UConn Falls To 16th/17th | The Boneyard

UConn Falls To 16th/17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
TG- I thought we would be out of the top 25.

Reaction Score
I didn't expect UConn to drop out of the top 25, but based on their play of late, 16 & 17 is generous. At those spots they're at a go up or get kicked out out (or close to it) state in the polls. If they beat WVU tonight and ND on the road Saturday, they'll probably move up a tad depending on what the rest of the field does. But lose one or both games, expect them to continue to slide.

What hurts them is they do not have any wins over top 25 teams (well at the moment 1 at home over #25 Coaches Poll, Harvard) and won't play a top 25 team till the beginning of February, assuming Georgetown is still in there. They have to string a whole bunch of Ws together against (WVU, ND, Cincy, Tenn & ND again), probably going 4-1 to stay in the top 25. This is what happens when you don't have any OCC games against top 25 teams. Now if they had some OCC games against top 25 opponents, maybe they wouldn't have won those games and this would all be a moot point.

With this said, I really don't know what to make of this team. I'm not saying they aren't and/or won't be a clear top 25 team when it's all said and done, but at the moment they're not playing like one and are at risk of dropping out. I would not be shocked to see them go 3-2 or worse and drop out but play themselves back into the top 25 sometime before selection Sunday.

I can't recall if they dropped out of the top 25 after entering it last season. I think their strong OOC wins helped keep them in the top 25 during their late season ending swoon, and obviously helped them propel back high in the polls after their 5 BET Ws in 5 nights. This team simply doesn't have the signature OOC Ws to help them out in that regard, but they will have a chance to make their mark in February when they face GU, SH, UL, SU in back-to-back-to-back-to-back games. Coming out of those four 2-2 or better would obviously help their situation. 3-1 or 4-0 could vault them back into the top half of the top 25 depending on where they are at the time. The last 6 games (5 in Feb and 1 in March) have important games against currently ranked Marquette and SU, but unless things turn around dramatically for Nova & Pitt, these two games aren't going to give us much of a bump as it had looked before the season began.

Bottom line, get back to winning most of the time like top 25 teams do they'll be fine. If not, then it could be a scary bumpy ride. It's not the time to panic, but UConn needs to start winning and a W at home against WVU tonight would be a step in the right direction.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i thought we'd be ab out 20-22 or so. i think 16/17 is a tad generous given the 2 losses to "unranked" teams. Seton Hall not a bad loss, but Rutgers was horrible. i think we beat FSU when they were top 25, but they certainly aren't any longer...

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
i thought we'd be ab out 20-22 or so. i think 16/17 is a tad generous given the 2 losses to "unranked" teams. Seton Hall not a bad loss, but Rutgers was horrible. i think we beat FSU when they were top 25, but they certainly aren't any longer...
Don't forget FL lost to Rutgers too, so RU isn't a WTF loss it would have been. I don't mind the 16/17 as the team is still finding it's way but gives us a chance to move into a 3/4 seed if we don't screw it up too badly.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Nothing a tad generous here.

The Top 25 next wee? Then they earned it with 2 wins

Losses to both WVU and ND? Then read the fine print.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom