UConn Fall Ball/Alumni Game | The Boneyard

UConn Fall Ball/Alumni Game

Reaction Score

>>The Huskies hit the road on Saturday, Sept. 28 for its first exhibition game of the fall against the Rhode Island Rams at 12 p.m. at Bill Beck Field. UConn welcomes Academie Baseball Canada on Friday, Oct. 4 at a time to be determined. The game will be played at Eastern Connecticut State University.

UConn wraps up the fall season with an exhibition contest against Niagara County Community College on Saturday, Oct. 12 at 4 p.m. at Eastern Connecticut State University. A rain date is set for Oct. 13 (if necessary).<<

Reaction Score
He realizes he is a RS Soph. next year (he was referring to last year).

Reaction Score
Alright @dbmill - are you in fall ball roster analysis form?

Don't know for absolute certainty, but I've gotten the idea that with the exception of the juniors who went pro, any player on last season's roster who had remaining eligibility is back and playing fall ball for UConn. For college baseball, I have to think that is almost unheard of. I hope to go to the Alumni Game next weekend, and hopefully a quick scan of an available roster sheet will confirm that notion, and find out for sure who the newcomers to the team are.

Reaction Score
Alright @dbmill - are you in fall ball roster analysis form?

Also, judging from the scrimmage roster sheet posted above, in addition to Crawford and Ben Casparius, UConn has several potential two way players on the roster this season. Redshirt freshman Adam Schwartz and Zach Donahue potentially fit into that bill as well.

Also, between the returning players and the newcomers, I am guessing the total numbers of players on the fall ball roster is around 46 or so. As always, the cuts to make it down to the 35 man spring roster will be interesting. The last couple of seasons have also seen UConn listing an extra 4 players on the spring roster in addition to the 35 who make the team who are actually redshirting and are not able to practice with the team during the spring season. I kind of think of these players as forming a sort of a taxi squad for possible involvement in future seasons.

Reaction Score
Interesting Fall Ball addition?

>>Eli Thomas, who remains a UConn captain despite the fact his football playing days are over, might continue his athletic career in Storrs nonetheless.

Thomas, a linebacker who suffered a stroke prior to a team weightlifting session some 11 months ago, tried out for coach Jim Penders’ UConn baseball team this week. There’s no word yet if Thomas, who ran track in high school, will officially join the baseball Huskies.

As for his time with the football team, UConn coach Randy Edsall says the senior from Elmira, New York, continues to be an inspiration. “Eli’s been great. He’s been out on the field at practice, going up to guys and talking to them,” Edsall said Tuesday.

Thomas held out hope before the season began that he might play football again, but his doctors advised against it.

Still, he has remained with the Huskies through nearly every drill in practice and play on game days. “Just his energy and his love to compete is something that is infectious,” Edsall said. “He was a guy that was basically a 1-man band trying to get that stuff changed around. As other people saw him they said ‘Wow! This kid is pretty special.”<<

Reaction Score
Interesting Fall Ball addition?

>>Eli Thomas, who remains a UConn captain despite the fact his football playing days are over, might continue his athletic career in Storrs nonetheless.

Thomas, a linebacker who suffered a stroke prior to a team weightlifting session some 11 months ago, tried out for coach Jim Penders’ UConn baseball team this week. There’s no word yet if Thomas, who ran track in high school, will officially join the baseball Huskies.

As for his time with the football team, UConn coach Randy Edsall says the senior from Elmira, New York, continues to be an inspiration. “Eli’s been great. He’s been out on the field at practice, going up to guys and talking to them,” Edsall said Tuesday.

Thomas held out hope before the season began that he might play football again, but his doctors advised against it.

Still, he has remained with the Huskies through nearly every drill in practice and play on game days. “Just his energy and his love to compete is something that is infectious,” Edsall said. “He was a guy that was basically a 1-man band trying to get that stuff changed around. As other people saw him they said ‘Wow! This kid is pretty special.”<<
That would be a tremendous story if he makes it!!

Reaction Score
Don't know for absolute certainty, but I've gotten the idea that with the exception of the juniors who went pro, any player on last season's roster who had remaining eligibility is back and playing fall ball for UConn. For college baseball, I have to think that is almost unheard of. I hope to go to the Alumni Game next weekend, and hopefully a quick scan of an available roster sheet will confirm that notion, and find out for sure who the newcomers to the team are.
I count 55 if everyone with eligibility is back (Returnees plus redshirts and spring cuts) adding in the reported transfers and freshmen.

5 Transfers
8 Spring 2019 Cuts
9 Redshirts
13 Freshmen
20 Returnees

Reaction Score
I count 55 if everyone with eligibility is back (Returnees plus redshirts and spring cuts) adding in the reported transfers and freshmen.

5 Transfers
8 Spring 2019 Cuts
9 Redshirts
13 Freshmen
20 Returnees

I am only counting players who were listed on the 35 man 2019 spring roster, plus the four redshirt taxi squad guys (Bigelow, Ferrer, Bonvicini, and Bagdasarian) who were listed but not eligible to play. I am not counting anyone from the 2018 fall ball roster who was not listed on the 2019 spring roster. Those 2018 fall ball guys could be around, but I'm not counting on it. Also, I suspect one of the incoming freshmen is not actually on the fall ball roster, but I was waiting until Sunday and the Alumni Game to confirm it.

My breakdown would be this:

3 transfers from D1 schools
2 JUCOS
12 Freshmen
29 Returnees (including redshirts and the four man taxi squad, who were also redshirts)

Edit: Just remembered. Luke Broadhurst who was cut from the fall ball roster ended up at Eastern Connecticut. Don't know about the other guys who got cut from fall ball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After some research and cutting down a couple of guys who I was counting that moved on I am down to 53 that I know of linked to the program that have eligibility as follows:

Name Pos. Year Status
Reggie Crawford LHP Fr. First-year
Chris Brown INF Fr. First-year
Zach Donahue RHP Fr. First-year
Sam Favieri RHP Fr. First-year
Tyler Griggs INF Fr. First-year
Gavin Kee OF Fr. First-year
Andrew Marrero RHP Fr. First-year
Max Nielsen LHP Fr. First-year
Garrett Coe LHP Fr. First-year
Joshua Cohen RHP Fr. First-year
Patrick Gallagher RHP Fr. First-year
Todd Petersen INF Fr. First-year
Ryan Hyde C/OF Fr. First-year
Cole Broadnansky C/1B Sr. On Roster
Kyler Fedko OF/INF So. On Roster
Michael Chiovitti OF Sr. On Roster
Christian Fedko INF Jr. On Roster
Paul Gozzo C RJr. On Roster
Colby Dunlop RHP Jr. On Roster
Chris Winkel 1B/OF Sr. On Roster
Anthony Nucerino OF RJr. On Roster
Karl Johnson RHP RSo. On Roster
Will Lucas INF So. On Roster
Conor Moriarty INF Sr. On Roster
Ben Maycock OF RJr. On Roster
Caleb Wurster LHP RSo. On Roster
Joe Simeone RHP Jr. On Roster
Jimmy Wang RHP RSo. On Roster
Randy Polonia RHP RSr. On Roster
Angus Mayock RHP RSo. On Roster
David Langer INF Sr. On Roster
Pat Winkel C So. On Roster
Kenny Haus RHP Sr. On Roster
Andy Hague INF RSo. Redshirted
Tyler Briggs RHP RFr. Redshirted
Tim Pfaffenbichler RHP RFr. Redshirted
Adam Schwartz OF/RHP RFr. Redshirted
Jake Sanderson RHP RFr. Redshirted
Ryan Bagdasarian OF RJr. Redshirted
Matt Bonvicini 1B RSo. Redshirted
Kevin Ferrer OF RFr. Redshirted
Lief Bigelow RHP RFr. Redshirted
Michael Yarin INF RFr. Spring Cut
Colin Sparaco RHP RFr. Spring Cut
AJ Denny LHP RSo. Spring Cut
Justin Lanese INF RSo. Spring Cut
Nate Panzer OF RSo. Spring Cut
Matt Catalfo OF RJr. Spring Cut
Justin Willis RHP RSo. Transfer
Ben Casparius INF/RHP Jr. Transfer
Erik Stock INF/RHP Jr. Transfer
Zach Bushling INF Jr. Transfer
Nick Krauth RHP Jr. Transfer

Reaction Score
After some research and cutting down a couple of guys who I was counting that moved on I am down to 53 that I know of linked to the program that have eligibility as follows:

Name Pos. Year Status
Reggie Crawford LHP Fr. First-year
Chris Brown INF Fr. First-year
Zach Donahue RHP Fr. First-year
Sam Favieri RHP Fr. First-year
Tyler Griggs INF Fr. First-year
Gavin Kee OF Fr. First-year
Andrew Marrero RHP Fr. First-year
Max Nielsen LHP Fr. First-year
Garrett Coe LHP Fr. First-year
Joshua Cohen RHP Fr. First-year
Patrick Gallagher RHP Fr. First-year
Todd Petersen INF Fr. First-year
Ryan Hyde C/OF Fr. First-year
Cole Broadnansky C/1B Sr. On Roster
Kyler Fedko OF/INF So. On Roster
Michael Chiovitti OF Sr. On Roster
Christian Fedko INF Jr. On Roster
Paul Gozzo C RJr. On Roster
Colby Dunlop RHP Jr. On Roster
Chris Winkel 1B/OF Sr. On Roster
Anthony Nucerino OF RJr. On Roster
Karl Johnson RHP RSo. On Roster
Will Lucas INF So. On Roster
Conor Moriarty INF Sr. On Roster
Ben Maycock OF RJr. On Roster
Caleb Wurster LHP RSo. On Roster
Joe Simeone RHP Jr. On Roster
Jimmy Wang RHP RSo. On Roster
Randy Polonia RHP RSr. On Roster
Angus Mayock RHP RSo. On Roster
David Langer INF Sr. On Roster
Pat Winkel C So. On Roster
Kenny Haus RHP Sr. On Roster
Andy Hague INF RSo. Redshirted
Tyler Briggs RHP RFr. Redshirted
Tim Pfaffenbichler RHP RFr. Redshirted
Adam Schwartz OF/RHP RFr. Redshirted
Jake Sanderson RHP RFr. Redshirted
Ryan Bagdasarian OF RJr. Redshirted
Matt Bonvicini 1B RSo. Redshirted
Kevin Ferrer OF RFr. Redshirted
Lief Bigelow RHP RFr. Redshirted
Michael Yarin INF RFr. Spring Cut
Colin Sparaco RHP RFr. Spring Cut
AJ Denny LHP RSo. Spring Cut
Justin Lanese INF RSo. Spring Cut
Nate Panzer OF RSo. Spring Cut
Matt Catalfo OF RJr. Spring Cut
Justin Willis RHP RSo. Transfer
Ben Casparius INF/RHP Jr. Transfer
Erik Stock INF/RHP Jr. Transfer
Zach Bushling INF Jr. Transfer
Nick Krauth RHP Jr. Transfer

Good to have a list to go off of, that is much appreciated.

However, I will repeat that when I said that I stated that I had the idea that anyone with eligibility remaining on the roster had returned to the baseball team for UConn's fall ball season, I was referring to last season's spring roster, not the 2018 fall ball roster. UConn baseball had basically cut these guys loose, and were no longer a part of team. It wouldn't surprise me that one or two of the guys labeled as spring cuts try out for the team, but not the whole bunch of them. I also heard there were around 46 players on the fall ball roster, but we will find out for sure tomorrow. I'm inclined to think these fall ball numbers can fluctuate.

As for this list, I could be wrong, but I think Jake Sanderson pitched too much last season and too late in the season to be counted as a redshirt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
46 players on fall roster

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_134438.jpg
    IMG_20190922_134438.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 152
Reaction Score
46 players on fall roster

Thanks for posting. There were no stacks of rosters at the Alumni game today, I'm guessing having the festivities in Hartford had something to do with that.

Since I started attending the Alumni game several years ago, this is the first time that I can remember where there were no surprise additions or deletions to the fall ball roster. Every player who was listed on the 2019 spring roster who did not graduate or go pro is back for the UConn baseball fall ball season. With the limitations on scholarships in college baseball, I would never expected to see something like that on any Division 1 baseball team.

As for newcomers, there are the previously reported 2 JUCO transfers, and 3 division 1 transfers on the roster, as well as 12 freshmen who had been previously reported as coming to UConn baseball. The only freshman player who was not listed on the roster was Ryan Hyde, who had tweeted in the spring that he was attending UConn, which caused me to list him as being an incoming freshmen recruit. However, I never saw an actual report by anyone that he was going to be joining the UConn baseball team. That fact really started to bug me this past week, so I was not surprised when he did not turn up on the fall roster.

Reaction Score
On the fall roster, Zach Donahue is listed as an infielder. The recruiting websites that I've seen have tended to list him as a pitcher.

Reaction Score
As for the alumni game, Jimmy Wang was the starting pitcher. The only freshman who started was Reggie Crawford at 1B, with Chris Winkel moved over to CF. Never base much on who starts the alumni game, but always interesting to see a freshman get the nod.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom