UConn Faces Financial Challenges Going Forward | The Boneyard

UConn Faces Financial Challenges Going Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I posted this on the realignment board but I believe it's important for all of us to understand the challenges facing UConn moving forward and how it intertwines with the need for us to overcome our current lack of P-5 affiliation. As they like to say, follow the money. The State provides 29% of UConn's funding. This is not going up. The UConn Foundation has lots of hard work ahead of it. We not only want a $1B endowment, Susan Herbst demands it. We are only a third of the way there, having squandered years of opportunity. We have, however, in Susan Herbst a president who sees the writing on the wall and has a plan for success. Listen to this 5 min excerpt of her State of UConn speech this summer .One thing you'll hear is how the State's role is diminishing and how easy it is to backslide from all that we've built so far. Rest assured she is acutely aware of our need to become attractive to the P-5. I encourage you to listen to her full 43 min speech which can be found on YouTube.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/3810822

Reaction Score
I met with someone from the Foundation on Thursday. They had a record fundraising year and the new guy from Emory is doing some good things. Properly organized and staffed they will bring in enough money. But yes lots of hard work ahead.

Reaction Score
There will be financial challenges for all non schools, but if and when re-alignment happens again, we just need to be ahead of the remaining candidates for expansion. I believe Uconn is in a better position than cincy and a few others.

but agree that there are significant challenges ahead, we'll be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul