UConn extends partnership w/ Nike through 2023 | The Boneyard

UConn extends partnership w/ Nike through 2023

Reaction Score
>>“Nike has been an important part of the development of UConn football and it has given us an important association with their national brand,” said football coach Randy Edsall, who has led UConn to five bowl appearances and two conference championships. “We have won championships wearing Nike gear and I am looking forward to that happening again. I am very happy that UConn and Nike will be partners in the future.” <<

Reaction Score
Cue the Electric Blue Uniforms with tennis ball green accents.

Reaction Score

UConn Extends Nike Sponsorship Through 2022-23

>>The total value of the contract to the University from 2017-23 in combined product and cash is $32.45 million.<<

Prior 10 year agreement (signed in 2008) was for $46m

Works out to about $5.4 mill/yr. Looks like Kyle Muncy was right on target when he answered my question at the end of last season. The increase of just around $1 mill/yr shows the value of UConn gear sales to the fanbase.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone know how that compares to other schools Nike contract?

Reaction Score
This includes the cost of Nike uniforms. Unless the cash portion went way up, this feels like the the contract went down based on today's dollars and the valuation placed on the Nike uniforms no doubt went up.

Reaction Score
Anyone know how that compares to other schools Nike contract?

From similar thread on Basketball Forum for a ballpark guesstimate:
P5 Contracts:
college-apparel-deals-img.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We'd have the 15th best deal in the P5. IIRC wasn't our original deal top 5+?

Reaction Score
IIRC wasn't our original deal top 5+?

Looking for the contract/articles earlier today I don't believe that to be true but it was still a good contract then (even 10 years ago the big boys were still a bit ahead of UConn).

Reaction Score
This includes the cost of Nike uniforms. Unless the cash portion went way up, this feels like the the contract went down based on today's dollars and the valuation placed on the Nike uniforms no doubt went up.
That's how these deals are done..they figure in amount of uniforms/equipment and cash. That gives them the annual payment amount. IMHO Benedict knows the deal and wouldn't have turned down more $$ from another company like Adidas or UA. He negotiated a sweet UA deal for Auburn before he left and came here. No way the BOT would allow them to turn down money for the athletic department in this day and age. At the end of the day Nike ponies up close to $1 mill/yr more to keep a G-5 school. This is because the UConn fan base buys UConn branded gear.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As long as Nike can come up with a better product than the nightmare UConn is currently stuck with. That cartoon helmet that was just before the current one was embarrassing. I hope they hire someone who can think outside of the box and come up with something truly unique yet aesthetically pleasing for the common and traditional fan. Why can't they come up with a design that fades colors from one to another in an attempt to add a 3 dimensional look to the uniforms. Like with the numbers and names or stripes down the pants. Or the name "Huskies" down the leg like what Boise St does on their pant leg, just in a 3 dimensional style. Something that is different from what everyone else is doing yet classy and clean. Come on Nike, make up for that last poor attempt with something that UA will turn green with envy over.

Reaction Score
As long as Nike can come up with a better product than the nightmare UConn is currently stuck with. That cartoon helmet that was just before the current one was embarrassing. I hope they hire someone who can think outside of the box and come up with something truly unique yet aesthetically pleasing for the common and traditional fan. Why can't they come up with a design that fades colors from one to another in an attempt to add a 3 dimensional look to the uniforms. Like with the numbers and names or stripes down the pants. Or the name "Huskies" down the leg like what Boise St does on their pant leg, just in a 3 dimensional style. Something that is different from what everyone else is doing yet classy and clean. Come on Nike, make up for that last poor attempt with something that UA will turn green with envy over.
They tried going for something unique with the husky eyes and basically everybody *****ed about it. There's nothing wrong with the current unis/helmets, especially the alternates. Could be better for sure, but not a 'nightmare'.

Some people just like to complain.

Reaction Score

>>Nearly 30 percent of what UConn will take in from its new exclusive sponsorship agreement with Nike can be deposited in the bank. The UConn athletic department will have $9 million to use at its discretion. The remaining $23.45 million of the $32.45 million deal, which spans seven years, will be represented by uniforms, apparel, gear and equipment. The sponsorship agreement announced Wednesday — signed by UConn June 21 and Nike June 22 — was a five-year extension to an existing contract that was set to expire after the 2017-18 academic year.<<

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
$23M on gear, equipment, uniforms, seems like an utterly insane amount of money. Especially considering half of the stuff they probably manufacture for pennies overseas.

Reaction Score
Current talent level aside, looking at this deal compared to the other schools based off branding and merchandising it seems odd P5's haven't been interested. I know football rules all, but you'd think people would see that if Nike is investing in the school with a larger contract it must be a benefit to them. I've always heard Nike say positive things about the UConn merchandise revenues and for what it's worth you'd think people would accept that as an indicator of market value for what UConn would bring as an audience. I know there are more details that just this, but as a high level thought. Not to single them out overall, but Rutgers on that list is tiny compared to the other schools on there. If UConn were in the ACC for Nike sponsors they'd be at the top of the list with Duke and Florida St. with this contract.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom