UConn expected to host in-state foes — including CCSU, Sacred Heart — in non-conference games (Borges) | The Boneyard

UConn expected to host in-state foes — including CCSU, Sacred Heart — in non-conference games (Borges)

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here<

>>UConn is expected to play just three non-conference home games this season, and it will likely be against instate opponents. Although nothing is official yet, Central Connectiut State, coached by Husky legend Donyell Marshall, and Sacred Heart are expected to be two of the foes. It’s not clear who the third opponent would be. Sources have indicated that it is unlikely to be either Quinnipiac or Hartford, although things can change on a dime during these unprecedented times. Since the Ivy League has canceled all sports until after Jan. 1, it won’t be Yale.<<

>>UConn Athletic Director David Benedict said he hopes to have a clear answer on whether fans will be able to attend UConn’s home games by the end of October. “That will give us enough time to communicate to our people as to what we’re going to be able to do, or not do,” he said. “We’ll go from there.”<<

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
And we thought the AAC is boring.....................................
Ridiculous

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What are you even talking about
Why these teams?
Why not some regionals like UVM, UMass, URI
Thats what I am talking about - why instate foes - if you can't play Yale then look elswhere

Reaction Score
With Yale unavailable until sometime next year, Hartford and Quinnipiac being unlikely and New Haven potentially toying with Div I yet still a Div II school, Fairfield's the only additional in-state Div I option to Central and SHU in 2020.

Reaction Score
I was hoping a P5 team playing in a different MTE at Mohegan would make a trip up to Storrs before returning home.

Reaction Score
Resident Sacred Heart fan here.

Anthony Latina is a really fun coach to watch. He's a passionate, energetic coach and his teams have no quit.

It'll be a down year for Sacred Heart but look for Amity's Tyler Thomas to step up this year. In his freshman year, Thomas averaged 19 minutes/game, but had a couple big nights last season when the backcourt had injury woes. The team also brings in a JUCO forward Cantavio Dutreil who played high school ball at Trinity-Catholic, so there's two CT ties for the Pioneers.

And for those of you complaining, they play just three cupcakes this year. Name me one team in the history of NCAA basketball who hasn't played three cupcakes in a year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And we thought the AAC is boring.....................................
Ridiculous
That's an odd framing.

I'm wondering if you think that 3 in-state out of conference games would be less boring if a full conference schedule would also be played against AAC opponents.

Reaction Score
Why these teams?
Why not some regionals like UVM, UMass, URI
Thats what I am talking about - why instate foes - if you can't play Yale then look elswhere
I suspect because of COVID travel restrictions the trend is to stay close to home.

Reaction Score
I am hearing UConn may be looking at playing a game or two extra in the bubble at Mohegan. Besides the tournament they are in.
Once again, Mohegan has way more to offer than the XL Center. Hartford could have hosted a bubble, but they would lose money on a game with zero fans. Mohegan on the other hand, would love to have these bubbles for free advertisement alone most likely.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
They should expand big east play if they aren't doing out of conference games.

Reaction Score
Anyone taking issue with any team’s schedule this season just wants to whine and complain for the sake of doing so. Difficult doesn’t even begin to start to explain it, and I think the teams who primarily aim to be able to get in all of their allowed OOC games (chunking the games, decreasing travel as much as possible) will fare the best. Heading into conference play with a significant number of OOC games having been cancelled is the nightmare everyone’s trying to avoid.

Reaction Score
A little bit about the Big East schedule from Kevin Willard of Seton Hall.

The Big East schedule will begin around Dec. 13 with each team playing 4-5 league games in December. Last year league play began Dec. 29.

“I think it’s necessary because I think you need to build in a couple weeks into the later part of your schedule where you can make up games or be flexible,” Willard said. “Maybe if you have to play Providence a third time or a fourth time because they lost some games, I think it’s important to have those weeks built in.”

As for the league itself, Villanova is loaded again and figures to be the league favorite, with Creighton, UConn, Seton Hall and Providence also near the top.

“I think the league is going to be much more balanced out than year’s past,” Willard said. “I think UConn coming in and going to 20 games, I think it’s just going to add two more incredibly tough games. I don’t know what the bottom of the conference is going to look like, but I think 1 through 8 or 9 is going to be really strong.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom