Uconn email to Fans | The Boneyard

Uconn email to Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just received this:
Message from the University of Connecticut
UConn President Susan Herbst
"I know this may seem like a tough moment for our fans, but we need to focus on the fundamentals of academic success across the university and in our athletic program as well. We are winners -- we win, we like to win and we will continue to play the best possible opponents. We will be athletically successful, regardless of our conference, because of our successes in NCAA competition. We will keep building our winning record through the lens of a great university, that focuses on academics, not on the fluid and unpredictable nature of conference realignment. Again, I realize this is a difficult day, but when we focus on research, discovery, and student success, we'll never go wrong."
UConn Director of Athletics Warde Manuel
“Conference realignment is a prominent national issue in collegiate athletics and will continue to be so into the future. UConn has established a rich history as a very successful academic and athletic institution. We understand that because of that UConn will continue to be brought up in the discussion regarding potential schools considered in realignment.
“We have and will continue to monitor the situation regarding conference realignment and work to ensure that UConn is in the best position for the continued success of our athletic programs. We are proud of the success of our coaches and student-athletes and the tradition that has been established of winning conference and national championships.
“We are proud and appreciative of our great Husky fan base. Husky Nation is strong all over the country and the world. UConn has one of the most captive audiences of any school in the country and we have strong penetration in several of the nation’s largest television markets.”
The UConn men’s basketball program has won three national championships since 1999 – the only school to do so in this time period – and one of just seven programs in the history of the game to win three or more titles.​
The UConn football team has made incredible strides since it moved to the FBS in 2002. The Huskies have won two BIG EAST Championships, played in five bowl games – including four over the past five seasons -- and became the fastest program to rise from FBS inception to an appearance in a BCS game in history.​
The excellence of the women’s basketball program is unparalleled to any school in the country as UConn has won seven national championships and appeared in 13 Finals Fours, including five straight.​
Olympics sports programs at UConn are successful and have competed in and won NCAA national championship play in a number of them.​
UConn will further enhance its athletic program in the 2014-15 academic year as its men’s ice hockey team begins play in Hockey East, the premier league in the country for that sport. Connecticut will become one of just nine institutions nationally to play men’s basketball, women’s basketball, football and men’s ice hockey in a major conference. "​
Mostly a rehash of everything else we've already read​

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Manuel is saying the big east is going to be a power conference? He still has no idea what's going on.

Reaction Score
I know there is the academic side to all this but Herbst and Manuel know the school is in for the world of hurt. They are probably shocked and embarassed. I will still give my annual donation and such so I am not talking about me but the UCADF will take a major hit, the revenue they get from ticket sales, game day sales on merchandise are going to suffer big time, the brand has been damaged big time. Uconn fans will see Cuse, Pitt, BCU, L'Ville playing HUGE basketball games on ESPN against Dook, UNC, NC STate and the like and it will just make them angrier.

If nothing changes and football starts playing games against SMU, ECU, Houston, UCF, Memphis, Tulane, etc The Rent will be half empty (or more). Herbst and Manuel will high tail it out of Uconn and the dark days will set in. I don't think I am over stating this one bit. This was probably the most significant day in Uconn sports since Jim Calhoun was hired by John Toner.

Reaction Score
"We are winners -- we win, we like to win and we will continue to play the best possible opponents."

Good grief. We lost and are at this moment in time (and for the foreseeable future) stuck in a conference full of losers and leftovers. Don't try and blow smoke up our arses Susan. Just do your damn job and figure out how to extract the school from this quagmire.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Connecticut will become one of just nine institutions nationally to play men’s basketball, women’s basketball, football and men’s ice hockey in a major conference. "

Until 2014 when only Hockey will. We are .

Reaction Score
This is as clear a sign as ever that there is currently nothing in the pipeline. Now is also not the time to be touting about our academic success. This was a colossal athletic failure, backing it up by saying, "Well, hey, at least we're smart!" is not the way to handle the situation.

Reaction Score
"We are winners -- we win, we like to win and we will continue to play the best possible opponents."

Good grief. We lost and are at this moment in time (and for the foreseeable future) stuck in a conference full of losers and leftovers. Don't try and blow smoke up our arses Susan. Just do your damn job and figure out how to extract the school from this quagmire.

All that's missing is for her to go all in and say "we're winners, not chicken dinners."

Reaction Score
I know there is the academic side to all this but Herbst and Manuel know the school is in for the world of hurt. They are probably shocked and embarassed. I will still give my annual donation and such so I am not talking about me but the UCADF will take a major hit, the revenue they get from ticket sales, game day sales on merchandise are going to suffer big time, the brand has been damaged big time. Uconn fans will see Cuse, Pitt, BCU, L'Ville playing HUGE basketball games on ESPN against Dook, UNC, NC STate and the like and it will just make them angrier.

If nothing changes and football starts playing games against SMU, ECU, Houston, UCF, Memphis, Tulane, etc The Rent will be half empty (or more). Herbst and Manuel will high tail it out of Uconn and the dark days will set in. I don't think I am over stating this one bit. This was probably the most significant day in Uconn sports since Jim Calhoun was hired by John Toner.
ECU gets better football crowds than us. And they've been in C-USA for a while. Giving up will not help.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I received that email too. How dumb do they think we are? I actually feel insulted after reading that email.

They'd be much better off just saying nothing than trying wrap this turd in bacon and feed it to me as a dessert!

Reaction Score
ECU gets better football crowds than us. And they've been in C-USA for a while. Giving up will not help.
I am not talking about ECU football crowds. I am talking about Uconn football crowds. And while I am not talking about myself, you are nuts if you think the "casual Uconn fan" (which many are needed to fill up The Rent) will be showing up to watch games versus those opponents. I hope we never have to test my theory.

Reaction Score
I received that email too. How dumb do they think we are? I actually feel insulted after reading that email.

They'd be much better off just saying nothing than trying wrap this turd in bacon and feed it to me as a dessert!
tha twould be my view, if somewhat less colorfully stated.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That email made me want to smash my phone to bits. for that email, Herbst.

Reaction Score
It's really bad when you feel much better about things when the president and AD don't open their mouths. Why even put out a statement if this is what you are going to say? I was always on board with Herbst but she is clearly failing, Manuel just seems like an idiot to me.

Reaction Score
This is the best they could put together. Pathetic. I have been willing to give Herbst and Manuel the benefit of the doubt but this shows they are in over their heads. Great academics and athletics do not have to be mutually exclusive

Reaction Score
“Conference realignment is a prominent national issue in collegiate athletics and will continue to be so into the future. UConn has established a rich history as a very successful academic and athletic institution. We understand that because of that UConn will continue to be brought up in the discussion regarding potential schools considered in realignment.
“We have and will continue to monitor the situation regarding conference realignment and work to ensure that UConn is in the best position for the continued success of our athletic programs. We are proud of the success of our coaches and student-athletes and the tradition that has been established of winning conference and national championships.
“We are proud and appreciative of our great Husky fan base. Husky Nation is strong all over the country and the world. UConn has one of the most captive audiences of any school in the country and we have strong penetration in several of the nation’s largest television markets.”
99avW.jpg

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Would it be inappropriate or in bad taste to make a photocopy of my ass, scan it as a pdf file, and e-mail it to Herbst and Manuel so they know my feelings of them???....

Reaction Score
This is how screwed up UConn communication is. So, an email has gone out to UConn constituents. Well, I haven't gotten one yet. I get emails from at least 5 UConn sources, but no email today.

Reaction Score
This is as clear a sign as ever that there is currently nothing in the pipeline. Now is also not the time to be touting about our academic success. This was a colossal athletic failure, backing it up by saying, "Well, hey, at least we're smart!" is not the way to handle the situation.

So very true. Better that they say nothing at all. They got beat. Period!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
This is how screwed up UConn communication is. So, an email has gone out to UConn constituents. Well, I haven't gotten one yet. I get emails from at least 5 UConn sources, but no email today.
See, the university infrastructure is starting to crumble already.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Would they welcome him back to...ummm...Buffalo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom