UConn Early Signing Day Thread/Info for 12/19/18-12/21/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Early Signing Day Thread/Info for 12/19/18-12/21/18

Reaction Score
So Cam Ross isn’t signing until Feb? The Hartford Courant reporter thinks him not signing today means he’s a flip
I think so too.. He's probably got a lot folks in his ear about signing with a bigger profile program... they are downing our program big time (we gave them ammunition for that)... BUT, one thing that kid is missing out on.. the turnaround.. I wish him well wherever he ends up...

Reaction Score
Rayonte Brown. To an extent, Eric Watts, Myles Bell's late commitment., Zergiotis? Still hopeful for three more. Ford, Ross and Anderson.
Ford and/or Anderson would be a HUGE day for us today.. IMO

Reaction Score
I think so too.. He's probably got a lot folks in his ear about signing with a bigger profile program... they are downing our program big time (we gave them ammunition for that)... BUT, one thing that kid is missing out on.. the turnaround.. I wish him well wherever he ends up...

His highlights show him running away from everyone and I immediately thought we're in trouble. Let's hope the staff can get him back.

Reaction Score
As to Ford, read this from today's Chattanooga Times Free Press. Just might be why Ford is in limbo, but if that's the case we must be second on his priority list if he's not signing while the other suitor is in disarray.

Who is in the running to become the new head football coach for the Mocs?
Coach search trumps signing period for Mocs

December 19th, 2018 by Gene Henley in Sports - College Read Time: 2 mins.

There will be no early signing period for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football program today.
The administration has a bigger task at hand.

We make it easy for you to keep up with your community

Subscribe now for unlimited access to the Times Free Press

Former head coach Tom Arth's abrupt exit last Friday after only two seasons has left the program in disarray with the early period starting today. The Mocs do have commitments from seven players but aren't expecting any of them to sign as the administration searches for a head coach.
Sources have told the Times Free Press that former UTC player and assistant coach Rusty Wright has interviewed for the position, as has current UT-Martin head coach Jason Simpson, who was UTC's offensive coordinator from 2003 to 2005.
Another source confirmed the candidacy of Jamey Chadwell, who spent four seasons as the head coach at Charleston Southern and is currently the offensive coordinator at Coastal Carolina. Chadwell, a finalist for the UTC job in 2016, was 35-14 in four seasons at CSU, which included two Football Championship Subdivision playoff appearances.
Chadwell, Wright and Furman offensive coordinator George Quarles have been the early leaders for the position, with multiple sources telling the Times Free Press that Chadwell "is the favorite." But according to sources, Wright had an excellent interview and is receiving "serious consideration" for the job. He played at UTC from 1992 to 1995 and had coaching stints in Chattanooga from 1996 to 2002 and was linebackers coach and special teams coordinator from 2013 to 2016 under former head coach Russ Huesman.
Like Chadwell, Wright interviewed for the head coach position in 2016.
Quarles spent 18 seasons as head coach at Maryville (Tennessee) High School, compiling a 250-16 record with 11 state championships in 15 seasons.
In 13 seasons at UTM, Simpson is 80-68. He was a candidate for the UTC job when Huesman was hired.
Also expected to be considered are Lenoir-Rhyne head coach Drew Cronin and Louisville assistant Lorenzo Ward, who served as the interim head coach for the Cardinals after Bobby Petrino was fired during the 2018 season. Ward was an assistant at UTC from 1994 to 1998, while Cronin led the Bears to a 12-2 record and the NCAA Division II national quarterfinals in his lone season so far.
Cronin spent five seasons at NAIA member Reinhardt (2012-16), including the final two as head coach when he compiled a 22-3 record. He had a pair of stints as an assistant at Furman, including the 2017 season when he was the offensive coordinator.
A source said the process could be complete as early as Thursday.
The Mocs are coming off a 6-5 season, one that started with promise but ended with three losses. The team is expected to return nine offensive starters as well as six on defense.
Contact Gene Henley at ghenley@timesfreepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @genehenley3.

Reaction Score
Edsall Press Conference Live on UConn Football's Facebook page:

Gavin Keefe@GavinKeefe 2 minutes ago
Coach Edsall at the podium. "It was neat last night to see Byron Jones and Anthony Sherman get selected for the Pro Bowl this year. ... We've got some guys in this class that have those same kind of qualities."

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 3 minutes ago
"There are some guys we have letters from that we won't talk about until February due to what their high schools want to do at that time." - HC Randy Edsall #UConnFootball

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 39 seconds ago
Edsall says he has signed a few players he can't talk about as they plan signing events in February. Signed already with UConn, though.

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 1 minute ago
Edsall on grad transfer Michael Hinton: "He’ll fill a void that we need and bring leadership to our program."

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 2 minutes ago
Enrolling in the spring is DL Eric Watts - "We are VERY excited about him." - #UConnFootball HC Randy Edsall

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 1 minute ago
Edsall on LB Dillon Harris: “He’ll be here in the summer time (not in spring). A guy that will fill a need we have. An older guy and a good football player.”

Edsall on LB Jackson Mitchell: “This kid really impressed us in summer camp.”

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 1 minute ago
Edsall on Jackson Mitchell, a linebacker from Ridgefield: "He’s just a worker. Loves the game, loves to compete. He’s got a lot of growth potential as well." Mitchell attended football camp at UConn last summer.

Ahhh...
UConn RB coach Terry Richardson went to high school with DB Myles Bell's father.

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller 16 seconds ago
DB Winston Jules, LB Jackson Mitchell, QB Jack Zergiotis all took part in #UConn's camp and it gave staff a chance to see their talent and approach to football

Edsall: “These guys fit the mentality of what we want to do here…That’s the thing that excites me about these guys.”

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 3 minutes ago
Edsall on the size of class (it's at 11). "I could go to 25."

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller 29 seconds ago
Randy Edsall saw Ravonte Brown play basketball and said he reminded him of former #UConn OL Will Beatty

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 35 seconds ago
Edsall says he watched Rayonte Brown play basketball. Likes multi-sport athletes. Says Brown reminds him of Will Beatty with a thicker, bigger frame.

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 3 minutes ago
"There are some guys we have letters from that we won't talk about until February due to what their high schools want to do at that time." - HC Randy Edsall #UConnFootball

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 39 seconds ago
Edsall says he has signed a few players he can't talk about as they plan signing events in February. Signed already with UConn, though.

So Ross may have signed. Even more interesting is that there's at least one more signed and not announced. So at least 13 down and 8-12 to go.

Reaction Score
He's crazy about going back to one LOI period. That just helps the big schools poach from schools like UConn.

The fact that teams in the playoff have less time to recruit also helps the lesser schools by giving them more time with the kids. The way I look at it, anything that hurts Alabama or Ohio State is good for the rest of college football.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He's crazy about going back to one LOI period. That just helps the big schools poach from schools like UConn.

The fact that teams in the playoff have less time to recruit also helps the lesser schools by giving them more time with the kids. The way I look at it, anything that hurts Alabama or Ohio State is good for the rest of college football.

Palatine,

The "playoff" Randy was referring to was the FCS tournament.

Reaction Score
Palatine,

The "playoff" Randy was referring to was the FCS tournament.
He also mentioned bowl games, yes he also mentioned the 1AA playoff (which doesnt exist anymore) But he was speaking generally about post season, etc. My post still directly applies.

Reaction Score
He also mentioned bowl games, yes he also mentioned the 1AA playoff (which doesnt exist anymore) But he was speaking generally about post season, etc. My post still directly applies.

Hopefully he thinks that by the time they could make the change we'll be playing in one of those bowl game thingies................

Reaction Score
So looks like we will strikeout on signing a TE today. Big need for Feb.

If I am Summers I decommit this morning and start over. Could this play out like the Tim Boyle situation?

And btw- remember when people scoffed at this recruit because he had no D1 offers? Well - now what do you have to say?

Watts is the kind of kid in a similar situation, could have been snapped up at any moment by a bigger program and we lucked out.
North Greenville's loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom