UConn-Duke. New York. In the works. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-Duke. New York. In the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Always happy for another marquee matchup, but curious how legit this is. No idea how credible this blog is.
FWIW, it's Neil Ostrout, the men's basketball beat writer for the Journal Inquirer. Similar to blogs from Dave Borges & Dom Amore

Reaction Score
FWIW, it's Neil Ostrout, the men's basketball beat writer for the Journal Inquirer. Similar to blogs from Dave Borges & Dom Amore

Ahhh I didn't realize. That certainly helps, thanks.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Always happy for another marquee matchup, but curious how legit this is. No idea how credible this blog is.
Seeing as it's written by a UConn beat writer, I'd say its pretty credible.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Part of me wants us to tell the ACC teams to pound sand. If they want to play us, get us in the conference.
I'm sure that long-term someone can make the argument that may be a bad decision, but honestly, there are plenty of teams I'd like to think we can get into MSG.
Any B1G team?

How about home and home with schools like Arizona or Kansas?

Maybe it's just me.

I'm completely with this. F the ACC. That lousy conference has had ample amounts of opportunities to add UCONN and has, instead, opted to invite a community college, and two supposed "football" schools who have had less success than UCONN since we joined the Big East.

If I was Warde, I think we should hike up our skirt a little higher to some B1G schools. Schedule a game with Michigan at the Garden. Wisconsin. Ohio State. Indiana again. Heck, schedule a rematch with Sparty. I don't care who, but I would like to see us continue to show Jim Delany and his conference leaders the importance of having UCONN in its conference to fully capture the NYC market.

Duke would be a nice home and home series (Cameron and Gampel). But I'd rather not let any ACC school play in NYC on our account. That ship sailed when those bozos determined that the prestigious Louisville TV market was worth more than NYC.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'm completely with this. F the ACC. That lousy conference has had ample amounts of opportunities to add UCONN and has, instead, opted to invite a community college, and two supposed "football" schools who have had less success than UCONN since we joined the Big East.

If I was Warde, I think we should hike up our skirt a little higher to some B1G schools. Schedule a game with Michigan at the Garden. Wisconsin. Ohio State. Indiana again. Heck, schedule a rematch with Sparty. I don't care who, but I would like to see us continue to show Jim Delany and his conference leaders the importance of having UCONN in its conference to fully capture the NYC market.

Duke would be a nice home and home series (Cameron and Gampel). But I'd rather not let any ACC school play in NYC on our account. That ship sailed when those bozos determined that the prestigious Louisville TV market was worth more than NYC.

I think you are wrong here, this is a great strategy. First, Duke supported UConn joining the ACC so keeping that relationship going is important. But more importantly, these types of events throw a real cog in the B1G's goal of entering NYC. A cog that can only be resolved by bringing us into the fold so that such games are on the B1G network and not ESPN

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think you are wrong here, this is a great strategy. First, Duke supported UConn joining the ACC so keeping that relationship going is important. But more importantly, these types of events throw a real cog in the B1G's goal of entering NYC. A cog that can only be resolved by bringing us into the fold so that such games are on the B1G network and not ESPN

Okay, I see your reasoning. Apply some pressure to the B1G to add us quickly before the ACC does. I'm just very bitter with the ACC leadership. It's nice that Duke supported our inclusion but that didn't get us anywhere. BC, the Fruit, and southern football will always oppose UCONN either out of fear or because basketball isn't important enough.

Where I'm coming from is the more scheduling and communication that we have with B1G schools, the better. Not only does it open dialogue, but it also is a good measuring stick to see what other programs think of UCONN. I think a home and home with Duke would be something that they'd like and it would continue our good relationship that we have with them. But I'd rather reserve our NYC presence for B1G schools.

Reaction Score
Could this be part of the double header that is being worked on for the men's and women's BB teams next year at MSG or Barclays?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Part of me wants us to tell the ACC teams to pound sand. If they want to play us, get us in the conference.
I'm sure that long-term someone can make the argument that may be a bad decision, but honestly, there are plenty of teams I'd like to think we can get into MSG.
Any B1G team?

Maybe it's just me.
Every "leak" about voting was Duke voted every time for us so I won't hold it against them. Good game for us with high visibility.

Reaction Score
Could this be part of the double header that is being worked on for the men's and women's BB teams next year at MSG or Barclays?
Duke or UNC were rumored as both bring quality Mens/Women's hoops. Penn St has a decent women's team. We should over them a double header like this with one caveat a "third game" to be played at the Rent ;-).

Reaction Score
Duke or UNC were rumored as both bring quality Mens/Women's hoops. Penn St has a decent women's team. We should over them a double header like this with one caveat a "third game" to be played at the Rent ;-).

Someday, give me Duke/UConn FB at Yankee stadium at noon. Then at MSG it's Duke/UConn women BB at 7:00 PM and Duke/UConn men BB at 9:30 PM

All on ESPN. Let's show people who really owns NY. :cool:

Reaction Score
Did people honestly fall off the face of the earth after what's quoted here??? I don't think anyone thought the men's baseketball program was going anywhere when Calhoun retired.

I guess you are pushing your chest out.

Honestly: We have had a salty 2-4 years. We are down in attendance in hoop at both Hartford and Gampel. We are significantly more weak, with PP, at Rentschler. We need these young energy coaches - Diaco & Ollie - and we can be far better than we've ever been. But, you have to grow the Program. Seeds in the Garden ... as we say. I think part of the ACC's view of us was that Calhoun was all-consuming and we'd be a BIG question mark once he was gone. How do you like us now Swofford (you A hole)>?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I say look at any home/home matchups with anyone BUT ACC or NBE. why give them credibility and a chance to better their rpi?
Big 10, Big 12 or whatever those two are called- bring them on
ACC doesn't want us? go pound sand

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any B1G team?

Maybe it's just me.
No, its not just you. There was a time when I would not have given Dook a. NYC area game. But things have changed and we need good out conference games and allies wherever we can find them. Besides, its always fun to lay a beat down on the Dookies.

Reaction Score
Someday, give me Duke/UConn FB at Yankee stadium at noon. Then at MSG it's Duke/UConn women BB at 7:00 PM and Duke/UConn men BB at 9:30 PM

All on ESPN. Let's show people who really owns NY. :cool:

...So you're saying you want us to tailgate @ 7:00a then keep that buzz going all day to 11:30p through 3 UConn victories?

Challenge accepted.

Reaction Score
...So you're saying you want us to tailgate @ 7:00a then keep that buzz going all day to 11:30p through 3 UConn victories?

Challenge accepted.

images

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As long as it's not on the same day as a football game at the rent I'm ok with this!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I went to the last UConn/Duke game at MSG. 2010? Pathetic turnout for us. It was about 65/35 for Duke, at best. If this gets done we need to actually show up.

Reaction Score
I went to the last UConn/Duke game at MSG. 2010? Pathetic turnout for us. It was about 65/35 for Duke, at best. If this gets done we need to actually show up.

It's always interesting hearing peoples thoughts on attendance figures. I was at that game, and I thought it was 60-40 in favor of Uconn. We got our doors blown off pretty quickly in that game, so Uconn fans didnt have much to cheer about, beyond the 10 minute mark of the first half.

Reaction Score
I say don't do it. I want a Big Ten invite and don't agree that this will help. We have already shown to both the ACC and B1G what UConn brings to MSG games. We cannot improve upon this success with a regular season game and stand a chance for crappy weather related, bad turnout, which should be understood, but will not help our cause. Why choose to give either of them anymore of UConn's benefit without an invite? There are plenty of SEC, Big 12 and PAC teams for a wicked OOC. I think, maybe, perhaps... I don't know enough about CR to really offer much here but feel we give away our brand too easily right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom