UConn dominance on women's basketball recruiting trail stalls with 2019 class | The Boneyard

UConn dominance on women's basketball recruiting trail stalls with 2019 class

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For the first time in three years, UConn has failed to land the No. 1 prospect in the country. For the first time in six years, UConn's recruiting class has failed to rank among the top 20 in the nation. Time for the 11-time champions to panic? Not quite.

UConn entered the early signing period as a finalist for both No. 1 prospect Haley Jones and No. 3 prospect Aliyah Boston. Jones announced Wednesday that she had signed with Stanford; Boston announced last week that she had signed with South Carolina. It's a far cry from a year ago when UConn landed the two big prizes of signing week when No. 1 Christyn Williams and No. 5 Olivia Nelson-Ododalanded with the Huskies.

But it wasn't a total bust on the 2019 recruiting trail for Geno Auriemma, either. The Huskies secured a signature from Aubrey Griffin, a big and athletic guard out of Ossining, New York, who is ranked No. 33 in the country. Her ceiling is high and she projects to be a contributor early in her college career. Griffin missed time after suffering a knee injury her sophomore season. She came back as a junior to average 28.3 points, 8.7 rebounds, 3.2 steals, 2.9 assists and 1.6 blocks. The 6-foot-1 wing, the daughter of former NBA player Adrian Griffin, will give UConn an athletic guard who also provides versatility.

[Article]

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UConn will definitely be a four-out team for at least the next year. Olivia will be heavily relied on after Napheesa graduates. Hopeful lineup next year: Dangerfield-Walker-Williams-ONO-__?

Reaction Score
UConn will definitely be a four-out team for at least the next year. Olivia will be heavily relied on after Napheesa graduates. Hopeful lineup next year: Dangerfield-Walker-Williams-ONO-__?
My guess Coombs or Batouly if she stays and wants to continue fighting her body.

Reaction Score
If Coombs doesn't improve her shooting she may start the season as a starter but will not finish it that way. We will be extremely challenged in the size department so it's rebound by committee... Hence, hard to keep a 6'1 guard who can stretch the floor on the bench. Remember how quickly Kia Nurse replaced Saniya. Go Huskies!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
IIRC Geno is not a fan of 1 player recruiting classes. Me either. But it happens sometimes. If Griffin can be a KJ or Faris, that would be great.

We'll need some players next year, just for numbers sake. But there are plenty of players out there to bring in. 2020 is a nice class to need numbers with.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The cupboard isn’t bare. But when you consider that over a two year period, UConn will have replaced Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, KLS and Pheesa Collier with Chrystn Williams ONO, and Griffin and will have a senior class of Dangerfield, Irwin and Bent and have a junior class with it seems only one big contributor, next season looks iffy on a national level even if injury free. Good talent with a big depth issue up front Maybe spring brings in other newbies, but next year is exceptionally big for recruiting.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
IIRC Geno is not a fan of 1 player recruiting classes. Me either. But it happens sometimes. If Griffin can be a KJ or Faris, that would be great.

We'll need some players next year, just for numbers sake. But there are plenty of players out there to bring in. 2020 is a nice class to need numbers with.

What’s really striking is that this program has gotten only three recruits in two years on the heels of having two classes with one major contributing player each. Sort of out of the blue.

Reaction Score
Once again where are the forwards ? Cannot believe that in the U.S., Canada, Europe,Asia there is not a couple of talented forwards who would like to go to college at UCONN.

Reaction Score
The sky has not fallen, and the sun will come up tomorrow. We know UCONN is already working to find those grad transfers for 2019 and working 2020/21/22 recruiting slates. Clearly Geno and staff are not happy with the result of this year, but it makes for more opportunities for those top rated recruits to come in next year and be an impact. I will still root for UCONN WBB and be here on the BY... I'm worried there might be fewer of the normal BYers around if they don't survive the leap off the ledge. (wink wink)

Reaction Score
If we don't get a quality JUCO or grad transfer this year, Griffin will have to start. Our bench can't even play in games in a bench role this year, what makes anyone thinks any of these players can start next year?

Reaction Score
The sky has not fallen, and the sun will come up tomorrow. We know UCONN is already working to find those grad transfers for 2019 and working 2020/21/22 recruiting slates. Clearly Geno and staff are not happy with the result of this year, but it makes for more opportunities for those top rated recruits to come in next year and be an impact. I will still root for UCONN WBB and be here on the BY... I'm worried there might be fewer of the normal BYers around if they don't survive the leap off the ledge. (wink wink)

Posts like this are so ridiculous. We are passionate fans. If you don't see the desperate situation we are in after this year, you're crazy.

Two players last year and one this year is a recipe for disaster.

Reaction Score
Posts like this are so ridiculous. We are passionate fans. If you don't see the desperate situation we are in after this year, you're crazy.

Obviously no UCONN fans are happy about how this worked out. We (fans) have no control over the process. If you want to profess doom and gloom, that's your choice. I choose to take a different approach. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Funny you should say that. The ledge was empty before the Jones announcement, now, it looks like downtown NYC at lunch time. :eek:

Reaction Score

Don't ya see? We can't be THE BEST forever and ever and ever.

Reaction Score
Do I start praying to God for many sweet 16s and elite 8s for the next 4 seasons? Or longer?

Reaction Score
2013 UConn only had #75 Saniya Chong signed. And, UConn still won the next 3 NCs with Stewart, Moriah and Tuck.

This is not end of the world ...

You really DO NOT get it. It's almost comedy.

Comparing this to Saniya signing is ignorance.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2013 UConn only had #75 Saniya Chong signed. And, UConn still won the next 3 NCs with Stewart, Moriah and Tuck.

This is not end of the world ...
True....but

Chong/Lawlor - Griffin
Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck inj/Pulido - Williams/ONO
KML/Banks/Stokes - Walker/Coombs/Gordon/Camara?
Hartley/Dolson - Dangerfield/Irwin/Bent

Not quite matching up. (not as bad as I was thinking though)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't ya see? We can't be THE BEST forever and ever and ever.
1543430212459.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You really DO NOT get it. It's almost comedy.

Comparing this to Saniya signing is ignorance.
One quick example of posts that degrade the boneyard for me. How about we offer friendly respect to one another here - or more of us do that.
This is what makes the BY interesting to me.

Reaction Score
Jones would not seem to be a surprise, with her emphasis on academics (psychology) and being from California, Stanford (#1 ranked Psychology program in the country) makes total sense. The real head-scratcher is Boston.

Reaction Score
True....but

Chong/Lawlor - Griffin
Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck inj/Pulido - Williams/ONO
KML/Banks/Stokes - Walker/Coombs/Gordon/Camara?
Hartley/Dolson - Dangerfield/Irwin/Bent

Not quite matching up. (not as bad as I was thinking though)
Where are KLS and Phessa in your list? You forget those two will play this year too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom