OT: - UConn doesn't guarantee on campus housing for freshmen? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn doesn't guarantee on campus housing for freshmen?

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty unacceptable to admit freshmen if you don't have available housing for them (especially if you're housing soph/juniors/seniors on campus). That should be a 100% guarantee. There are enough people working at UConn that are making $200K+ a year that they should be able to figure out this very difficult math problem. I'm still a few years away from having kids in college, but I'd be pissed if this happened to my kid.
It's almost an impossible math problem to solve. Colleges rely on metrics that historically show the accepted:enrolled ratio. Anticipating a much higher enrollment than usual is a total guess and not realistic to calculate. The other side of the coin is accepting too few students and then your enrollment drops and so does your revenue which = higher costs for current students to offset it. It sucks for the new students, but colleges would MUCH rather be on the side of having too many enrollees than too few.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's almost an impossible math problem to solve. Colleges rely on metrics that historically show the accepted:enrolled ratio. Anticipating a much higher enrollment than usual is a total guess and not realistic to calculate. The other side of the coin is accepting too few students and then your enrollment drops and so does your revenue which = higher costs for current students to offset it. It sucks for the new students, but colleges would MUCH rather be on the side of having too many enrollees than too few.

That depends. A few too few, and they can tap the wait list. Too many and they can't say sorry, we changed our mind.

Incoming freshman should ALWAYS be offered on campus housing. If anyone needs to be bumped it should be grad students first, then seniors, ...

Reaction Score
That depends. A few too few, and they can tap the wait list. Too many and they can't say sorry, we changed our mind.

Incoming freshman should ALWAYS be offered on campus housing. If anyone needs to be bumped it should be grad students first, then seniors, ...
And if you do have push some off campus, then help them out. Don't just say, so sorry, good luck. Freshmen (and parents) are stressed enough and deserve some support. Work with some of the landlords and provide some options, make intros to people that need roommates.

I also think UConn is behind the times with the admissions process and that hurts their yield determination. They are the only peer school that I know of that didn't have either an early action or early decision process (or both). You can get a good read on how your yield might go based on how many EA kids are accepting their offers.

Separate topic from the dorms, but even without EA/ED, UConn was the last school we got a decision from. I think that costs them some good candidates. We know some kids that decided to go to Maryland, Penn State, Pitt, Indiana that had been interested in UConn, but they moved on after hearing from all those schools months before.

Reaction Score
And if you do have push some off campus, then help them out. Don't just say, so sorry, good luck. Freshmen (and parents) are stressed enough and deserve some support. Work with some of the landlords and provide some options, make intros to people that need roommates.

I also think UConn is behind the times with the admissions process and that hurts their yield determination. They are the only peer school that I know of that didn't have either an early action or early decision process (or both). You can get a good read on how your yield might go based on how many EA kids are accepting their offers.

Separate topic from the dorms, but even without EA/ED, UConn was the last school we got a decision from. I think that costs them some good candidates. We know some kids that decided to go to Maryland, Penn State, Pitt, Indiana that had been interested in UConn, but they moved on after hearing from all those schools months before.
I remember I heard from Indiana first, at least 3-4 months prior to UConn's letter showing up in my mailbox. It is a bit ridiculous that we don't have EA or ED. What is the rationale behind a large public university not offering EA/ED? Seems like a no brainer for me, especially to help with the yield calculation so incoming freshman don't get screwed like this

Reaction Score
UConn desperately needs to keep expanding the housing in Storrs.

UConn (South Campus) and the community as a whole are making progress on a few fronts:

Assisted access <<

-> In possibly the biggest expansion ever of privately owned apartments and dorm rooms in Mansfield, developers are constructing more than 430 and have recent approvals to put up another 800 or so.

The single biggest element, The Hub, is a two-building complex planned for the edge of the University of Connecticut campus at the plaza where Sgt. Pepperoni’s and other small commercial businesses operated.

The eight-story buildings will have a total of more than 1,100 bedrooms designed as a privately run dormitory. <-

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep, and maybe give them a temporary partial tuition credit to offset the difference in cost between on-campus and off-campus housing.

Reaction Score
Everyone claims the Mansfield folk would never allow an on-campus stadium because it would affect their lives 6 or 7 days of the year. Maybe a few more days depending on other events. Yet there is all this massive development which affects everyday life. Maybe we underestimate the younger generation up in them parts.

Reaction Score
Yep, and maybe give them a temporary partial tuition credit to offset the difference in cost between on-campus and off-campus housing.
Purdue just had the same issue this year. The yield on acceptance rate was 8% higher than anticipated so they didn't have enough on campus housing. In addition to putting 3 kids in rooms meant for two....
They just offered $4000 credit if students chose to move off campus to help alleviate the shortage.

Reaction Score
Quick update. So I found out that my friend’s daughter missed the deadline to submit her housing survey. She got mixed up and thought it was due June 29 (when something else was due) but it was due June 22. So it’s all on her that she’s in this predicament. You figure there would be some leeway with UConn but they’re in a bind with housing so they need to make some hard and fast rules.

Sorry for the OP here. But it did bring out the question if she missed the deadline as someone posted and that was indeed the case.

Reaction Score
Quick update. So I found out that my friend’s daughter missed the deadline to submit her housing survey. She got mixed up and thought it was due June 29 (when something else was due) but it was due June 22. So it’s all on her that she’s in this predicament. You figure there would be some leeway with UConn but they’re in a bind with housing so they need to make some hard and fast rules.

Sorry for the OP here. But it did bring out the question if she missed the deadline as someone posted and that was indeed the case.
Still feel bad for the kid. She must feel horrible.

We're keeping on top of deadlines for our kids, but we probably shouldn't be. We have one that will be fine on their own and another that would be the kid that shows up with a couple days worth of clothes and nothing else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom