UConn dismantles Texas A&M: More than just the numbers in a box score | The Boneyard

UConn dismantles Texas A&M: More than just the numbers in a box score

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The difference though, according to A&M coach Blair was the Huskies fifth leading scorer in this game, center Stefanie Dolson, and it was not what necessarily appeared in the box score. The 11 points and nine rebounds were important, but it was much more.

“I really think the difference in this game was Dolson,” Blair said post-game, “she is so improved, she is so long.”

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/201...am-more-than-just-the-numbers-in-a-box-score/

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
taht's great to read about Stef. she hasn't really lit it up with scoring, but watching her play, she does a lot more, much like Faris, that does not show up in box scores. i can't tell you how many times i've heard Meghan or Kara say that Stef should have gotten an assist for the great screen, or something else she did.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
taht's great to read about Stef. she hasn't really lit it up with scoring, but watching her play, she does a lot more, much like Faris, that does not show up in box scores. i can't tell you how many times i've heard Meghan or Kara say that Stef should have gotten an assist for the great screen, or something else she did.
Dolson > Bone

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Several times during the game I remarked that a score by a UConn guard was the direct result of great positioning by Dolson.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Dolson > Bone
totally agree with you on that one. i'd never seen bone play before. i figured being a year older with 2 years net experience would have made them about even. not so much... i do think Bone will be good, but i'm much happier we have Stef, if i had to choose between the two!!

Reaction Score
"Jim Valvano's infamous speech from the ESPY's ... ??????"

Somebody needs a dictionary this Christmas.

Reaction Score
"Jim Valvano's infamous speech from the ESPY's ... ??????"

Somebody needs a dictionary this Christmas.

Nah, somebody just needs to stop writing at 1:00 am, and leave it for the next day! :confused:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Several times during the game I remarked that a score by a UConn guard was the direct result of great positioning by Dolson.
That happens all the time.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
totally agree with you on that one. i'd never seen bone play before. i figured being a year older with 2 years net experience would have made them about even. not so much... i do think Bone will be good, but i'm much happier we have Stef, if i had to choose between the two!!
thats not fair...no one expected Dolson to progress as she has and who's to say what would have become of Bone if she was in a UConn jersey.

in highsight... but coming out of HS choosing between the 2 I sure you would have preferred Bone. (just based on how closely you follow the ranking services)

2 yrs net experience? (insert Heather) just because you been on any time longer doesnt mean you're going to get better. Of course we wish they all would but it does work like that. (MJ, Lauren E.)

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
thats not fair...no one expected Dolson to progress as she has and who's to say what would have become of Bone if she was in a UConn jersey.

in highsight... but coming out of HS choosing between the 2 I sure you would have preferred Bone. (just based on how closely you follow the ranking services)

2 yrs net experience? (insert Heather) just because you been on any time longer doesnt mean you're going to get better. Of course we wish they all would but it does work like that. (MJ, Lauren E.)

The Boneyard was very high on KB...she was discussed(comparatively as a recruit) much more than SD. That is how I recall the two.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Boneyard was very high on KB...she was discussed(comparatively as a recruit) much more than SD. That is how I recall the two.
That is accurate. But I had seen Stef in high school and was very happy to have her but really wanted both.

Reaction Score
Stef also did a fine job leading the assembly with the Pledge of Allegiance ...

Reaction Score
At the time I would have chosen Bone in a heartbeat over Steph. Fortunately that didn’t happen. She’s such a hardworking and joyous individual… that’s priceless for a team.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Bone has focus issues and has some growing up to do. Her raw athletic attributes were greater than Stef's coming out of high school, but she hasn't shown a ton of maturity or leadership or, from what I can tell, a desire to be great. The light could come on for her, possibly even sooner than later, but yes, Stef has been a godsend for UConn to this point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

i didn't say "two years ago i would have preferred Stef". i said i'm much happier we have Stef. if it wasn't clear, i meant that even as a year younger, i think Stef is better (right now - as a 2nd year player vs. Bone as a 3rd year player) and i'm glad we got her.

but yeah, 2 years ago #2/3 ranked Bone vs. Stef who was ranked anywhere from 12 to 40, i'd have preferred Bone based on the high school ratings... but as Alex pointed out, Bone may have the edge in raw athleticism, but she seemed to lack focus and maturity, and her fitness was no better than Stef's, in spite of being in college for 1 more year. She certainly (Bone) had some very nice moments in the game, but the lack of consistent effort and intensity hurt her team.

no slight against Bone - i think she will be a good one for Blair. it will be interesting to see how she and Gilbert do when they go up against Griner...

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
You are right, Bone was long gone by the time Stef committed. Two years earlier in commitment time.

I sort of remember that Stef was the last tall, big center "left" after others had committed elsewhere.

Goes to show that intensity and drive go a long way to making success! Also, a sense of humor and positive outlook! Plus dance moves!!!:)

Reaction Score
The difference though, according to A&M coach Blair was the Huskies fifth leading scorer in this game, center Stefanie Dolson, and it was not what necessarily appeared in the box score. The 11 points and nine rebounds were important, but it was much more. “I really think the difference in this game was Dolson,” Blair said post-game, “she is so improved, she is so long."
I'm sure he meant this as a compliment for Dolson. However, I suspect it was also meant as a motivator for his center, Bone.

Reaction Score
thats not fair...no one expected Dolson to progress as she has Totally UNFAIR statement! Geno, CD, and Marissa certainly expected her progress. and who's to say what would have become of Bone if she was in a UConn jersey. Obviously she was not to improve even at UCONN. Geno talked to both Bone and her mother and could see what their collective attitude would lead to. Nothing good.

in highsight... but coming out of HS choosing between the 2 I sure you would have preferred Bone. (just based on how closely you follow the ranking services) I preferred Bone until I heard about her and her mothers attitude. When Geno focus on Dolson, I was sold on Dolson. In Geno I trust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom