UConn Discussion With Matt Brown | The Boneyard

UConn Discussion With Matt Brown

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I had a chance to connect with Matt Brown (founder of Extra Points) to discuss his background and how he got into working in college sports. We also touched on his recent newsletters regarding UMass and UConn, diving into UConn’s program trajectory/aspirations and what kind of candidates would make sense for UConn to target in the upcoming coaching search:

Reaction Score
unfortunate I don't use Apple.. I trust his opinion was a decent one... Oh well.. Looking fwd to Dec 1st... and the week before that... It'll plenty of talk around that time frame going on...

Reaction Score
Thanks for the Alt link, for those who don't use apple. Also liked the part you guys discussed regarding Uconn and the AD being more lenient regarding admissions, JUCO options, transfer portal options etc. That Matt talked to DB about in terms of the program being able to cast a larger net for recruiting. The academic road block for FB has always been talked about. Glad that won't be an issue going forward, especially since it seems to be in line with:

UConn to Pilot Test-Optional Admissions Process

Reaction Score
Thanks for the Alt link, for those who don't use apple. Also liked the part you guys discussed regarding Uconn and the AD being more lenient regarding admissions, JUCO options, transfer portal options etc. That Matt talked to DB about in terms of the program being able to cast a larger net for recruiting. The academic road block for FB has always been talked about. Glad that won't be an issue going forward, especially since it seems to be in line with:

UConn to Pilot Test-Optional Admissions Process

This part is huge news for the program.. huge... I think with this new bound freedom, we can finally bring in higher tier kids from that level that would give us the immediate support we need. No disrespect to the younger kids we recruit out of HS, but they need time to develop a bit...

Reaction Score
I just clicked the start button in the bar of the spotify image he posted. And Shazzam !
my computer doesn't have the spotify image unfortunately....
Apparently you guys continue to see but I don't

Drew

Reaction Score
my computer doesn't have the spotify image unfortunately....
Apparently you guys continue to see but I don't
Hit my PM

Reaction Score
@Drew I don’t get any audio on Apple but it works on Spotify for the Matt Brown episode.

Good work. I think you could have gotten a full hour of Gilmartin. I was really hoping to hear what had to say about that Navy game.

Hopefully the next coach is charismatic like Bob but a bit more grounded.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
We did a campus tour last Wednesday and this was noted to us during the sit down portion of the visit. The average SAT score at UConn is about 1260, or so they said. My son has a great resume and really liked his visit to UConn (it's his #1 choice at the moment), but I think his SAT score of 1160 might be a negative on his application relative to what they said the average was. We've decided to apply to UConn without the SAT score included.
Not to derail, but would gladly take any advice from those that have been through it already. Feel free to PM.

Reaction Score
As a football fan, I think that is great. As a parent, I worry. We don’t need to bring in problem children at the expense of the other students on campus … like Baylor.

Reaction Score
We did a campus tour last Wednesday and this was noted to us during the sit down portion of the visit. The average SAT score at UConn is about 1260, or so they said. My son has a great resume and really liked his visit to UConn (it's his #1 choice at the moment), but I think his SAT score of 1160 might be a negative on his application relative to what they said the average was. We've decided to apply to UConn without the SAT score included.
Not to derail, but would gladly take any advice from those that have been through it already. Feel free to PM.

If they don’t admit him to the Storrs campus, they’ll likely admit him to a regional campus. It’s an option that he should seriously consider if that should be the case (you go to the Storrs campus after two years) and it would likely be great for your wallet as well!

Reaction Score
After reading the comments from the Admissions Director, my take is they're worried about maintaining enrollment and revenue and have identified a way to lower admissions standards in a somewhat stealth way.

The U.S. birth rate was nearly 25 per thousand in 1950 and declined precipitously over the next 30 years to about 15 per thousand in 1980. Since then it's slowly and steadily declined to about 12 per thousand today. Lots of small colleges are merging or disappearing and with no expected increase in the birth rate UConn believes it has to get creative in attracting more enrollees without appearing to reduce its standards.

SAT/ACT scores are standardized, while GPA, leadership qualities, extracurricular activities and the like are not easily quantifiable, so they can still potentially do well with US News and other ratings even while lowering standards to keep enrollment and revenues up.

Reaction Score

My son went through a similar situation last year. Great GPA and resume. He ended up having no problem getting in, and got a STEM merit scholarship as well.

I wouldn't worry too much, but just as a precaution, i would put in a few other applications just in case...we certainly did. Good Luck.

Reaction Score
Don't let that stop him. And have him take it again if he wants.

Reaction Score
As a football fan, I think that is great. As a parent, I worry. We don’t need to bring in problem children at the expense of the other students on campus … like Baylor.

Just because a kid doesn’t test well on standardized tests or may not carry a high GPA doesn’t make him a bad person or a “problem child” as you put it. There are plenty of so called problem children already on campus who carried good grades in high school, but you don’t seem to be concerned about them.

Reaction Score
I had a chance to connect with Matt Brown (founder of Extra Points) to discuss his background and how he got into working in college sports. We also touched on his recent newsletters regarding UMass and UConn, diving into UConn’s program trajectory/aspirations and what kind of candidates would make sense for UConn to target in the upcoming coaching search:

Another good one.

I said this elsewhere. It’s really hard to be this bad. Edsall ignored nearly every Avenue to making the team stronger, PGs, the portal, JUCOs….

It’s interesting Matt said that he wouldn’t go the recruiter route. But I would say hiring a good seller of the program is the same thing.

The reason why it’s so hard to find a HC for UConn is that we need a good seller, someone who has done well with massive headwinds, and someone who is tactically competent. Usually you can only pick two of the three.

I bet would get some more subscribers if he came on here and did an AMA.

Reaction Score
Just because a kid doesn’t test well on standardized tests or may not carry a high GPA doesn’t make him a bad person or a “problem child” as you put it. There are plenty of so called problem children already on campus who carried good grades in high school, but you don’t seem to be concerned about them.
A lot like real life (you know after school is all finished up).. Potential serial killers with a credit score of nearly 800 is looked at with more respect than somebody with anything less...

Reaction Score
After reading the comments from the Admissions Director, my take is they're worried about maintaining enrollment and revenue and have identified a way to lower admissions standards in a somewhat stealth way.

The U.S. birth rate was nearly 25 per thousand in 1950 and declined precipitously over the next 30 years to about 15 per thousand in 1980. Since then it's slowly and steadily declined to about 12 per thousand today. Lots of small colleges are merging or disappearing and with no expected increase in the birth rate UConn believes it has to get creative in attracting more enrollees without appearing to reduce its standards.

SAT/ACT scores are standardized, while GPA, leadership qualities, extracurricular activities and the like are not easily quantifiable, so they can still potentially do well with US News and other ratings even while lowering standards to keep enrollment and revenues up.

Nearly every school in the country has been test optional for the past few years due to COVID, and those of us who have worked in test prep knew it wasn't going to come back every where. The SAT and ACT are standardized, sure. But they aren't actually great predictors of college success (especially the ACT, which is honestly a pretty bad test).

Reaction Score
Really good podcast. Enjoy the interview style, and the first 6 guests have been interesting

Drew

Reaction Score
Really good podcast. Enjoy the interview style, and the first 6 guests have been interesting
Glad to hear it- Thanks for the feedback! Have some awesome guests coming up the next few weeks- hope you enjoy

Reaction Score
Glad to hear it- Thanks for the feedback! Have some awesome guests coming up the next few weeks- hope you enjoy
Matt Brown is awesome. Great get as he sets the zeitgeist in many ways for college football coverage

Reaction Score
I’m sorry to offend. I’m talking about the admission of athletes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom