UConn Depth Chart for Michigan | The Boneyard

UConn Depth Chart for Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This might be a foolish question, but is there any reason Gifford hasn't gone in at Right Tackle for Friend? I mean it is clear to anyone who has watched the past 2 games that Hemingway is not getting it done. Moving a tackle seems from the left side to the right side seems at least like a plausible experiment. Bullock came in for Cruz at guard for a few series last week. Maybe even move the right guard out there and use him on that side. And I recall under Edsall on a few occasions we had injuries and interior linemen moved all over the lot. Or is our oline such a finely tuned machine that guys can only play 1 position? Hemingway looks to me to be neither big enough to play tackle at this level nor well enough schooled in the intricacies of the position to be effective.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Knappe get some snaps. We need someone, anyone to collapse the pocket and bring some qb pressure. Thought he showed some things in,the spring game. I've seen nothing from Frank the first two games.

Reaction Score
This might be a foolish question, but is there any reason Gifford hasn't gone in at Right Tackle for Friend? I mean it is clear to anyone who has watched the past 2 games that Hemingway is not getting it done. Moving a tackle seems from the left side to the right side seems at least like a plausible experiment. Bullock came in for Cruz at guard for a few series last week. Maybe even move the right guard out there and use him on that side. And I recall under Edsall on a few occasions we had injuries and interior linemen moved all over the lot. Or is our oline such a finely tuned machine that guys can only play 1 position? Hemingway looks to me to be neither big enough to play tackle at this level nor well enough schooled in the intricacies of the position to be effective.

Yes, it is a foolish question, and I'll give a pass, as you can probably learn something about the sport of football here. Moving a tackle from right to left? A good comparison to get an idea of what you are talking about is to think about trying taking a golf swing right handed, and then left handed. Try taking a jump shot from your feet up through the release right handed, and then left handed. Switch hitting in baseball - right to left - Try pitching a baseball with your right hand, and then your left.

It's certainly possible to switch and do well, on short notice, but without getting decent practice time, it's a possibility, but low probability. If our backup tackles have been practicing both sides, then it's a different story, but I do not know that to be the case, and wouldn't expect it to be the case.

Bullock came in and played for Cruz against Maryland - shifiting interior lineman is not something unusual for this program right now.

Heminway, I think, played a better game against Maryland than he did against Towson, but that's not saying much, he had nowhere to go but up and he's still got plenty of room to climb to get to the level of not considered being a liability. The worst thing, is that it seem pretty clear that our starting QB, is feeling phantom pressure when he's on the field, and that's not good.

Reaction Score

desmondconner 11:41am via Twitter for iPhone
Xavier Hemingway and Dalton Gifford will help out at RT #UMvsUConn

UConnFB_Andrew 11:46am via web
PP says C Tyler Bullock graded out very well in 13 plays at guard last week against Maryland. IMO, team needs him vs Michigan

Reaction Score
Heminway, I think, played a better game against Maryland than he did against Towson, but that's not saying much, he had nowhere to go but up and he's still got plenty of room to climb to get to the level of not considered being a liability. The worst thing, is that it seem pretty clear that our starting QB, is feeling phantom pressure when he's on the field, and that's not good.
Carl,
while I buy most of your explanation, at least in theory, the last part causes me to question all of it! Hemingway is simply not ready to play tackle at this level. Just as a start he is too small. If he is indeed only 275, he's a 1AA size Offensive tackle. Actually not even. Towson's guys were 285, 295. He is also just not getting it. I don't know who is #3 on the depth chart, but if Gifford can't be moved, we really need to be looking at a guy who can play the right side other than Hemingway.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is a foolish question, and I'll give a pass, as you can probably learn something about the sport of football here. Moving a tackle from right to left? A good comparison to get an idea of what you are talking about is to think about trying taking a golf swing right handed, and then left handed. Try taking a jump shot from your feet up through the release right handed, and then left handed. Switch hitting in baseball - right to left - Try pitching a baseball with your right hand, and then your left.

It's certainly possible to switch and do well, on short notice, but without getting decent practice time, it's a possibility, but low probability. If our backup tackles have been practicing both sides, then it's a different story, but I do not know that to be the case, and wouldn't expect it to be the case.

Bullock came in and played for Cruz against Maryland - shifiting interior lineman is not something unusual for this program right now.

With the difficulties UConn has had at right tackle you would expect they would be using numerous people in practice to see who could be used at that position.

It is also not unusual to see players that are listed as being able to play multiple positions. A right guard who is the back up right tackle. If the right tackle gets hurt the right guard moves over and the backup right guard comes in at the guard position.

As a backup player the key to getting playing time is often being flexible and able to play multiple positions. That way you aren't limited to getting in if one and only one player goes down.

Reaction Score
This may be a foolish question, but did Dez tweet Gifford to RT before Carl said it was impossible? I am not sure who to believe pgdl/Dez or Carl.

Question for Carl, how many rooms can you wallpaper with offensive plays? Only kidding.....

Reaction Score

According to some of the toughest QB's I've known of, "phantom pressure" develops when it's preceded by lots of very painful "real pressure." Namath once said, I think when he was on MNF, that every time he hears someone calling a QB gun shy, it's coming from the mouth of someone who's never been shot at.

Not a shot at you, Carl. You seem to know FB. But you have to admit, CW has taken four years of beating in his 14-games. I would be calling for my Mommy.

Reaction Score
Carl,
while I buy most of your explanation, at least in theory, the last part causes me to question all of it! Hemingway is simply not ready to play tackle at this level. Just as a start he is too small. If he is indeed only 275, he's a 1AA size Offensive tackle. Actually not even. Towson's guys were 285, 295. He is also just not getting it. I don't know who is #3 on the depth chart, but if Gifford can't be moved, we really need to be looking at a guy who can play the right side other than Hemingway.

He has been physically overrun back to back weeks. Just look at him and you can see he's too small to be on our OL.

Reaction Score
Look, don't ask me about the decisions regarding starters and depth charts. If I was in charge of this team, I'd have yanked half the starters on offense already. I don't get how these guys are still starting. The guys on offense are simply not getting the jobs done, and they've had ample time to do it, and I don't believe that we've got assignment problems anymore on offense, we just simply suck and make bad decisions. Dumb players make dumb mistakes, so says BIll Parcells. I'd rather go with freshmen mistakes, than with the same things we've been seeing over and over for a long time now on offense.

Reaction Score
According to some of the toughest QB's I've known of, "phantom pressure" develops when it's preceded by lots of very painful "real pressure." Namath once said, I think when he was on MNF, that every time he hears someone calling a QB gun shy, it's coming from the mouth of someone who's never been shot at.

Not a shot at you, Carl. You seem to know FB. But you have to admit, CW has taken four years of beating in his 14-games. I would be calling for my Mommy.

I'm not knocking the kid for showing those signs. Not at all, and there absolutely is reason for him to have it. All I wrote is that the worst thing about our offense right now, is that our QB is showing those signs, and when your QB shows those signs it is not good.

If we're to believe that seeing over the line really is an issue, then there is only one other option we've got right now at QB, and it's not Cochran.

Reaction Score
This may be a foolish question, but did Dez tweet Gifford to RT before Carl said it was impossible? I am not sure who to believe pgdl/Dez or Carl.

Question for Carl, how many rooms can you wallpaper with offensive plays? Only kidding.....

Why the hell would you believe an anonymous internet poster over a press credentialed beat writer? Oh wait......never mind.

Reaction Score
With the difficulties UConn has had at right tackle you would expect they would be using numerous people in practice to see who could be used at that position.

It is also not unusual to see players that are listed as being able to play multiple positions. A right guard who is the back up right tackle. If the right tackle gets hurt the right guard moves over and the backup right guard comes in at the guard position.

As a backup player the key to getting playing time is often being flexible and able to play multiple positions. That way you aren't limited to getting in if one and only one player goes down.

That's how it works in the NFL when you've got to play a full football game with a 46 man roster. College football usually is different.

Reaction Score
Look, don't ask me about the decisions regarding starters and depth charts. If I was in charge of this team, I'd have yanked half the starters on offense already. I don't get how these guys are still starting. The guys on offense are simply not getting the jobs done, and they've had ample time to do it, and I don't believe that we've got assignment problems anymore on offense, we just simply suck and make bad decisions. Dumb players make dumb mistakes, so says BIll Parcells. I'd rather go with freshmen mistakes, than with the same things we've been seeing over and over for a long time now on offense.

You are making an uninformed guess at the ability of our offensive players. You can't possibly know or judge the schematics they are being taught by, for many, their 3rd OC in 4 years. We all know what GDL has meant to the destruction of, what has been traditionally, a good and sometimes very good OL in the past.

Throw in no experience at TE's (you can't tell me Griffin or Delahunt would not be helping Hemingway if they were still here). Not to mention blocking for Lyle.

There are too many variables, and most are the unknowns, to pass judgement on our offensive players.

Reaction Score
I'm not knocking the kid for showing those signs. Not at all, and there absolutely is reason for him to have it. All I wrote is that the worst thing about our offense right now, is that our QB is showing those signs, and when your QB shows those signs it is not good.

If we're to believe that seeing over the line really is an issue, then there is only one other option we've got right now at QB, and it's not Cochran.

True!

Reaction Score
You are making an uninformed guess at the ability of our offensive players. You can't possibly know or judge the schematics they are being taught by, for many, their 3rd OC in 4 years. We all know what GDL has meant to the destruction of, what has been traditionally, a good and sometimes very good OL in the past.

Throw in no experience at TE's (you can't tell me Griffin or Delahunt would not be helping Hemingway if they were still here). Not to mention blocking for Lyle.

There are too many variables, and most are the unknowns, to pass judgement on our offensive players.

Maybe so sportsart, maybe so. I don't know what they've been taught, or not. But I do know that our RB needed an offensive lineman to pull out of from the line and get behind him and help him get through the space in the line of scrimmage to score a TD from the 1 yard line when he got contact at the goal line, and it wasn't the kind of 'help' that pulling offensive linemen are supposed to give to score TD's at the goal line. I do know that we had a QB that had a pass rush in his face, and decided to let the ball fly into coverage for a pick 6, and not for the first time. I do know that the same QB threw another ball, way down field, that pretty much anyone watching from where I sit, and anyone who was watching from above in the tower, knew it was going to be picked off before he threw it.

Reaction Score
I think they should move Hemmingway to TE and let him fill the roll of blocking TE. Seems overmatched at T, could give the running game a spark. I know it sounds crazy, but he seems lost at T.

Reaction Score

Seriously? You think playing right tackle vs. left tackle is analogous to doing something with your opposite hand? Methinks you are grossly overthinking this game.

Reaction Score

You realize, right, that when you "yank" starters you have to put someone else in, and if you're fairly certain from practice that the guys you put in will be worse than the guys you want to yank you would just be hurting the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom