UConn Daughters or other WCBB Daughters playing D1 Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Daughters or other WCBB Daughters playing D1 Basketball

Reaction Score
Umm, I don't think so. We know her husband is significantly shorter than Rebecca and the photo was taken on steps so the daughter is shorter than the father, who both are on the same step. But as you note, it was taken 3 years ago so I am sure she has grown since then.

I know Kara Wolters has also said her daughters play hoop but just like Rebecca's I am not sure how good or what level they are at-nor do I want to start a debate on any them given the pressure that already exists.

;)
Kara’s older daughter has played at halftime several times. Admittedly, I never watched.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Kara’s older daughter has played at halftime several times. Admittedly, I never watched.
Her older daughter just turned 13 so she's probably going into 8th grade. The second daughter will turn 12 later this year. Rebecca's oldest daughter I think is 15 or soon to be and is going to be sophomore in HS?

I know Jen Rizzotti has two boys but other than these 3 I do not know what other prominent players have children or if they play basketball at an elite level (elite being D1 scholarship level).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She's in the "W" now, but former Rutgers player Benijah Laney was the daughter of Yolanda Laney who was on Vivian's Cheney State teams, was an all-American I believe, and played in 2 final fours.

So not only mother - daughter, but also both coached by CVS.

You might also remember that Kim Mulkey's daughter played for her.
Kim's daughter, was at best, lower D1 material. She did have a unique distinction to win an NCAAT in both basketball and with the Baylor Softball team, where, like BB, she was a sub used primarily as a pinch runner on that team. Kim's son played Baseball at LSU and is in the St. Louis Cardinal system. Pretty impressive genes in that family.

Kind of odd that we are struggling to find more name of lineage for WCBB...I was hoping I was the one who didn't know names but there just might not be that many...

Reaction Score
Fascinating. Never saw that article. Caught the reference to her God-mother, who was Debra Walker, IIRC. I never met any of the Cheney players except possibly at Viv's WBB Hall of Fame induction, when there were so many folks at the "party" - she has a large family, and it was a bit overwhelming, we were sitting at a table with her friend, the then Temple coach John Cheney. At Rutgers home games (and a few NCAA away games) I would chat with Viv's Assistant Coach from Cheney, but the conversation was usually about the current game. She was kind enough to give us her "souvenir ticket" (encased in plexiglass) from Vivian's National BB Hall of Fame induction, which was out of our price range to attend. Somehow out of the whole episode, we got invited by someone at the Hall to visit Springfield and tour for free the following year, which we did. There are some really nice people out there.

We do have a mutual friend with Vivian, we became friendly at away games, mostly NCAA. Her connection is college and personal, and not basketball per se, and she has always, and appropriately, separated her relationship with Vivian from her relationship with other people. But around the time in the story she did comment, in passing, that Vivian's and Yolanda's relationship had a rocky history and told at least one story, I think, but never suggested one way or the other how that might affect the recruitment of Benijah.
In addition to being Lacey’s godmother, Debra Walker is also the godmother of Mississippi State’s Rickea Jackson:

“Her godmother is Debra Walker, a ‘70s all-stater at Detroit Mumford who played for Vivian Stringer at Cheyney State.

Caryn Jackson is her mother and was an all-state player at Detroit Murray-Wright in 1991 and played at Kansas in college.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom