UConn Daughters or other WCBB Daughters playing D1 Basketball | The Boneyard

UConn Daughters or other WCBB Daughters playing D1 Basketball

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While perusing the most recent thread on "she who shall not be named and if there is an update on her" our fine moderator @Biff posted a funny comment about Geno signing Rebecca Lobo's daughter at the birth in 2005 as our first commit for 2023. It did get me thinking about any prominent WCBB players and if they have had any daughters go onto nice college careers anywhere but I have not been able to think of any. So I throw 2 questions out to my fellow BYers:
1. Is anyone aware of any WCBB players who have had daughters become big time recruits?
2. Given that Geno/CD have coached at UConn for 35+ years, have they recruited any former players daughters?

Stay safe and keep a positive attitude my brethren during this difficult time! :)

Reaction Score
This photo was shot 2017. You can see Lobo's first daughter was taller than Lobo already.

1595339351332.png

Reaction Score
Kara Walters first daughter, Sydney Elizabeth, was born on March 8, 2007 and her second daughter, Delaney Katherine, was born on March 12, 2008. Both can be UConn furter players.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Umm, I don't think so. We know her husband is significantly shorter than Rebecca and the photo was taken on steps so the daughter is shorter than the father, who both are on the same step. But as you note, it was taken 3 years ago so I am sure she has grown since then.

I know Kara Wolters has also said her daughters play hoop but just like Rebecca's I am not sure how good or what level they are at-nor do I want to start a debate on any them given the pressure that already exists.

;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Olivia Cochran's( #18 Class of 2020 per ESPN and headed to Louisville) mother, Tara Williams, was a second-team All-SEC guard as a senior at Auburn in 1997 and played two seasons in the WNBA (1997 for Phoenix and 2000 for Portland).

Saylor Poffenbarger's mother played basketball at the University of Missouri from 1990-94 and one season with the ABL KC Mustangs

Reaction Score
Umm, I don't think so. We know her husband is significantly shorter than Rebecca and the photo was taken on steps so the daughter is shorter than the father, who both are on the same step. But as you note, it was taken 3 years ago so I am sure she has grown since then.
;)
Lobo is 6'4", Steve Rushin is 6'3". Yes I think the photo was taken on steps.

1595344829641.png

Reaction Score

I know Kara Wolters has also said her daughters play hoop but just like Rebecca's I am not sure how good or what level they are at-nor do I want to start a debate on any them given the pressure that already exists.

;)
Lobo's husband is actually an inch taller than her at 6-5.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi's mom defended by Shea.

Shea Ralph
Katie Smyrka-Duffy Fudd is in the Virginia Hall of Fame. She was a high school star in NoVa; played at NC State, where she was the ACC FOY; and played at Georgetown, where she was All-Big East 2nd team 2x, I believe. She was drafted into the pros, but knee surgeries cut her playing career short.

Katie and Azzi are a bit like Ken Griffey, Sr. and Jr. Senior was an excellent player. Junior was one of the all-time greats.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Comparable shoes? Is that Steve in heels or Rebecca in wing tips?
Either. :)

When I looked up Steve, I saw him listed at 6'5" and Rebecca at 6'4".

The big question, though, is how tall is Siobhan?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
She's in the "W" now, but former Rutgers player Benijah Laney was the daughter of Yolanda Laney who was on Vivian's Cheney State teams, was an all-American I believe, and played in 2 final fours.

So not only mother - daughter, but also both coached by CVS.

You might also remember that Kim Mulkey's daughter played for her.

Reaction Score
Pam McGee mother Imani McGee daughter and Javell McGee all played bb professionally javell I believe still is in the nba

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She's in the "W" now, but former Rutgers player Benijah Laney was the daughter of Yolanda Laney who was on Vivian's Cheney State teams, was an all-American I believe, and played in 2 final fours.
So not only mother - daughter, but also both coached by CVS.
You might also remember that Kim Mulkey's daughter played for her.
I just happen to be in the gym when the trash talking referenced in the article was going on.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I just happen to be in the gym when the trash talking referenced in the article was going on.
Fascinating. Never saw that article. Caught the reference to her God-mother, who was Debra Walker, IIRC. I never met any of the Cheney players except possibly at Viv's WBB Hall of Fame induction, when there were so many folks at the "party" - she has a large family, and it was a bit overwhelming, we were sitting at a table with her friend, the then Temple coach John Cheney. At Rutgers home games (and a few NCAA away games) I would chat with Viv's Assistant Coach from Cheney, but the conversation was usually about the current game. She was kind enough to give us her "souvenir ticket" (encased in plexiglass) from Vivian's National BB Hall of Fame induction, which was out of our price range to attend. Somehow out of the whole episode, we got invited by someone at the Hall to visit Springfield and tour for free the following year, which we did. There are some really nice people out there.

We do have a mutual friend with Vivian, we became friendly at away games, mostly NCAA. Her connection is college and personal, and not basketball per se, and she has always, and appropriately, separated her relationship with Vivian from her relationship with other people. But around the time in the story she did comment, in passing, that Vivian's and Yolanda's relationship had a rocky history and told at least one story, I think, but never suggested one way or the other how that might affect the recruitment of Benijah.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom