UConn D compared, '15-'16 vs '16-'17 | The Boneyard

UConn D compared, '15-'16 vs '16-'17

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I know that this subject was discussed recently, please forgive...I'm late to the party...again.

In re-watching a few of last season's games (even the season prior)
It appears that the fine art of keeping your man (sic) or your switch assignment directly in front of you was
not quite the priority it is this season
or it had slacked off a bit.
For very good reason...namely the presence of Kiah Stokes and /or Breanna Stewart.
You funneled the victims inside and whammo...

This season the aforementioned fine art is being polished to a fine hue.
At its best, switching is smooth as silk and defenders are glued to their opponent as if connected by magnetic impulse.

Meanwhile, Gabby and Pheesa have improved their formidable technique in the blocking dept. (w/o fouling)
by leaps and bounds (sorry about that).

And now, a new presence is emerging; the elegant Ms Samuelson is joining the party.
Who would have thought that such mundane, blue-collar duty would interest a California girl? :)
But with a little encouragement from the staff, this sinewy, tall person is beginning to derive pleasure
from swatting away the shots of the opposition as well as (gasp) searching the horizon for rebounds.

The combined efforts of those three are beginning to resemble certain episodes I clearly recall.

With all these pieces coming together, the possibility exists that this team's D may eventually equal, indeed surpass that of former Husky outfits of recent memory And if Ms. D transforms to a ball-hawk in the Jeffersonian tradition (Is not coach harping on this?): # 12 is in the bag.

Reaction Score
Great catch, msf22b! I bet you're right. At halftime at the UCF game, Geno said that they were a bit slow that night and were "cheating" with arm fouls. They have to play sharper because there's not Stewie behind them and because they can't afford to foul. But they are quick, so to a great extent they can make up their "shortness" with position.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
MSF - good catch, but I think part of that may be a direct result of being less aggressive defensively this year. That back line is not as good, the help defense is not as good, and more fouls get committed when help defense is required, so defenders are not gambling for steals quite as much as they used to, they may be taking a half step back rather than being right in the face of their player all to keep the player from getting past them - much better to give up a semi open jump shot than to get blown past and have gabby or Napheesa pick up another foul trying to cover.

Uconn has always been very good at teaching and executing fundamental angles on defense, over-playing the strong hand of a player, and facing them on angles away from the middle of the court, and towards the sidelines and baseline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom