UConn could announce plans to cut some sports at Wednesday's Board of Trustees meeting... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn could announce plans to cut some sports at Wednesday's Board of Trustees meeting...

Reaction Score
I am still a huge UConn fan. I will support the Huskies in every way except financially. I swam at UConn from 1981-1985 (no aid, the men's team had a total of 1.5 scholarships back then). Enough $$ was raised to save the program. Since Women's swimming was spared, its even more for a big F* U, because they share a coach, pool and most travel. The men had 5.87 scholarships to +/-10 for the women. And with the move to the Big East, they would have competed for that championship immediately. I think this is more about optics than anything else. And you never hear about swimmers being arrested for stealing computers or running from the po-po on scooters. Good luck Coach Maiello and women’s swimming.

PS I mentioned UConn athletics being cut off. The UConn Center for Real Estate and Urban Economic Studies will be the financial beneficiary of this terrible terrible move by Benedict and the Board of Trustees.
That's awesome that you swam for UConn - still a swimmer? I just swam this AM for 2nd time in 6 months, very slow but no better way to get back in shape. Ugly low 26 strokes/minute in open water that I need to double. I was at UConn 83-87 so maybe crossed paths.

Not sure why they picked on men's swimming, maybe as you say an easier target without that many athletes or supporters but then of course that's like swatting a knat amidst a murder hornet swarm. Can the swim team morph into a 'club'? I recall that's all that either rugby or lacross or both were back in the 80's.

The biggest costs sports are still too much of a controversy & reboot MO to go after right now and cutting those would result in massive corresponding cuts to even out # of athletes.

This happens to a lot of alumni though, I have a friend that wrestled at BC and he's forever been disgusted at the way they run their programs and treat their alumnus.

No need for the 10+yr old potshot or even recent ones. We had plenty of fun back at UConn in the day and if the campus police were as active as nowadays there'd have been 100 arrests per week on the roads back to campus from Hooligans, Rapp's and 'Talk of the Town' .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Given the size of the AD deficit, I have to think that this is only round 1.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

That's about $1.5 mil.

yeah I recall one book about big business college football saying that women’s rowing was the offset for football in a lot of programs.

Reaction Score
yeah I recall one book about big business college football saying that women’s rowing was the offset for football in a lot of programs.
That’s why the only other cuts were to men’s part of tennis golf xc to balance title IX. my guess is rowing had a big expense relative to other women’s sports bring considered.

Reaction Score
I am still a huge UConn fan. I will support the Huskies in every way except financially. I swam at UConn from 1981-1985 (no aid, the men's team had a total of 1.5 scholarships back then). Enough $$ was raised to save the program. Since Women's swimming was spared, its even more for a big F* U, because they share a coach, pool and most travel. The men had 5.87 scholarships to +/-10 for the women. And with the move to the Big East, they would have competed for that championship immediately. I think this is more about optics than anything else. And you never hear about swimmers being arrested for stealing computers or running from the po-po on scooters. Good luck Coach Maiello and women’s swimming.

PS I mentioned UConn athletics being cut off. The UConn Center for Real Estate and Urban Economic Studies will be the financial beneficiary of this terrible terrible move by Benedict and the Board of Trustees.
You realize they need the women’s schollies for Title IX? my guess is that women’s rowing cost more than women golf tennis and xc combined hence the reason

Reaction Score
A sad day for the University. My daughter has a good friend on the women's rowing team. Her friend was a great player at another sport who found rowing when her career at the other sport ended. I think they should've given more time to raise money. The non-revenue sports are what's great about college athletics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom