UConn could announce plans to cut some sports at Wednesday's Board of Trustees meeting... | The Boneyard

UConn could announce plans to cut some sports at Wednesday's Board of Trustees meeting...

Reaction Score
That’s just bookkeeping, you say? Well, then it also means UConn’s subsidy is closer to $20 million, not the $40 million figure some national sportswriters are all-too eager to write about.

Borges just doesn't understand this. It's not in-state tuition. It's not out-of-state tuition. The real money is the expenditure per student. The reimbursement would only even out if the AD reimbursed the school for the actual expenditure, not the in-state or out-of-state tuition. But it's a common mistake that people make.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And this is a concern? I don't care if he wore coveralls, carried a rifle to the meetings and was chewing on a toothpick if he could save UConn athletics.
Nah, not a concern. I just hate the look. It's part of my schtick.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here<<

>>Despite a relatively quick turnaround of a few weeks, alumni have managed to collect substantial pledge sums so far. Track and field alumni corralled nearly $1.6 million in pledges. Men’s golf has around $270,000 committed for the upcoming year and nearly $900,000 across the next five years, while tennis is up to $300,000.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Alternate access link here<<

>>Despite a relatively quick turnaround of a few weeks, alumni have managed to collect substantial pledge sums so far. Track and field alumni corralled nearly $1.6 million in pledges. Men’s golf has around $270,000 committed for the upcoming year and nearly $900,000 across the next five years, while tennis is up to $300,000.<<

Been seeing a lot of Track commits up on Instagram. Seems like full steam ahead and that makes me happy.

Reaction Score
Been seeing a lot of Track commits up on Instagram. Seems like full steam ahead and that makes me happy.
Yea... swimming was conspicuously absent from that story this morning.

Reaction Score

Interesting to see what happens to the Golf team. I know a few of the former players personally who are involved with the fundraising efforts, which was run on the local news in CT recently. I know those alums were working very hard to infuse some funds into the program to hopefully keep it afloat.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Mens Swiming. Gone
Mens Tennis. Gone
Mens Cross Country. Gone
Womens Rowing. Gone.

UConn athletics will never see another dime from me. Luckily, the move to the Big East makes basketball road games very accessible. Its not like you have to pay for football tickets. And I've got friends with hockey tickets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sucks, but it's not the 8 sports that some bogus "reporters" were insinuating.

Reaction Score
Mens Swiming. Gone
Mens Tennis. Gone
Mens Cross Country. Gone
Womens Rowing. Gone.

UConn athletics will never see another dime from me. Luckily, the move to the Big East makes basketball road games very accessible. Its not like you have to pay for football tickets. And I've got friends with hockey tickets.
You plan on attending hockey, football and basketball games whilst making your line in the sand about not giving $? Maybe support the sports you are upset about losing versus trying to punish the school yet still getting every benefit that interests you?
It sucks that sports are getting cut and real student athletes are losing out.

Reaction Score
Interesting to see what happens to the Golf team. I know a few of the former players personally who are involved with the fundraising efforts, which was run on the local news in CT recently. I know those alums were working very hard to infuse some funds into the program to hopefully keep it afloat.
I am one of those alums. Would be very sad indeed if that program goes under. We weren't that good when I was there, but they have made tremendous strides since. Would be a shame to see that progress stymied.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
You plan on attending hockey, football and basketball games whilst making your line in the sand about not giving $? Maybe support the sports you are upset about losing versus trying to punish the school yet still getting every benefit that interests you?
It sucks that sports are getting cut and real student athletes are losing out.

I am still a huge UConn fan. I will support the Huskies in every way except financially. I swam at UConn from 1981-1985 (no aid, the men's team had a total of 1.5 scholarships back then). Enough $$ was raised to save the program. Since Women's swimming was spared, its even more for a big F* U, because they share a coach, pool and most travel. The men had 5.87 scholarships to +/-10 for the women. And with the move to the Big East, they would have competed for that championship immediately. I think this is more about optics than anything else. And you never hear about swimmers being arrested for stealing computers or running from the po-po on scooters. Good luck Coach Maiello and women’s swimming.

PS I mentioned UConn athletics being cut off. The UConn Center for Real Estate and Urban Economic Studies will be the financial beneficiary of this terrible terrible move by Benedict and the Board of Trustees.

Last edited:

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I think the cuts are reasonable, all things considered.

The Cross Country guys on scholarship shouldn’t be terribly affected because they’re part of T&F anyway. Losing out on the competition/travel in Fall is a bummer but overall this is about as good of an outcome as you could get for Track given the circumstances

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom