UConn Concussions | The Boneyard

UConn Concussions

sun

Reaction Score
Rarely do we hear about concussions in WBB.
But in 2018, "Audrey Holt, Missouri State senior forward, made national headlines when she decided to retire from college basketball after suffering her 14th concussion.
Holt played in 95 games during her collegiate career and ranks 15th in her school’s history with 53 blocks."

This statement is revealing because how often do fans consider that some NCAA players may have a long history of concussions from all of their previous years of playing.

A casual search revealed that at least 2 UConn women players have suffered concussions.
Both were in 2011, Tiffany Hayes and Bria Hartley.
It happened to one during a game and the other during a practice.

Hayes' injury leads to questions

The NCAA does have a concussion safety protocol management checklist and template.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There was that Stanford player a few years ago who was forcibly removed from the team because of multiple concussions (Stanford Drs. refused to clear her for return to play.) She then went shopping for a team that would clear her - ended up at Texas I believe.

Concussions in all sports are an issue and I know that Uconn WBB has implemented protocols - can't remember the player recently entered into those protocols after a collision on the court but I think I remember 2 in say the last 5 years.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There was that Stanford player a few years ago who was forcibly removed from the team because of multiple concussions (Stanford Drs. refused to clear her for return to play) who then went shopping for a team that would clear her - ended up at Texas I believe.

Concussions in all sports are an issue and I know that Uconn WBB has implemented protocols - can't remember the player recently entered into those protocols after a collision on the court but I think I remember 2 in say the last 5 years.
Jamey Carey

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Jamey Carey
... who went on to have a good pro career with the Connecticut Sun as Lindsey Whalen's backup point guard. And Tiff, Bria, and Crystal are all playing still in the WNBA.

A single concussion is not disabling and should not be career-ending. Multiple concussions over a period of months or years, obviously, are a different story entirely.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Any sunburn stats?

sun

Reaction Score
There's research that suggests that women basketball players are more susceptible to concussions than men due to anatomical differences.

"... In soccer, basketball and softball, for example, she found that female players are almost twice as likely to suffer a concussion as male ones....

... concussions can arise from the sudden movement of the head as well as from a direct blow to the skull...

...Some researchers are taking another approach: designing special exercises which could strengthen female neck muscles, which could reduce the violent movement of the head following an impact. “It could decrease the basic chance for [concussive] brain injuries,” says Inga Koerte....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
... who went on to have a good pro career with the Connecticut Sun as Lindsey Whalen's backup point guard. And Tiff, Bria, and Crystal are all playing still in the WNBA.

A single concussion is not disabling and should not be career-ending. Multiple concussions over a period of months or years, obviously, are a different story entirely.
Carey had multiple concussions until, finally, the Stanford doctors refused to clear her to play in her sophomore year. Carey transferred to Texas and had a brilliant career there and after.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that Tiff was accidentally clotheslined by the indestructible Maya Moore while chasing down a wild pass.

In the context of Paige being injured, Azzi being injured, et al., it makes me appreciate Maya even more. She played 154 of 154 games at UConn. I think she finally sat out of precaution in her 6th or 7th season in the W. I believe that Maya missed 1 game in about 16 seasons from high school through the pros.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom