UConn @ Coastal Carolina Tourney (Fri. 3/1 Northeastern, Sat. 3/2 Dbl Header>Indiana @1:05 & #19 Coastal Carolina @5:30 & Sun. 3/3 #25 Illinois @Noon) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Coastal Carolina Tourney (Fri. 3/1 Northeastern, Sat. 3/2 Dbl Header>Indiana @1:05 & #19 Coastal Carolina @5:30 & Sun. 3/3 #25 Illinois @Noon)

Reaction Score
Coach Penders has always had a history of trying to get young talented pitchers into the starting rotation. With Feole back and eventually eating up innings, it will make it a lot easier to wait for the development of Joe Simeone. He had three solid innings before the roof caved in on him on Saturday, but that was progress from the first couple of weeks. But that is a general theme for all young pitchers, almost all of them need time to develop. Penders in postgame interviews had good words for both Wang and Wurster, and Karl Johnson also pitched well on Saturday in both games.

I also have a feeling that Colby Dunlop is going land as a midweek starter, basically a developmental spot for him to return to the starting weekend rotation next season. Remember, the coaching staff loves his upside. Kenny Haus I'm guessing will be a swing guy between relief and the occasional start, unless Dunlop gets totally bumped out of starting.

Gardner is working himself out of pitching (let alone starting), until he can show he can throw strikes. He showed the coaching staff all last season that he is only effective for a few innings, so I'm doubting a return to starting is immediately in the cards for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coach Penders has always had a history of trying to get young talented pitchers into the starting rotation. With Feole back and eventually eating up innings, it will make it a lot easier to wait for the development of Joe Simeone. He had three solid innings before the roof caved in on him on Saturday, but that was progress from the first couple of weeks. But that is a general theme for all young pitchers, almost all of them need time to develop. Penders in postgame interviews had good words for both Wang and Wurster, and Karl Johnson pitched well on Saturday as well.

I also have a feeling that Colby Dunlop is going land as a midweek starter, basically a developmental spot for him to return to the starting weekend rotation next season. Remember, the coaching staff loves his upside. Kenny Haus I'm guessing will be a swing guy between relief and the occasional start, unless Dunlop gets totally bumped out of starting.

Gardner is working himself out of pitching (let alone starting), until he can show he can throw strikes. He showed the coaching staff all last season that he is only effective for a few innings, so I'm doubting a return to starting is immediately in the cards for him.

One other thing about Simeone. He had hip surgery last summer, and I believe he had just resumed pitching again in the preseason, just before the season started. He is still getting his arm strengthened and stretched out for starting pitching.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
One other thing about Simeone. He had hip surgery last summer, and I believe he had just resumed pitching again in the preseason, just before the season started. He is still getting his arm strengthened and stretched out for starting pitching.

He has good stuff. I feel the difference between fighting to host a regional and fighting for a 3 seed will be whether or not he develops into a legitimate #3 starter.

I think we'll start to figure the bullpen out. Wang and Wurster look like candidates to eat innings.

Reaction Score
UConn is making an impression with the college baseball press:

Texas Has Statement Weekend Against LSU • D1Baseball

>UConn notches third win over Top 25 teams
The Huskies may only be 5-5 overall but today’s 7-4 win over Illinois is their third win over a ranked opponent on this young season (the other two coming in impressive fashion against Louisville). I know I mentioned how the staff at D1Baseball.com is impressed with Illinois on this young season, but I’m tellin’ ya’ come late April and early May, the Huskies are going to be a real witch for opponents to deal with. Today was just another small indicator.

Oh, and staff ace Mason Feole was making his first start since pitching for Team USA last summer and was as rusty as you might expect, going 3.0 innings and giving up three hits and two runs in a no-decision.<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom