UConn coach Dan Hurley won’t retire until he accomplishes ‘some of the things” Jay Wright has | The Boneyard

UConn coach Dan Hurley won’t retire until he accomplishes ‘some of the things” Jay Wright has

Reaction Score

“I have a lot I want to accomplish as a coach,” Hurley told Mike Anthony of Hearst Media. “I’ll put it to you like this: I won’t be retiring until I’ve given everything I have in to accomplishing some of the things that Jay has. For me, Jay accomplished everything he wanted to accomplish and everything you could accomplish in the game — Hall of Fame, national championships, Big East championships, so many players in the NBA, ran one of the best programs in college basketball. He’s rewarded himself with being able to walk away knowing he accomplished everything he set out to do. Now he gets to enjoy his life.”

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wait, whut?
'“I’ll put it to you like this: I won’t be retiring until I’ve given everything I have in to accomplishing some of the things that Jay has. For me, Jay accomplished everything he wanted to accomplish and everything you could accomplish in the game — Hall of Fame, national championships, Big East championships, so many players in the NBA, ran one of the best programs in college basketball.'

need to see more, way more, before i dream like that.
wait, whut? part deux.
'Now he gets to enjoy his life'
i wuz told by you, danny, that this job will be the funnest thing in ur life, 'a dream come true.' am i now to believe that u don't enjoy it?

ok, sum serious picking of nits there by me, but i'm goin full on Missouri, the Show Me state, henceforth. also heard at his hiring presser 'the product you see on the court, there's not going to be a more connected team...' connected 'to the portal' is what he should have said, cuz, ya know, that's the fact, jack. and now, the part aboot us chasing after sum guy looking for his fourth school, with one year left, feels appropriate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Danny’s desire was never in question and neither is his recruiting so far but to get to where he (and we) want to go I think he has to take that up a notch. Calhoun got a few very elite highly ranked players. So far Danny has not.

Reaction Score
Danny’s desire was never in question and neither is his recruiting so far but to get to where he (and we) want to go I think he has to take that up a notch. Calhoun got a few very elite highly ranked players. So far Danny has not.
Comparing any coaches recruiting success in the current environment to that of a HOF coach who recruited from the 1980s-2010s is disingenuous. Completely different landscape, especially with the transfer portal and NIL. Getting Top 10 players is gonna take truckloads of cash delivered to the player in broad daylight (vs bags of cash in back alleyways).

Edit: to be clear, I’m not implying Calhoun did/didn’t do any of that. Just making a general point about recruiting Top 10 talent now vs them.

Reaction Score
wait, whut?
'“I’ll put it to you like this: I won’t be retiring until I’ve given everything I have in to accomplishing some of the things that Jay has. For me, Jay accomplished everything he wanted to accomplish and everything you could accomplish in the game — Hall of Fame, national championships, Big East championships, so many players in the NBA, ran one of the best programs in college basketball.'

wait, whut? part deux.
i wuz told by you, danny, that this job will be the funnest thing in ur life, 'a dream come true.' am i now to believe that u don't enjoy it?

ok, sum serious picking of nits there by me, but i'm goin full on Missouri, the Show Me state, henceforth. also heard at his hiring presser 'the product you see on the court, there's not going to be a more connected team...' connected 'to the portal' is what he should have said, cuz, ya know, that's the fact, jack. and now, the part aboot us chasing after sum guy looking for his fourth school, with one year left, feels appropriate.

Got to get with the madness and adjust he must or get left in the dust. In Danny we trust. You talkin crazy like yo eyes are deceiving you like a old lady. Not only tha eyes though, don’t wanna accept times are changing and that rosters are in constant rearranging to get it right like that color cube. In a couple years you gonna like the mood.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Comparing any coaches recruiting success in the current environment to that of a HOF coach who recruited from the 1980s-2010s is disingenuous. Completely different landscape, especially with the transfer portal and NIL. Getting Top 10 players is gonna take truckloads of cash delivered to the player in broad daylight (vs bags of cash in back alleyways).

Edit: to be clear, I’m not implying Calhoun did/didn’t do any of that. Just making a general point about recruiting Top 10 talent now vs them.
Time changes everything
Calhoun did what he had to do and did it rather quickly, continued tweaking with recruitment and his teams won and went the full route 3 times. He had his hurdles, DH has his
Let's see if DH does the things he needs to do and win in the tournament and NBE titles - no need to start making alibis - cash was flowing in Calhoun's day also but he didn't get top 10 players. Getting Top Ten players was not a priority nor a reality and it won't be in DH's world either - they will go P5 or pro

Reaction Score
I don't think it's the recruiting that's going to hold him back, it's the in game coaching. He's made improvements over the 4 years but he has a long way to go to be doing it consistently

Reaction Score

We want to compete with Kansas Duke Kentucky and North Carolina. All of those schools get multiple studs on their full rosters, some being reloaded every year. I’m not asking for that. What I want is 1 top ten player, KEA, Donyell even if it’s for 1 season. I don’t buy into the truckloads of cash theory for all of those teams mentioned and ALL of their top 10 players. Is it possible to win it without one of those? Yes it is.

Reaction Score
wait, whut?
wait, whut? part deux.

People who give thumbs down are like people who talk in metaphors:

Reaction Score
It took JC years to start getting top ten talent.
Yes it did, but he had an eye for unrecognized talent and the ability to get those players to play to their full potential. In 1 season he took Gerry Besselink from averaging under 5 rebounds to almost 11. Look at Rod Sellers. Emeka chose us over Vandy and Arkansas- so not highly recruited. There were many of those over the years who totally out performed their rankings.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
People who give thumbs down are like people who talk in metaphors:

deep. complex. pithy. lyrical. laden with double entendre. thought provoking. in high english - 'whut u talkin 'boot willis?'
wait, what? lol.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Got to get with the madness and adjust he must or get left in the dust. In Danny we trust. You talkin crazy like yo eyes are deceiving you like a old lady. Not only tha eyes though, don’t wanna accept times are changing and that rosters are in constant rearranging to get it right like that color cube. In a couple years you gonna like the mood.
'In a couple years you gonna like the mood.'
i sure hope that ur right, but my clock changed to 'one year' a few weeks back. hey danny, get moving! times a wastin....
and, for the umpteenth time, can anyone explain to me why davis, mr wonderful, wasn't our top priority this silly season? i mean, getting him here, all things considered, was a match made in heaven.
and oh, danny, and danny only, gets the credit for the typo wasteland years. speaking of which, iffn u look closely at the cartoon thought bubbles over the heads of our dearly departed, i swear that u can read 'wait, im sitting here picking splinters, and this guy is out there jacking bricks with nothing else to add?' 'this is messed up.'
yup, that's what they say. look closer.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how we can't go a single thread without taking shots at our head coach. Yeah, the guy is flawed. He also isn't going anywhere. The single worst part of that tournament loss was knowing I'd had to read this drivel all off-season.

No, it's still letting the guy the entire planet knew was their only shot they had at beating you, beat you anyway.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess his comments could be taken a few ways. Let’s see. Jay bought natty suits. Maybe Hurley gets himself a good tailor. Then he can say he accomplishes one of the tings Jay did. Then he can maybe wear put on socks. He then has accomplished some of the things Jay did and call it a day. Otherwise he might still be working at 103.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess his comments could be taken a few ways. Let’s see. Jay bought natty suits. Maybe Hurley gets himself a good tailor. Then he can say he accomplishes one of the tings Jay did. Then he can maybe wear put on socks. He then has accomplished some of the things Jay did and call it a day. Otherwise he might still be working at 103.
Thank you for your interest in UConn MBB.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
A lot of chatter about Jay Wright coaching NBA next season

Reaction Score

“I have a lot I want to accomplish as a coach,” Hurley told Mike Anthony of Hearst Media. “I’ll put it to you like this: I won’t be retiring until I’ve given everything I have in to accomplishing some of the things that Jay has. For me, Jay accomplished everything he wanted to accomplish and everything you could accomplish in the game — Hall of Fame, national championships, Big East championships, so many players in the NBA, ran one of the best programs in college basketball. He’s rewarded himself with being able to walk away knowing he accomplished everything he set out to do. Now he gets to enjoy his life.”

All good and dandy but the guy who had your job a few years ago for almost 30 years did more than Jay Wright. Maybe you should you should keep what you want to accomplish closer to home?

Reaction Score
It took JC years to start getting top ten talent.

UConn wasn’t UConn when JC took over. They couldn’t keep home state talent and hardly lost the Yankee Conference label being in the basement of the Big East so often.

Reaction Score

So he is never retiring ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom