Uconn cheerleaders | The Boneyard

Uconn cheerleaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Caught them I think, singing, at the end of the DP game. Good grief... those bottoms looked like what a woman would buy as form fitting support underwear. It was not flattering at all to most of that team. Spirited, yes enthusiastic, yes. athletic, yes but other than that ?????

Reaction Score
We are very lucky to have young ladies (and guys as well) that want to devote their time to support our teams and entertain us. I'm sure everyone has an opinion one way or the other about how they look and the outfits they are made to wear? I'm just glad that we have students willing to go out there and lead cheers and bring enthusiasm to the games. Let's cut out the unnecessary criticism of a group of young people out their for our benefit. It's unnecessary and serves no purpose.

Reaction Score
Agree -- I find them very unflattering, and I've heard a number of people mention this recently. I'm not criticizing their figures -- even the slender girls do not look good in those outfits, IMHO. They do a fine job and I love their enthusiasm, athleticism, etc., but the outfits remind me of the girdle my mother wore 40 years ago, except she wore it underneath her clothing. I would think they would be very uncomfortable as well ... :-(

Reaction Score
They're kids, working out their own body images and self-representations. It's possible to disagree with what they think looks good, but still appreciate that they are enjoying themselves and thinking differently about what's appropriate. After all, they're not looking into the stands and blogging: look at that all those lumpy old fans who think they're dressing like they're still 25 (who, me?).

Reaction Score
I saw exactly what the OP saw and it was very unattractive. You don't see the male cheerleaders dressed in skin tight shorts and crop tops. Those outfits were picked by the school to display their female cheerleaders' sexuality. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. Those outfits look great on young females with tiny waists but not with muffin tops. I'm all in favor of females not being pressured to starve themselves to fit some "Barbie" image but then don't force them to dress in Barbie outfits. Dress them in full length shirts and sweatpants. It works for the men.

Reaction Score
I don't think the OP was shaming anyone. I know that wasn't my intention. We were talking about the outfits, not the students wearing them. I apologize if this offended anyone (did not mean to)!

Reaction Score
I believe you are referring to the dance team not the cheerleaders. You guys don't watch much college sports do you. Every college has the same thing. Not saying it is right

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score

I don't think Nan meant this as criticism, but as an observation regarding fashion. We comment on the players uniforms all the time. However, had one of us guys posted what Nan posted, we would have been tared and feathered ...and maybe even banned from the Boneyard by the other Nan. :eek: :D I thought it was hilarious.

JavaWoman wan

Saying you dislike UConn's gray uniforms is a whole lot different than saying a cheerleader's outfit would only look good on someone with a tiny waist.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
67594575.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They're kids, working out their own body images and self-representations. It's possible to disagree with what they think looks good, but still appreciate that they are enjoying themselves and thinking differently about what's appropriate. After all, they're not looking into the stands and blogging: look at that all those lumpy old fans who think they're dressing like they're still 25 (who, me?).
No, I think the point is the uniforms seemed inappropriate. I'm not a fan of tight fitting uni's for any booster or cheerleader. I've also noticed as I've said before that young ladies on many teams seemed to be tucking or rolling up the bottoms of their shorts. I predicted that soon some would start wearing shorter shorts. Sure enough while watching Texas Tech vs Arkansas today I saw just that. One young woman even tucked under these to make them shorter. I'm ambivalent about shorter shorts. I prefer longer shorts for men and women, but if some want to wear the short ones, that's their choice. I certainly however wouldn't want the court to become a catwalk for players.

Reaction Score
Every generation has its gripes about fashion and every generation thinks it was fine until recently but now it's vulgar or even worse, "it's the devil's tool" (to quote Seventy-Sex Trombones):

Women who played in the early 1890s wore long skirts and slippers. Many bruises, sprains, and broken bones resulted. By the turn of the 20th century, women wore bloomers—baggy, knee-length pants that fastened below the knee—when exercising. As hemlines rose in popular fashion, so did the length of the bloomers. When the Aces were playing in the 1920s, flappers were wearing their skirts above their knees. This is reflected in the shorts worn by the Topeka team. Hemlines and bloomer length were not the only thing to rise; so did complaints that such uniforms were too revealing. Ironically, attendance at games also rose.

Cool Things - Women's Basketball Uniform - Kansapedia - Kansas Historical Society

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Saw no comments about anyone's body. That some folks think the uniforms your cheerleaders (or dance team) wears are not to their taste is an ok discussion, IMHO.

Arizona has a twirl squad - a very good one, I think. They did a performance at our last game, very impressive. I have no issue per se with what they were wearing - I assume it is what twirl squads wear - but I can honestly say that it made me think of the 1960's. Sort of looked like a 1 piece sequined swim suit. The only thing I thought was truly odd was the red wildcat paw on the junction of the straps on the back.

That said, as someone pointed out, as long as students want to be cheerleaders, dancers or twirlers, it is a very good thing and should be encouraged.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I saw exactly what the OP saw and it was very unattractive. You don't see the male cheerleaders dressed in skin tight shorts and crop tops. Those outfits were picked by the school to display their female cheerleaders' sexuality. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. Those outfits look great on young females with tiny waists but not with muffin tops. I'm all in favor of females not being pressured to starve themselves to fit some "Barbie" image but then don't force them to dress in Barbie outfits. Dress them in full length shirts and sweatpants. It works for the men.
Good grief, I took jazz dance class 50 years ago and wore similar outfits, but with fishnet stockings. They're dance outfits, not office wear. Dance outfits have nothing to do with sexuality and everything to do with freedom of movement, conveying a mood, etc. Watch Dancing With The Stars sometime and you'll see what I mean. The young women aren't out there to impress anyone with their appearance, they're at the games for entertainment and to build spirit.

And, I've met a lot of Boneyarders and they're the last ones who should be making snarky comments about muffin-tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom