UConn can't shoot the 3 or guard against it.... | The Boneyard

UConn can't shoot the 3 or guard against it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn 10 times.jpg

I keep reading that UConn can't shoot the 3 pt shot very well this year and they certainly can't guard against it. DePaul and Notre Dame smoked the Huskies and as a result, both games were almost lost..!! This is the thinking that ignores the reality that DePaul and Notre Dame led UConn for a combined 2 minutes and neither game was even close. For a change, let's look at the facts.

1. Opponents have made 60 three point baskets. UConn has made, get ready for it, 60 three point baskets..!!
2. Yes, but UConn shot more, right? Not really, 173 attempts for UConn, 169 for opponents. Four more...:cool:
3. But isn't Stewie the only one making 3's? Not really, she has 12 made threes, MoJeff has 11, Lou has 10 and Nurse has 9.
4. Katie Lou can't shoot anything this season, right? No. She has hit only 25% of threes, but 76% from inside the arc and 92% from the free throw line.
5. But, Chong and Ekmark have been a disappointment..? Not really, they have 7 combined three point baskets and a 39% accuracy rate. TLAW is 2-2 from three and perfect.
6. Well, Collier and Williams haven't made a single three all season. Yes, but they tried only 2.

There is hope for the Huskies this season. They can make the three point shot and can defend against it. Just wait and see...
grin.png

Go Huskies..!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wait until Lou gets untracked. She's a little more streaky than KML, but her averages are similar. I'm looking for a 6-8 game soon.

Reaction Score
Great post. In reality this team doesn't require us to make 9 plus threes a game to win as we did last year. With Stewie, Mo, Kia, Morgan, Gabby and Pheesa we are killing teams within the paint. Although Geno would most likely wish our three point accuracy to improve, which I believe it will, it is my guess that he would still want to continue scoring in the paint as often as possible. Let's be real, although after nine games our three point baskets are down 23 from last year, our total team scoring is only down 15 points. But in the same nine game period our defense has allowed 12 points less. After nine games, KML had made 31 three point baskets, but remember she made 10 of those in the first game against UC-Davis. It appears that teams are playing more zone this year, but we don't seem to be having any difficulties in scoring. It should improve even more when Natalie can play can pass from the high post to Stewie, Morgan, Gabby and Pheesa.

With the graduation of KML and Kia after nine games we lost 181 points. This year after nine games Stewie is +21 points (she only played in eight games this season), Morgan is +14, Mo is +40, Kia is -33, Gabby is +16. Our bench is a -12 points (182 in 14/15 and 170 in 15/16). All in all, different team, same results. GO HUSKIES

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
View attachment 11524

I keep reading that UConn can't shoot the 3 pt shot very well this year and they certainly can't guard against it. DePaul and Notre Dame smoked the Huskies and as a result, both games were almost lost..!! This is the thinking that ignores the reality that DePaul and Notre Dame led UConn for a combined 2 minutes and neither game was even close. For a change, let's look at the facts.

1. Opponents have made 60 three point baskets. UConn has made, get ready for it, 60 three point baskets..!!
2. Yes, but UConn shot more, right? Not really, 173 attempts for UConn, 169 for opponents. Four more...:cool:
3. But isn't Stewie the only one making 3's? Not really, she has 12 made threes, MoJeff has 11, Lou has 10 and Nurse has 9.
4. Katie Lou can't shoot anything this season, right? No. She has hit only 25% of threes, but 76% from inside the arc and 92% from the free throw line.
5. But, Chong and Ekmark have been a disappointment..? Not really, they have 7 combined three point baskets and a 39% accuracy rate. TLAW is 2-2 from three and perfect.
6. Well, Collier and Williams haven't made a single three all season. Yes, but they tried only 2.

There is hope for the Huskies this season. They can make the three point shot and can defend against it. Just wait and see...
grin.png

Go Huskies..!!
David, why would you want to go with facts? Hand wringing and angst and doubting the coaching staff is so much more rewarding.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Good post, David. You addressed a Concern that's grave and measurable enough to be more substantial than a straw man to take apart. But you took it apart very effectively.

Reaction Score
View attachment 11524

I keep reading that UConn can't shoot the 3 pt shot very well this year and they certainly can't guard against it. DePaul and Notre Dame smoked the Huskies and as a result, both games were almost lost..!! This is the

grin.png

Go Huskies..!!

Hey, David, is that fellow Floridian Briana Pulido pictured prominently in the photo? Definitely a homer . . .[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
David, why would you want to go with facts? Hand wringing and angst and doubting the coaching staff is so much more rewarding.

Icebear, if you want angst and doubting the coaching staff, just visit VolNation. That's about all there is lately.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It could get really boring around here if we have to start dealing with the truth.:eek:

Sonny44, you could have taken your comment a step further and added "and reality" on the end.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Wait until Lou gets untracked. She's a little more streaky than KML, but her averages are similar. I'm looking for a 6-8 game soon.

Well.. I think she already is "untracked." If she can get ON track, watch out!

Reaction Score
View attachment 11524

grin.png

Go Huskies..!!
DAVID---NO NEED TO SURGAR COAT IT~~!!! UCONN JUST ISN'T UCONN OF OLD.
Uconn has no "Big men" they only have one guard--Jefferson. Katie Lou only shoots 3, badly. Collier is so overrated. Chong and Ekmark--where did you dig up those "facts"
The Sky is Falling and no one is seeing it.
When Kiah G rains 40 point on uconn the world will know the truth!!!

I hate to disagree with David --and I won't disagree here..

Reaction Score
View attachment 11524

There is hope for the Huskies this season. They can make the three point shot and can defend against it. Just wait an
View attachment 11524

grin.png

Go Huskies..!!
\
Thank you David for seeing the "advocate of the devil" I was being --tongue firmly in my cheek.
I'd be a fool to dis agree with REAL facts. Thanks......
How about and analysis of the Maryland game??? Great game--close but never REALLY in doubt. Made the blood move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom