UCONN breaks into top 20 for public universities per latest US News and World Repeort | The Boneyard

UCONN breaks into top 20 for public universities per latest US News and World Repeort

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Please note i caught this on the men's side and knew it would be interest here. i also copied some of the OP's comments as well...

UConn was #27 last year. They are now tied for #19 along with University of Florida, University of Pittsburgh, and Texas A&M. This is UConn's 13th year in a row where they have been the best public university in New England.

BTW in the complete rankings which includes private schools UCONN is up to 58 (we were in the 60's last year). Rutgers dropped to 68 (they used to be ahead of us) and Tennessee is down at 101, firmly behind the Colorado School of Mines which i find amusing.

On the national list, Stanford is 5, Duke 10, Notre Dame 19, Georgetown 22. BCU and BU are both ahead of UCONN as is Maryland at 55 but we are right on their heels.

One other interesting thing to note, UMass-Amherst is no longer the second best public university in New England (the school that was first prior to UConn's current streak). It is now the University of Vermont. (Aside: If you've ever been there, it is absolutely beautiful.)

UConn's graduation rate in 2010 was 81% and the freshmen retention rate was 93%. These are among the highest in the nation.

You can find the whole list here: US News and World Report top 20 public universities

by the way when i clicked on the link, it took about 30 seconds to load which seems forever these days.

Reaction Score
Eric,

You beat me to it! UCONN is ranked #58 in National Universities as well. Pretty darn good.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
*waits for the first poster to post Tennessee's rankings as a comparison*

:)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
*waits for the first poster to post Tennessee's rankings as a comparison*

:)
true! but i also listed a bunch of other schools i thought might be of interest to UCONN fans...

Reaction Score
And to think it all comes down to a decision made some 30 odd years ago by the President of UConn and the Director of Athletics: to build a first class team in men's and women's basketball in order to capture the attention of our negligent state representatives who had been feeding the school's budget through a pipette.

An ingenious strategy, to be sure!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And to think it all comes down to a decision made some 30 odd years ago by the President of UConn and the Director of Athletics: to build a first class team in men's and women's basketball in order to capture the attention of our negligent state representatives who had been feeding the school's budget through a pipette.

An ingenious strategy, to be sure!
love your avatar wonk. is that a piglet?

Reaction Score
In the past we were always identified as simply the University of Connecticut (with no geographical qualification). This time we are University of Connecticut - Storrs. I wonder if we've decided to segregate the satellite campus student data and that contributed to a better ranking.

Reaction Score
BTW in the complete rankings which includes private schools UCONN is up to 58 (we were in the 60's last year). Rutgers dropped to 68 (they used to be ahead of us) and Tennessee is down at 101, firmly behind the Colorado School of Mines which i find amusing.

UConn's graduation rate in 2010 was 81% and the freshmen retention rate was 93%. These are among the highest in the nation.

Just to clarify, those stats are only for their "national universities" category. There are probably 50 liberal arts colleges (Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Army, Navy, Davidson, Colgate, Bucknell, Trinity, etc) that rank ahead of most of the national universities in any of the metrics.

The same is true of graduation rate and freshman retention rate. While UConn's rates are very good for national universities, its graduation rate lags behind a large number of liberal arts colleges - which have graduation rates in the high 80's or low 90's.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In the past we were always identified as simply the University of Connecticut (with no geographical qualification). This time we are University of Connecticut - Storrs. I wonder if we've decided to segregate the satellite campus student data and that contributed to a better ranking.
Or else that was being done before and they decided the use of Storrs clarified that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom