UConn bracket placement in the 90's | The Boneyard

UConn bracket placement in the 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was wondering what the perception was from our fan base at the time about how UConn was treated by the NCAA selection committee when we were building our program and trying to break through in the 90's. I was a in my pre teens back than and not in tune to all the noise. But looking back it seemed we had some suspiciously very tough draws. This interested me because UConn would have off years where we missed the NCAA's (1993 and 1997) and some years where we were a lower seed (1991 and 1992) where seeding was a non factor. But the years we were really good and had a legit shot at the Final 4, it seemed we had a worst case scenario path layed out for us.

1990 as a 1 seed arguably got the toughest 2-3 that year with Kansas and Duke. Kansas was top 5 most of the year. Duke had played in the Meadowlands in the NCAA's in '86, '88, and '89, making the Final Four each time. Imagine us getting to play a regional in say Madison Square Garden for a 4th time in 5 years?

1994 the 2 most best teams in the country were Arkansas and UNC. We were UNC's 2 seed but avoided having to face them seeing both teams were upset

1995 got sent out to Cali to play the #1 ranked team and eventual champion UCLA. Wake Forest, UMass and Villanova got to stay in the east. A mediocre Oklahoma State team got out of that region.

1996 got a favorable draw and got upset.

1998 as a 2 seed sent to the home state of the most talented team that year UNC to play a road game.

As a 2 seed no doubt 1995 and 1998 got worst case scenarios.
As a 1 seed I would say 1990 got a worst case scenario. Duke easily beat Arkansas and the other Final 4 teams that year had easier regional opponents.
1994 had it played out would have been to. 1996 was favorable.

It's not like we had 8 strong Final Four worthy teams that time period and it played out badly for us half the time. It played out badly for us 3 of the 5 times and it was intended to be 4 out of 5. Was the perception during that time that we got "screwed"? That our paths were unusually hard? The reason I mention this is because when people talk about us being a Blue Blood and not making as many Final Fours as the real Blue Bloods it seems we had a decade of initiation placed on us when the brackets came out.

Even after 1999, the worst case scenario region placement seemed to continue to play out (2 seed in Maryland's region in 2002, Texas in San Antonio in 2003, UNC in 2005).

Reaction Score
Wow I can barely remember our bracket from 2014. I can not contribute. You guys are good and/or I've become an old fart.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
;) In 1999, the heavy favorite Duke stood in our way.

The UNC game in their "home" court was definitely an issue, I don't remember feeling that way about UCLA. I thought we had a good draw the year we lost to FL because we owned BC but that may be after the upsets you mentioned.
In 1990 we were just so amazed and happy to be a #1 seed I don't think there was a lot of complaining. Being opposite of UNLV was fortunate. We could have beat Duke but it made sense that we were the last #1 seed because we considered a Cinderella. UNLV was on another level

Reaction Score
;) In 1999, the heavy favorite Duke stood in our way.

The UNC game in their "home" court was definitely an issue, I don't remember feeling that way about UCLA. I thought we had a good draw the year we lost to FL because we owned BC but that may be after the upsets you mentioned.
In 1990 we were just so amazed and happy to be a #1 seed I don't think there was a lot of complaining. Being opposite of UNLV was fortunate. We could have beat Duke but it made sense that we were the last #1 seed because we considered a Cinderella. UNLV was on another level

Yeah, I don't remember being mad about anything up until 1998 and UNC in Carolina. But there are plenty of other teams that can raise that complaint about UNC or Duke over the years.

In 1995, Maryland was widely regarded as the toughest 3 and was Vitale's darling. But Nova had recently smoked us twice so I didn't feel there was much room for complaint. I also remember thinking at the time that UCLA was a paper tiger (which was wrong, but I don't think I was the only one who felt that way).

And you have to remember that we kicked everything off in 1990 with 2 games at the Civic Center. So that was kind of nice. I think Cal's coach is still complaining about that one.

To answer the OP's initial question I don't remember the fanbase having any general perception of the NCAA trying to screw us, primarily because...they weren't. That perception came when they undoubtedly did begin trying to screw us at the beginning of this decade. But it's all good...they now know what happens when they ban us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom