UConn / Big East | The Boneyard

UConn / Big East

Reaction Score
I have a quick question since re. potential relocation of UConn to another conference (not that I'm advocating or predicting it).

I was under the impression that when we joined the Big East there was some kind of caveat that we couldn't leave for another P5 conference for some number of years. Is that true or am I misremembering the agreement? I know money talks and all that, I'm just too old to remember the details and was curious.

There are a lot of threads saying we should do this or do that, but I was thinking sans a payout our hands were tied anyway.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I have a quick question since re. potential relocation of UConn to another conference (not that I'm advocating or predicting it).

I was under the impression that when we joined the Big East there was some kind of caveat that we couldn't leave for another P5 conference for some number of years. Is that true or am I misremembering the agreement? I know money talks and all that, I'm just too old to remember the details and was curious.

There are a lot of threads saying we should do this or do that, but I was thinking sans a payout our hands were tied anyway.
I believe the deal stipulates that we weren't allowed to talk to another league until we officially joined the Big East, and that if we left within the first X years we'd have to pay $50million exit fee. After that it was $30 mil? I can't remember the details but if the B1G or ACC came calling in their current form we'd take the offer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I believe the deal stipulates that we weren't allowed to talk to another league until we officially joined the Big East, and that if we left within the first X years we'd have to pay $50million exit fee. After that it was $30 mil? I can't remember the details but if the B1G or ACC came calling in their current form we'd take the offer.

I don't know the numbers but even $30m-$50m is less than two years of increased revenue of going to one of the soon to be consolidated power conferences. You take that deal every time.

TJT

Reaction Score
I posted it in one of the many other realignment threads. Here it is again:

As part of the contract with the Big East, UConn agreed not to seek football membership at the time in any Power Five conference and to pay a $30 million exit fee if it leaves the Big East during its first six years of membership. The fee would eventually drop with time to $15 (years 7-9) and later $10 million (10+years).

This is on top the $17M that its cost to recently leave the AAC and the $3.5M it cost to join the Big East.

Reaction Score
I posted it in one of the many other realignment threads. Here it is again:

As part of the contract with the Big East, UConn agreed not to seek football membership at the time in any Power Five conference and to pay a $30 million exit fee if it leaves the Big East during its first six years of membership. The fee would eventually drop with time to $15 (years 7-9) and later $10 million (10+years).

This is on top the $17M that its cost to recently leave the AAC and the $3.5M it cost to join the Big East.

Actual language here: https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/6172200/UConn-Big-East-contract.pdf

See 1b and 2d specifically.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
But what if they go to a P4 conference?

Reaction Score
question is does this change UConn fans view of big East join if this AAC Big 12 thing happens. I’m a bit less excited now that I’m seeing how it can turn out

Reaction Score
question is does this change UConn fans view of big East join if this AAC Big 12 thing happens. I’m a bit less excited now that I’m seeing how it can turn out
No. It doesn’t make sense to make a league of the existing AAC and remaining B12. Just make a new conference of the best names. There is a great opportunity if someone has the initiative to put together a good conference worth watching.

West:
Baylor
Texas Tech
Ok St
BYU
Boise St
Houston
Colorado St

East:
KU
ISU
UConn
Cincy
UCF
USF
WVU

Other options:
Temple
SMU
KSU
Memphis

Why have ECU, Tulane, Tulsa etc? There is just no point in dumbing down an essentially new league. Get big schools with big alumni bases.

Reaction Score
No. It doesn’t make sense to make a league of the existing AAC and remaining B12. Just make a new conference of the best names. There is a great opportunity if someone has the initiative to put together a good conference worth watching.

West:
Baylor
Texas Tech
Ok St
BYU
Boise St
Houston
Colorado St

East:
KU
ISU
UConn
Cincy
UCF
USF
WVU

Other options:
Temple
SMU
KSU
Memphis

Why have ECU, Tulane, Tulsa etc? There is just no point in dumbing down an essentially new league. Get big schools with big alumni bases.
I’d rather stay in the Big East than play in that conference.

Reaction Score
I’d rather stay in the Big East than play in that conference.
I might too, but if you want football to thrive, you have took at the whole picture. My only fear is large superconferences will result in less available games for independents. Regardless, that’s a much better conference than a merger would result in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

West:
Baylor
Texas Tech
Ok St
BYU
Boise St
Houston
Colorado St

East:
KU
ISU
UConn
Cincy
UCF
USF
WVU

Other options:
Temple
SMU
KSU
Memphis

Pass

Reaction Score
Well, it looks as if AAC has plans to give XII the killshot now..?

I'd still think Kansas goes B1G/ WVU goes ACC, 6 go to AAC..?

Reaction Score
Well, it looks as if AAC has plans to give XII the killshot now..?

I'd still think Kansas goes B1G/ WVU goes ACC, 6 go to AAC..?

The Hillbillies aren't going to the ACC because it make NO financial sense for the ACC to add them. In their XII incarnation they've been a middle of the pack football team & their State population is small. They don't have a national fanbase of any substance when compared to other major players. AND, most importantly, they don't have the AD leadership that they had when applying to join the XII. There is also no desperation on the part of the ACC to expand.

Reaction Score
The Hillbillies aren't going to the ACC because it make NO financial sense for the ACC to add them. In their XII incarnation they've been a middle of the pack football team & their State population is small. They don't have a national fanbase of any substance when compared to other major players. AND, most importantly, they don't have the AD leadership that they had when applying to join the XII. There is also no desperation on the part of the ACC to expand.
Sounds like your monitoring this pretty well

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom