UConn Big East success and context | The Boneyard

UConn Big East success and context

Reaction Score
The talking heads have been at it all season long with how UConn hasn't accomplished things for so long in the Big East. The new one is how is it possible UConn hasn't won the Big East tournament since 2011?

Everyone in media is singing our praises and have us as the best team in the country but I've yet to see any of them provide any context surrounding UConn not accomplishing a regular season title or a Big East tournament title in so long. Did they all forget or simply not know UConn was in the AAC for 7 seasons or is their objective to simply portray UConn as being unsuccessful in the Big East despite winning multiple national championships in that timeframe?

It's a great conference that's always been difficult to win but when you provide context the drought really isn't all that crazy.

Reaction Score
The talking heads have been at it all season long with how UConn hasn't accomplished things for so long in the Big East. The new one is how is it possible UConn hasn't won the Big East tournament since 2011?

Everyone in media is singing our praises and have us as the best team in the country but I've yet to see any of them provide any context surrounding UConn not accomplishing a regular season title or a Big East tournament title in so long. Did they all forget or simply not know UConn was in the AAC for 7 seasons or is their objective to simply portray UConn as being unsuccessful in the Big East despite winning multiple national championships in that timeframe?

It's a great conference that's always been difficult to win but when you provide context the drought really isn't all that crazy.
It’s the most ridiculous thing. We also haven’t won the Big 10 or the ACC in 15 years either. So stupid.

Reaction Score
Out of the conference for 7 seasons, but also banned from competing once (2013 IIRC).

Reaction Score
and we were banned from post season in 2013, weren't we?

Reaction Score
The road top 25 one and the outright conference champion one were both legitimately interesting and shocking facts. Not winning the tournament in 12 years (even disregarding the AAC one we won in that span) isn't even that crazy a fact, that's like average length of time teams go between winning conference tournaments.

Reaction Score
It’s the most ridiculous thing. We also haven’t won the Big 10 or the ACC in 15 years either. So stupid.
I remind folks of this daily. Especially when they say nova ran this conference…….while we were on hiatus. We left a vacuum. The universe is at ease now for what it’s worth. Regardless of todays outcome we are back at the top of the conference for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
I remind folks of this daily. Especially when they say nova ran this conference…….while we were on hiatus. We left a vacuum. The universe is at ease now for what it’s worth. Regardless of todays outcome we are back at the top of the conference for the foreseeable future.
Yes and No regarding Nova - Nova likely would have ran this conference during that time even if UConn was there. If their success was only in conference, that's one thing - but they won TWO national championships - it was just their time, and they had an all-time great coach. I think it's a dis-service to say they only dominated because UConn wasn't around.

Reaction Score
Butler, Creighton, DePaul, and Xavier have never won a Big East Tournament Championship
Throw Cincy, Miami, ND, Rutgers, USF, Va Tech, and TCU in there too :D

Reaction Score
The road top 25 one and the outright conference champion one were both legitimately interesting and shocking facts. Not winning the tournament in 12 years (even disregarding the AAC one we won in that span) isn't even that crazy a fact, that's like average length of time teams go between winning conference tournaments.
This was the argument to exclude us from blue blood status. For 15 years, aside from the few months when we were making championship runs, we weren't usually relevant in the national -- or even the conference -- picture.

We are undoing that in a big way this year, regardless of how the next 3 weeks goes.

Reaction Score
Yes and No regarding Nova - Nova likely would have ran this conference during that time even if UConn was there. If their success was only in conference, that's one thing - but they won TWO national championships - it was just their time, and they had an all-time great coach. I think it's a dis-service to say they only dominated because UConn wasn't around.
Depends on who our coach was

Reaction Score
Agreed, Nova was loaded for some of those years. I mean, they were so good they redshirted Mikal Bridges and Donte DiVincenzo along with Eric Paschall, Omari Spellman and Phil Booth. They were back in the final 4 just two seasons ago and maybe had a chance at winning the whole thing had Justin Moore not gone down, I still think Kansas would've won though.

Reaction Score
Villanova won one outright and three shared regular season BE championships in 34 years. 4 in 34 years total.

They’ve won seven since the breakup 10 years ago.

Villanova won one BE tournament title in 34 years prior to the breakup.

They’ve won five since the breakup over the past 10 years.

I definitely think Villanova would still have been national champions in 16 and 18, so not taking anything away from those great teams, but it’s not a coincidence that almost all of their real BE success came after the top programs-Uconn, Louisville, Syracuse, and Pitt- left.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom