UConn better not join B12 as bball only | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn better not join B12 as bball only

Reaction Score
I’ve read two articles talking about UConn as a bball only add:

Even if the B12 offered a revenue amount that would compensate for the travel, this would not be worth the cost to fans and would be an insult to the university. All sports or none.
And get kicked out of the BE? Not bloody likely. The rest of UConn's sports would play where?

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would prefer a full invite. If it is a basketball only invitation and they offered five football games a year with bowl access if eligible that would be acceptable.
It's not remotely acceptable. It would be a giveaway of our greatest asset. Full membership or FB only are the only 2 choices. I'm confident AD Dave knows this.

Reaction Score

No football scenarios for UConn, according to Athlon.

Scenario 4: Basketball-Focused Expansion Only
Gonzaga and UConn are potential targets for expansion, which would certainly fill Yormark's plan to be a national conference and add two more basketball powers to its membership.

The wording there is a little ambiguous, "basketball focused only" could and probably has a different meaning than "basketball only".

Reaction Score
It seems like some people think there’s a problem and we aren’t getting in. Most likely, we are in, that’s why there’s been multiple in person meetings and no public comment from Dave Benedict. Yormark wouldn’t travel to Storrs and NYC just to create a ruse. He can do that with a few phone calls and a couple tips to a reporter.

At the same time, until an invite is official and announced by the B12, something could change. It’s also possible that they are proposing something that isn’t worth it for us financially and both sides are negotiating. There’s a lot of factors, but until invites are made public, it seems like we are in a pretty good position based on in person meeting in Storrs and NYC.

Reaction Score
It seems like some people think there’s a problem and we aren’t getting in. Most likely, we are in, that’s why there’s been multiple in person meetings and no public comment from Dave Benedict. Yormark wouldn’t travel to Storrs and NYC just to create a ruse. He can do that with a few phone calls and a couple tips to a reporter.

At the same time, until an invite is official and announced by the B12, something could change. It’s also possible that they are proposing something that isn’t worth it for us financially and both sides are negotiating. There’s a lot of factors, but until invites are made public, it seems like we are in a pretty good position based on in person meeting in Storrs and NYC.
And NYC?

Reaction Score

Thanks. I take that at face value and perhaps indicative of some negotiation. Also that nothing is imminent until the Pac 12 deal is finalized and the four corner schools decide what they want to do. But last week was a short week and the B12 met in Morgantown too. So that meeting w UConn had to be on Memorial Day or the Sunday before. Huh ....

Reaction Score

UConn met with the Big East for a few years before the deal materialized. In that case I think UConn waited for the results of the next AAC TV deal.

I think the negotiations are real, but it’s not a done deal. B12 is vetting its options.

Reaction Score
UConn met with the Big East for a few years before the deal materialized. In that case I think UConn waited for the results of the next AAC TV deal.

I think the negotiations are real, but it’s not a done deal. B12 is vetting its options.
Totally different set of circumstances. UConn couldn’t leave the AAC without knowing the terms of the new contract first. The B12 and UConn are both able to make a deal now if they want to.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
How much revenue would current B12 members be willing to share for BB only schools? Why would we want to join for only a prorated portion of tv contracts?

Reaction Score

Even if the B12 offered a revenue amount that would compensate for the travel, this would not be worth the cost to fans and would be an insult to the university. All sports or none.
That is a non-starter.

Without the football money, what’s the point of going to big 12?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How much revenue would current B12 members be willing to share for BB only schools? Why would we want to join for only a prorated portion of tv contracts?
BY's believes he can maximize the revenue by selling the football and basketball broadcast rights separately. So basketball only's would receive a share of whatever that contract earns. The football playing schools would not subsidize that from football earnings. That's the plan, apparently.

Reaction Score

If we do that then we are stupid.

Reaction Score
You want the nightmare, "anything that can go bad in CR for Uconn will" scenario that we know so well ? B12 tells Uconn who has a $30mil exit fee to leave the Big East.....you come for hoops only because we're going after Gonzaga, St Johns, Nova, Georgetown as the 4, if you don't.
No one is coming after Georgetown (30 sports, only 60 men's scholarships offered, struggling in FCS, etc.) It's just not a good fit for anyone.

Reaction Score
Mora just made statement he is going nowhere else and he is here to win a national championship. That should be heard loud and clear by the Big 12 members who doubt UConn's commitment to football. Big 12 take all of us!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom