UConn beats Australia, wins World Cup gold..!! | The Boneyard

UConn beats Australia, wins World Cup gold..!!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
USA world cup #2.jpg

Ok, I admit there were non-UConn players who contributed significantly to the USA gold medal winning victory. ;) But, consider the following:

1. Only three players hit a 3 point basket against Australia. Stewie (2), D.T. (2) and Sue (2). The rest of the team went 0-7.
2. Most assists vs the Aussies, Sue Bird at 5. (Stewie 2nd at 4)
3. Most rebounds = Stewie with 8. (Sue tied for 2nd with 4..!!) :D
4. Best free throw shooter = Tina Charles at 4-4 (100%) and Diana, who went 7-8. (87.5%)
5. Starting line up = 4 Huskies and someone from a Texas school..:rolleyes:
6. MVP of the tournament = Stewie..!! :)

Truthfully, a great team effort with USA opening up a 10-0 lead and never looking back. Up 5 after one period, 12 at the half and 27 points at the end of the 3rd period. Australia's great center Liz Cambage was held to only 7 points & her team shot 4-22 from three-point range. That's 18%..!!

Imagine if Maya had been there..!! :cool:

Go USA..!!

Reaction Score
David, great perspectives with all those statistics. Looking back since Geno Auriemma and Chris Daley came to UConn we are so fortunate to have been in such an unbelievable ride!!! All the future HOF players who passed by UConn and we have seen them all.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There may be some who take umbrage at your use of Team "UCONN" instead of Team USA... But it doesn't bother me in the least - I get the point you are making! Great stuff as always. A couple of thoughts (I bet @MilfordHusky and @UConnCat could give better observations as they were there in person)...

All the players on the team did what they needed to do. There were starters/stars, key reserves off the bench, and then the backup reserves who played a lot more in blowouts than in the medal rounds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom