UConn bball - another first? | The Boneyard

UConn bball - another first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everybody knows that UConn is the first school in NCAA history to have both their men's and women's teams win the season championship the same year, namely 2004. So far, they're the only school to have done this.

By securing the services of Andre Drummond for the 2011-2012 season, UConn is very likely also to be the first school to have both men's and women's #1 incoming freshmen, Drummond and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, the consensus #1 high school girls' basketball player last year out of Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, California. Led by Mosqueda-Lewis, a deadly 3-point shooter with a silky smooth shot release, Mater Dei is the back-to-back girls high school national champion.

I'm not 100% sure of this claim (maybe Duke did it before), but I'll face the woodchipper like a man if I'm wrong.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i don't think Duke has ever gotten the #1 women's recruit. Liz williams was #1 on some lists, but Duke men don't have the #1 recruit.

Reaction Score
B. Hunter was the number #1 when she went to Duke...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is Austin Rivers the #1 on any list? He was the HS NPOY on some lists.

Reaction Score
i don't think Duke has ever gotten the #1 women's recruit. Liz williams was #1 on some lists, but Duke men don't have the #1 recruit.

Right, Eric, but we have to cover every year since 1983 in this particular matter. I'd assume the Duke men might have gotten a #1 frosh somewhere along the line. If so, you'd then have to look at the girls' #1 player that year and see where she went to college.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
B. Hunter was the number #1 when she went to Duke...
i forgot about her since she ended up at UCONN. that is still such a sad story. so much potential.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Right, Eric, but we have to cover every year since 1983 in this particular matter. I'd assume the Duke men might have gotten a #1 frosh somewhere along the line. If so, you'd then have to look at the girls' #1 player that year and see where she went to college.
I think Duke may have had the #1 men's recruit more often than any other school over that span.

Reaction Score
It is not as important to have the #1 player on the men's side. On the women's side, we can probaby count the number of #1 recruits who did not win a national championship on one hand.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It is not as important to have the #1 player on the men's side. On the women's side, we can probaby count the number of #1 recruits who did not win a national championship on one hand.
1 finger--Ann--unless we count the injured transfer Brit. Results on Kaleena and Breanna are pending, but I think multiple NCs are quite possible.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ann won championships with Diana during Ann's freshmen and sophomore seasons. There are a number of #1 players that did not win titles in the senior year, Maya among them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ann won championships with Diana during Ann's freshmen and sophomore seasons. There are a number of #1 players that did not win titles in the senior year, Maya among them.
Oops. Ann won twice, of course. Brit did not.

I was thinking in terms of #1 recruits at UConn only. There are several non-UConn #1 recruits nationally who did nto win a NCAA title. Kara Lawson would be one.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Oops. Ann won twice, of course. Brit did not.

I was thinking in terms of #1 recruits at UConn only. There are several non-UConn #1 recruits nationally who did nto win a NCAA title. Kara Lawson would be one.
Kara Lawson was ranked #15 per blue star. i'm not sure what other services existed in 1999. Gwen Jackson was the highest tennessee recruit that year at #1. Nina Smith and Nicole Kazmarski were the top 2 recruits (one went to Wisconsin and one to UCLA). Ashley Robinson was #1 per blue star in 2000 (Diana was #2) and Ashely never won a NCAA championship...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kara Lawson was ranked #15 per blue star. i'm not sure what other services existed in 1999. Gwen Jackson was the highest tennessee recruit that year at #1. Nina Smith and Nicole Kazmarski were the top 2 recruits (one went to Wisconsin and one to UCLA). Ashley Robinson was #1 per blue star in 2000 (Diana was #2) and Ashely never won a NCAA championship...
I'm not sure about the rankings, but Kara was the 1999 high school Naismith winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom