UConn/Baylor Game Cancelled | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn/Baylor Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I see that Lville is doing games with teams close to them which probably makes the covid issues easier. There are also different rules from state to state. It would be great if we could get a BC, BU, Quin.., or even a Marist game since they would probably be the easiest with covid rules.

Reaction Score
It would be great if we could get a BC, BU, Quin.., or even a Marist game since they would probably be the easiest with covid rules.
Those teams are no better than anyone in the BigEast. Playing them has little value.

Also the Patriot League (of which BU is a member) is not playing non-conference games.

Reaction Score
-Sorry, guys.

It's getting closer and closer to another shut down of the madness in March/April. Be safe.

Hoping your team can re-do travel and get some rest on their own.

No worries, my friend. Be safe and hoping that everyone attached to the Baylor program and surrounding area stays safe.

Reaction Score
Those teams are no better than anyone in the BigEast. Playing them has little value.

Also the Patriot League (of which BU is a member) is not playing non-conference games.
I don't disagree with you but they would at least be games. If the covid rules are not going to allow for the ranked OOC games that everyone wants, these games could atleast break up practice a bit....

Reaction Score
There shouldn't have been a season this year. Basketball and College Sports in general are a privilege and not a necessity. Academics are what really matters. I would miss watching both UConn teams and North Carolina Men but they would be there for next year. The country was warned about what would happen during the normal Flue season
[ ]
Everyone please be safe and and God Bless You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Right now UConn's best win is DePaul. That ain't gonna be enough to get a #1 seed. Need a win over SC or wins over other quality opponents.
And in these times this should be the priority? A little compassion and realization UConn will do well no matter where they are seeded goes a long way. That if a tournament is played. Just saying...

Reaction Score
My understanding it is. My daughter's school, UIW, is supposed to be a host. Hopefully it's on because my mom has been dying to go to the final four. It's always around her birthday and with it being in San Antonio, us being there at that time, it's a perfect match!

Cool. I grew up in San Antonio. Most of my family (both sisters) are still there and my parents live in New Braunfels. It would be awesome to go!

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Game has been cancelled. Kim Mulkey has tested positive and the team activities are restricted.
Had she done what she was supposed to, the game would still be on. I spent Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's with the same 2 people, my wife and son. We felt that family gatherings where folks take off masks to eat was not safe. She's the leader of that team, act like it.

Reaction Score
Just a little more information to add to the pot. From what we have learned from my daughter (a nurse working on a post cardiac/stroke monitoring ward), they operate as follows in determining if patients and staff have been exposed/need to go into isolation. A positive quick test indicates that you have COVID-19. A negative quick test is considered to be inconclusive. The quick test needs to be followed up with the PCR test to verify you are COVID free. Until the PCR results are available the patients are considered to be infected if they are showing signs/symptoms of COVID. Of course, these are compromised patients and healthcare providers, so they are being conservative in their operations.

It is possible that Coach Mulkey had negative quick test results and it was not until she got PCR results that she discovered she had COVID

Reaction Score
There shouldn't have been a season this year. Basketball and College Sports in general are a privilege and not a necessity. Academics are what really matters. I would miss watching both UConn teams and North Carolina Men but they would be there for next year. The country was warned about what would happen during the normal Flue season
[ ]
Everyone please be safe and and God Bless You.
What rock have you been hiding under for the last fifty years? You profess the same perspective that the NCAA uses to justify their draconian control over college sports. Certain college sports have ceased to become a privelege once student athletes have had the opportunity of athletic careers become available to them. During the same period the value of degrees has declined.

In contrast the level of opportunities for women to play professionally has increase to the point where even second tier players get that opportunity. It has transitioned from a means to get an academic degree to facilitate once professional opportunities in a chose field, to being a professional opportunity in itself. Athletics as a means of getting a degree has become secondary to the hope of playing professionally to may girls early on. This is no different than for those that chose the Arts in which the odds of making a living are far less than those that chose basketball.

Their experience on a college team actuall is more important to them than the parallel of those in college for a degree. Their opportunity and enfry level salary are dictated by what they show in college. When you deny a player the opportunity to showcase themselves along with the opportunity to increase their skills against competition, you impact their future vocational success. What they show on the court is equivalent to a degree.

Maintaining the perspective that college athletics are nothing but a priveledge or extracarricular activity, ignores the changed vocational landscape.

I am not discounting the need or value of academics, but the lack of demand for degree's which is evident by stufent loan defaults. A College education and degree used to be a real challenge, but the transition that higher education made from quality to numbers turned colleges into a mass production line through lowering academic standards. To justify and facilitate the increased enrollments academic standards have been lowered. The higher learning institutions have become focused on making money rather than serving the needs of the communitiy. More students means more money and exapanded departments. We have students getting degrees who would have had trouble getting out of high school in the fifties and earlier.

I had hoped that someone would take the NCAA to court under the premise that not allowing them a full four years of competition impacted their earning capacity. And one main point of higher education is to prepare students for their chosen vocations. They are still operating under the premise that athletics is only a means for some students to get an academic education and a degree rather than preperation for a vocational choice. What organization would limit a student from completing four years of academics if they became sick or were no longer allowed to attend classes. Yet the NCAA will consider a fraction of a seasson to count as a full season. They are hypocrites in that they do not consider a students time on a team as preperation for a moneymaking vocation while they draw in millions from them while they are still learning student athletes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't believe with these large gaps between games, that an AD can't find replacement teams to fill the gaps.
Just pick up the darn phone and find teams that you can play. It can't be that hard.
These young ladies are sacrificing a lot and should be playing basketball.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Come on Geno give Marisa a call, tell her you're willing to travel and play the Terrier's in Boston on Thursday.
An excellent idea Serge!! In his video chat yesterday, Geno admitted to having a change of heart in scheduling games at this time. He said with all of the cancellations every day, including our Baylor game tomorrow, he’s willing to play just about anyone to give his girls a game, even a cupcake.

I’m NOT suggesting that Boston University is a cupcake, but we all know they are nowhere near being in UConn’s zip code. Marissa would probably go out of her way to play us if she could. Our girls would welcome that or any other game. They’re probably all suffering from cabin fever, and need to get out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't believe with these large gaps between games, that an AD can't find replacement teams to fill the gaps.
Just pick up the darn phone and find teams that you can play. It can't be that hard.
Sure it can. Do you really think there are that many teams out there just waiting to get a UCONN beat down? Tom Garrick took one for the team and probably to keep peace in his family. Someone suggested Boston University and I suppose Marisa could/would do the same. Also keep in mind there is no fans=no gate revenue, the risk restrictions of traveling in this COVID era, and the rate that games are getting cancelled. I'm actually surprise they have play this many games thus far.

Reaction Score
I'm so disappointed to read many of these responses. I'm a UCONN fan through and through and I will say that when I turned on the TV for that first game, I was SO HAPPY. It gave me a sense of happiness that I hadn't felt in quite awhile and I was so excited there would be a season. Regardless of that though, I think this vitriol against Kim is just unreal. Could she have done things differently? Of course she could have. I know that even in my job, I've struggled VERY HARD to remain focused and produce high quality work. She is human just like all of us. Our collective mental capacity is diminished right now for a number of reasons. If I recall, Geno gave the team the choice about whether to go home or not and they chose to stay on campus. Maybe Kim did the same thing - I don't know. Maybe some of her players were really struggling for one reason or another, so it was going to be better for them AS PEOPLE to go home. Save the judgment for people who do actual, hurtful things to cause harm to others, not a fricken college basketball coach who got COVID.

Reaction Score
Because it's not high school athletics, and beyond simply finding a game there are logistics that have to be worked out and how much effort that takes depends on who when and where.

Reaction Score
-Sorry, guys.

It's getting closer and closer to another shut down of the madness in March/April. Be safe.

Hoping your team can re-do travel and get some rest on their own.
If the Baylor team stays

Reaction Score
Sure it can. Do you really think there are that many teams out there just waiting to get a UCONN beat down? Tom Garrick took one for the team and probably to keep peace in his family. Someone suggested Boston University and I suppose Marisa could/would do the same. Also keep in mind there is no fans=no gate revenue, the risk restrictions of traveling in this COVID era, and the rate that games are getting cancelled. I'm actually surprise they have play this many games thus far.
Great point.

The hoops (yup pun intended) that some teams are going through just to play is unreal. It's not as simple as an AD picking up a phone to make a call. The Big East is struggling as a league itself with all of their pauses based on an article I read yesterday.

Some teams aren't even playing at home. Stanford's been a road team for most of the season. It's not going to be easy for any program with the number of games that have been postponed/cancelled. I don't understand how some are thinking scheduling games is that easy, especially this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
An excellent idea Serge!! In his video chat yesterday, Geno admitted to having a change of heart in scheduling games at this time. He said with all of the cancellations every day, including our Baylor game tomorrow, he’s willing to play just about anyone to give his girls a game, even a cupcake.

I’m NOT suggesting that Boston University is a cupcake, but we all know they are nowhere near being in UConn’s zip code. Marissa would probably go out of her way to play us if she could. Our girls would welcome that or any other game. They’re probably all suffering from cabin fever, and need to get out.
Boston University would be a cupcake or glorified scrimmage for UCONN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There'd be better competition against the practice players.

Point is moot: Patriot league not playing non-conference games.
Aw.... I forgot BU move into the Patriot League out of the America East.

Reaction Score
Duke canceled their entire season. NC St just canceled their next two games. If their ACC opponents ( who lost games) want to play, it can be arranged, Travel logistics can't be that hard. If we are afraid of getting Covid, then cancel the entire season and let these players go home.

Reaction Score
Duke canceled their entire season. NC St just canceled their next two games. If their ACC opponents ( who lost games) want to play, it can be arranged, Travel logistics can't be that hard. If we are afraid of getting Covid, then cancel the entire season and let these players go home.
The world of scheduling games isn't as simple as you envision it. Geno said he and Jeff Walz have been talking about trying to reschedule their game, and so far have been unable to get it done. Do you think it's because UConn couldn't find hotel rooms in Louisville, or is there maybe more to putting together these games behind the scenes that you or most people will never appreciate because we rarely get a peek behind the curtain? Geno went through what all is involved during his press conference yesterday. It's travel logistics, it's getting TV/media lined up, it's the Covid requirements being met and apparently there's an administrative piece involving the NCAA that goes with that, there's the fact that even though you have a gap in your schedule, the league could ultimately overrule you and decide that they will fill that gap with a conference game, and so on.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You say it can't be that hard, I say if it were easy it would have been done already. You say if "we" are afraid of getting COVID cancel the season? Sounds about right to me but I think you find fault in that decision also.

Reaction Score
I doubt it. UConn will have to hope they can just get through their conference schedule, which will take precedence over any OOC games.
USF just had a game cancelled for SAT and have nothing until next week. I’m sure Jose and Geno would play if they could make it work. USF only lost to Baylor by a few.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the immortal words of Ricky Watters "For who for what?"
With all the COVID related cancellations going on across the country I'm seriously appalled at the people that think UCONN's WBB priority right now should be finding another game.
Why! Any game right now creates additional risk of COVID exposure to the team and the staff.
Shouldn't we be caring more about the team and staff as human beings than we do about then entertaining us? Stay safe everyone, protect yourselves and your loved ones. This too will pass, soon I hope.
.......End of rant........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak