UConn/Baylor Game Cancelled | The Boneyard

UConn/Baylor Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Game has been cancelled. Kim Mulkey has tested positive and the team activities are restricted.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hopefully Kim and everyone at Baylor will be OK. Unfortunately, these cancellations will happen throughout this season, assuming we get through the season.

It’s worth noting that, unlike UConn, Kim sent everyone home for Christmas.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Oh No Facepalm GIF

AWWWWWW CRAP!!!!

Hope Kim gets well soon. Still young enough not to be in that endangered COVID age group but this is a weird disease. Terrible news for the players, of course.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Game has been cancelled. Kim Mulkey has tested positive and the team activities are restricted.

I told you....don't look past the next game. This is horrible. I was really looking forward to this game. :(
The Huskies' (6-0, 5-0 BIG EAST) next scheduled game is vs. Providence (4-6, 2-3) this Saturday at 1 p.m. in Gampel Pavilion.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
Wait. She was never near the team since her original contact tracing absence after her possible 12/25 exposure. Her statement says she continued her quarantine. Why cancel the game? Am I missing something? I just went from sad to a bit annoyed. The players (and fans) deserve to have this game go on with or without Kim's direct presence. Sure it's high profile, but it's just an out of conference game, nothing on the line and no known transmission risk above background we all live with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe they can bubble the WBB Final Four at Mohegan Sun and play there, Storrs, Hartford, U. Hartford, etc.

I know, ridiculous wishful thinking...

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Wait. She was never near the team since her original contact tracing absence and continued her quarantine. Why cancel the game? Am I missing something? I just went from sad to a bit annoyed. The players deserve to have this game go on with or without Kim's direct presence.
Kim came back to Baylor yesterday, and tested positive after being around a couple of the players. Baylor wanted this game just as much as UConn did. They would have played with Assist Coach's if it was possible.

Reaction Score
First and foremost I hope Kim Mulkey recovers without any major complications and her family and the entire Baylor women’s basketball program stays safe and healthy. Hope no more positive tests come up.

Secondly, I hope UConn can find a decent replacement game. Idk every team’s schedule, but I imagine at least one ranked team has to have room to fit in UConn (though I guess that would require the desire to play the Huskies, too).

We all knew this season would be filled with this kind of thing—games being cancelled with little notice due to COVID-19–but the most important thing this season is that everyone does their best to stay healthy and COVID free. As the people at my job like to say: “COVID free is the way to be!”

psconn

Reaction Score
Kim came back to Baylor yesterday, and tested positive after being around a couple of the players. Baylor wanted this game just as much as UConn did. They would have played with Assist Coach's if it was possible.
OK, if true, but that isn't what her statement says:
"On December 25, I was exposed to COVID-19 by a family member who tested positive. I immediately self-quarantined and did not re-join the team when our staff and players came back from our holiday break on December 28. I produced three negative tests leading up to our game at TCU, Jan. 2. However, I decided that it was important to continue quarantining in case the virus took time to come to fruition. I tested positive yesterday (Jan. 4) and will now isolate. If I have no symptoms, I will re-join the program on January 15."

Where does she say she had contact with the team? I'm confused.

Reaction Score
If you’re serious about playing basketball this season, you pretty much have to be in a bubble. The risk of getting the virus is so much greater if the players and coaches go home for the holidays. Ugh!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"On December 25, I was exposed to COVID-19 by a family member who tested positive. I immediately self-quarantined and did not re-join the team when our staff and players came back from our holiday break on December 28. I produced three negative tests leading up to our game at TCU, Jan. 2. However, I decided that it was important to continue quarantining in case the virus took time to come to fruition. I tested positive yesterday (Jan. 4) and will now isolate. If I have no symptoms, I will re-join the program on January 15."
According to this, Kim followed CDC guidelines for quarantine which is 7-10 days subject to a negative test at the end of the quarantine. Either Kim is omitting something or the CDC guidelines are crap.

You may recall the original CDC quarantine guidelines were 14 days before they were reduced about a month ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm hoping UCONN will take a flight to Louisville. While games getting cancelled is unfortunate, this is a disaster for seeding, big game tests, and readiness to win it all. While the BE is a step-up from the American, it's nothing like any P5 conference. We need quality games, BAD.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
During the Louisville/UT-Martin TV telecast, Pam Ward mentioned that Coach Walz is looking for an opponent for Thursday. Maybe UCONN/Louisville will happen...and if not Thursday, maybe Friday??

Just throwing out ideas but I like to see the top teams take on each other.

Reaction Score

Where does she say she had contact with the team? I'm confused.
In this article it says Kim “returned to team activities on Monday”. This means that the rest of the team needs to quarantine and/or produce multiple negative results depending on what the rules are for possible exposure to COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom