UConn basketball out of conference dominance | The Boneyard

UConn basketball out of conference dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn went 17-0 in out of conference games and won by a combined 412 points in those games with every single win by double figures. That's hard for me to wrap my head around and makes me wonder if anyone else in modern college basketball has ever dominated their out of conference like this. I know plenty of other champions have gone undefeated out of conference but the way we dominated every opponent is rare. The only other teams that come to mind are Nova in 2017-2018 and Baylor in 2020-2021.

Reaction Score
What about if we throw out this stat:

The last 2 times UConn advanced to the F4 out of the BE (2011 and 2023), they went a combined 35-0 out of conference. Inside the BE they were 22-16.

Commentators can't look at these numbers and tout how hard the BE is, or how difficult it is for college kids to maintain intensity throughout the season.

This isn't a fluke.

These numbers are really about a style of play and reffing.

It can't even be a secret anymore since Hurley made reference to reffing obliquely in his press conferences, but Kemba and Jeremy Lamb in that interview during the game really talked about the less than optimal reffing in BE games. Simultaneously they said it's good preparation and it toughens up a team, but if the opposition is allowed to neutralize the most talented players, not only does it make for a blah brand of basketball, but it allows lesser teams to beat better teams more often.

Is it a good thing to be toughened up at the expense of better seeding for the tournament?

Reaction Score

The last 2 times UConn advanced to the F4 out of the BE (2011 and 2023), they went a combined 35-0 out of conference. Inside the BE they were 22-16.

Commentators can't look at these numbers and tout how hard the BE is, or how difficult it is for college kids to maintain intensity throughout the season.

This isn't a fluke.

It can't even be a secret anymore since Hurley made reference to reffing obliquely in his press conferences, but Kemba and Jeremy Lamb in that interview during the game really talked about the less than optimal reffing in BE games. Simultaneously they said it's good preparation and it toughens up a team, but if the opposition is allowed to neutralize the most talented players, not only does it make for a blah brand of basketball, but it allows lesser teams to beat better teams more often.

Is it a good thing to be toughened up at the expense of better seeding for the tournament?
That’s why I want a very strong and deep BE. Conference losses mean little and get well coached talented & balanced teams ready for what matters most.

Reaction Score
That’s why I want a very strong and deep BE. Conference losses mean little and get well coached talented & balanced teams ready for what matters most.
It's interesting you say that. I think winning the BE regular season is valuable and important and winning the BE tournament title is valuable and important as well. But winning the National Championship is 100 times more important for legacy. Winning the conference regular season and/or conference tournament is remembered for the most part among fans and media and anyone else in that conference's circles but not so much nationally. The 2011 BET is exception as everyone remembers the 5 wins in 5 nights and Kemba's legend starting with that.

I have seen conference tournament champions who are celebrating in jubilation and then the next week leave in disappointment and/or crying in sadness when they get upset in the NCAAT all too many times (Marquette this year, Villanova in 1995). It's why, even though I would love for UConn to win the BET, I always celebrate with caution when they do knowing how quickly that jubilation can be turned upside down in a week or two.

Reaction Score
A lot of similarities to 2009 UNC. They started a lot more highly ranked and didn't have as deep a swoon. But they also destroyed everyone out of conference, then stumbled at the start of conference play (0-2), lost in the conference tournament semis, and went back to crushing people in the NCAAs.

Plus they also had an athletic freak like Andre (Danny Green) who made you think 'who on earth is that guy'.

Reaction Score
It's interesting you say that. I think winning the BE regular season is valuable and important and winning the BE tournament title is valuable and important as well. But winning the National Championship is 100 times more important for legacy. Winning the conference regular season and/or conference tournament is remembered for the most part among fans and media and anyone else in that conference's circles but not so much nationally. The 2011 BET is exception as everyone remembers the 5 wins in 5 nights and Kemba's legend starting with that.

I have seen conference tournament champions who are celebrating in jubilation and then the next week leave in disappointment and/or crying in sadness when they get upset in the NCAAT all too many times (Marquette this year, Villanova in 1995). It's why, even though I would love for UConn to win the BET, I always celebrate with caution when they do knowing how quickly that jubilation can be turned upside down in a week or two.
It's obviously a big thing, and we want a complete set, but I can speak for myself that this year I was looking past the BET.

Reaction Score
Looks like FS ran away with his tail between his legs - pretty much posts on the football board now. Last post here was on March 17th! BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
That was the day of the Iona game. He is the definition of a troll.

Not sure what his problem is with the men's basketball program but If he ever posts on here again we need to let him have it. You can't be a complete negative Nancy spewing all kinds of bull crap and then disappear when things play out completely differently than your doomsday scenarios. He can go root for BCU or Syracuse for all I care. ---- him.

Reaction Score

Exactly. Programs and coaches are respected for advancing past sweet 16’s more than conference victories.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Nice post @upstater

Kemba's played a lot of ball in his life, starting on Harlem playgrounds...seen it all. In that interview, he chuckled and said something like, "They called zero fouls in the BE..." comparing them to football games.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

This isn't a fluke.

It was not a secret that the BE was typically a conference that allowed players to get away with more pushing and shoving during conference play than other conferences. In this tournament run it certainly helped UConn against San Diego State.

The conference often had the most diverse playing styles which helped teams prepare for the tournament.

Nova won as a one and two seed and we won as a one, two, three and four so the argument BE teams are getting penalized in seeding because of style of play and reffing doesn’t add up particularly considering our worst seeding was while we were in the AAC.

Reaction Score

Not sure what his problem is with the men's basketball program but If he ever posts on here again we need to let him have it. You can't be a complete negative Nancy spewing all kinds of bull crap and then disappear when things play out completely differently than your doomsday scenarios. He can go root for BCU or Syracuse for all I care. ---- him.
The guy has been doing this here for many many years. Appears when there's trouble, disappears when we are winning. The best way to deal with trolls (yes he is a long-time troll) is IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE! Like the mischievous puppy, behaving poorly is the only surefire way to get attention and that is all that matters to trolls. They'd rather be hated then ignored!

Reaction Score
The guy is Mr. Negativity defined. I remember both of us were the first to call for Ollie's head but he was way to quick to call for Hurley's head when we are making the tournament. He has no patience and isn't a true fan.

Reaction Score
It was not a secret that the BE was typically a conference that allowed players to get away with more pushing and shoving during conference play than other conferences. In this tournament run it certainly helped UConn against San Diego State.

The conference often had the most diverse playing styles which helped teams prepare for the tournament.

Nova won as a one and two seed and we won as a one, two, three and four so the argument BE teams are getting penalized in seeding because of style of play and reffing doesn’t add up particularly considering our worst seeding was while we were in the AAC.
I mean taking a lot of losses creates worse seeding.

35-0 and 22-16 doesn't lie.

We were a 4 seed this year. What would we have been in the SEC?

ctchamps

Reaction Score

He legitimately supports mens basketball but is a much bigger UConn football fan. He hates that football is a distant third behind mens and womens bb with fan support and that UConn is considered a basketball school.

This forum is like chalk on a blackboard to him. He was this way even before conference realignment occurred. When football tanked and we rejoined the BE leaving the football program on an island I'm sure it didn't improve things for him.

I think we should just ignore him or make him a meme.

Reaction Score
He legitimately supports mens basketball but is a much bigger UConn football fan. He hates that football is a distant third behind mens and womens bb with fan support and that UConn is considered a basketball school.

This forum is like chalk on a blackboard to him. He was this way even before conference realignment occurred. When football tanked and we rejoined the BE leaving the football program on an island I'm sure it didn't improve things for him.

I think we should just ignore him or make him a meme.
He actively rooted against the 2014 team in the tournament. That's mostly what I remember

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He actively rooted against the 2014 team in the tournament. That's mostly what I remember
He was all over JC after the second NC. His primary purpose is to troll the participants in this forum.

He wants the bb program to succeed but hates the attitude of people who relegate basketball over football. So he comes here to make us uncomfortable and he leaves here feeling he succeeded when he observes our responses to him.

Last edited:

MJ1

Reaction Score
UConn’s non conference record will be challenged this coming year with visit to Seattle to play Gonzaga. Return trip the following year to MSG. Should be fun!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The conference regular season championship and tourney championships are important until you make it to the F4. At that point, they are either going to be an afterthought or a consolation prize, depending on which way the next two games go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom