UCONN basketball in Bridgeport | The Boneyard

UCONN basketball in Bridgeport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was looking at the men's and women's basketball attendance this year. I know the one Bridgeport game that each team plays each year is a big draw, but I didn't realize it had such high attendance. The 9000+ attendance was against Eastern Washington for the men and Temple for the women - not exactly the best competition. Should UCONN try to play more games across the state to really get Connecticut residents invested in the program - especially in Fairfield County?

Reaction Score
1 max in Bridgeport and only for games similar to EWU during Christmas break.

Outside of that no

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I was looking at the men's and women's basketball attendance this year. I know the one Bridgeport game that each team plays each year is a big draw, but I didn't realize it had such high attendance. The 9000+ attendance was against Eastern Washington for the men and Temple for the women - not exactly the best competition. Should UCONN try to play more games across the state to really get Connecticut residents invested in the program - especially in Fairfield County?

Nothing is better than having a game on campus, with a loud student section.

I feel there is some drop-off in student participation in Hartford.

That would be worse, still, in B-Port

In principle, I would agree with your suggestion. But I would concentrate those games around times when the students are not on campus.

Reaction Score
B-port, 1 exhibition, 1 OOC during winter break for a few years. If the attendance numbers stay high, maybe 1 conference game there as long as it isn't against Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, Indiana, or other top conference opponents. See what I did there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd throw in a Mohegan Sun game against similar opponents. It's a perk to those areas of the state and very little cost since those games don't draw well in Hartford. Plus it give us a bargaining chip when we negotiate cost of using Hartford. To the extent possible, I'd love to see more big games in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Mohegan Sun for an early season tournament (that we actually play in) should happen every year. Make sure we have a few old rivals invited every year, Cuse, BCU, Georgetown. Or any top program we can get or have played, UNC, Arizona, etc.

There will never be agreement, but I haven't seen enough difference between Gampel and XL to stop playing big games there. I've been to games against top 5 competition at Gampel and the XL and the environment is comparable. Gampel has the potential to be louder only due to design. But a sold out XL center against Cuse or UNC, when both teams are ranked is electric. Most importantly, it allows more fans to get to see UConn just due to capacity.

CL82

Reaction Score
Mohegan Sun for an early season tournament (that we actually play in) should happen every year. Make sure we have a few old rivals invited every year, Cuse, BCU, Georgetown. Or any top program we can get or have played, UNC, Arizona, etc.

There will never be agreement, but I haven't seen enough difference between Gampel and XL to stop playing big games there. I've been to games against top 5 competition at Gampel and the XL and the environment is comparable. Gampel has the potential to be louder only due to design. But a sold out XL center against Cuse or UNC, when both teams are ranked is electric. Most importantly, it allows more fans to get to see UConn just due to capacity.
I don't disagree, but I like seeing games in other venues. That too makes the team more accessible and may, in the end, generate more fans who will go the Hartford games. Having options will keep the XL crowd from running up the price, which I believe is @$40k a game at XL.

Reaction Score
Since I live in Milford I selfishly would love more games in Bridgeport.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One game per year tops. The novelty factor is why they sold the place out.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I think half the Hartford games should be played in Bridgeport. UConn is the state's team and I think it's important to embrace the entire state. Let's not forget how much $ there is down in the lower left corner of our state. We've got an endowment that needs building and a a new hockey rink on the horizon. Hedge fund managers, here we come!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind a Boston Garden game or Madison Square Garden game especially when the students are off campus. It would be smart to stay relevant in those markets.

Reaction Score
T
One game per year tops. The novelty factor is why they sold the place out.
That's just silly. That was basically an exhibition game and it sold out. Harbor Yard is too small for the people down in Ffld Cty that would go to a real game. Travel to the game is the biggest obstacle for Hartford And Gampel.

Reaction Score

Syracuse...outside of NY...in the home state of another school...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Okay...I'm done. Sounds like a great idea otherwise.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
the minimum of at least one msg game per year is a must

Reaction Score
no. stay in storrs, don't go anywhere else besides beginning of the year tournaments. hartford

Reaction Score
B-port, 1 exhibition, 1 OOC during winter break for a few years. If the attendance numbers stay high, maybe 1 conference game there as long as it isn't against Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, Indiana, or other top conference opponents. See what I did there.
When guys down in Fairfield county take their kids to a live UConn game in Bridgeport ,Hartford or even Storrs won't seem so far away.

Reaction Score
no. stay in storrs, don't go anywhere else besides beginning of the year tournaments. hartford
No. We have had some poor showing in Gampel. Especially during the break. Hartford is important in keeping the school identified with the state as a whole, and allows people like me to make the night about more than just the game.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I think half the Hartford games should be played in Bridgeport. UConn is the state's team and I think it's important to embrace the entire state. Let's not forget how much $ there is down in the lower left corner of our state. We've got an endowment that needs building and a a new hockey rink on the horizon. Hedge fund managers, here we come!

Building a more overtly stronger fan support base, into the New York metro, and media area is a significant step in the right direction....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Compare and contrast the last 2 games in each venue. One venue featured great crowds and 2 wins versus ranked teams. The other had dead crowds, a loss in one game and made Rutgers look tough in the other.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but I like seeing games in other venues. That too makes the team more accessible and may, in the end, generate more fans who will go the Hartford games. Having options will keep the XL crowd from running up the price, which I believe is @$40k a game at XL.

XL season tix this year were $27. Plus your annual donation/bribe. ;) Tix topped out at $30 a few years ago and have come down the last few years.

Reaction Score
Ideally, as I have said before, expand or build a new Gampel on campus for about 12K. All games while school is in session should be on-campus except for 2 marquee games a year (some combination of MSG, Barclays, and TD Garden). For Thanksgiving and semester breaks, have 2 games in Bridgeport to draw in the big Alumni money from Fairfield County (and Weschester Country) and then 4 games in Hartford at the XL. Mohegan is nice; but, it's Eastern CT, too. Thus, I am not sure how many additional eyeballs and/or wallets will pay attendion to the Huskies playing there versus Hartford and Storrs.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
XL season tix this year were $27. Plus your annual donation/bribe. ;) Tix topped out at $30 a few years ago and have come down the last few years.
But I think the cost to the school to use the XL is $40,000 regardless of the ticket price. I'm not sure if we share in concessions. It seems to me that 1/2 empty XL doesn't make us money and it looks bad on TV. The obvious answer is spread those games around a bit and keep the rest in Storrs. That said I've never had access to the actual numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom