UConn Baseball Weekend Series @ Ranked UCF | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Weekend Series @ Ranked UCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
This team is almost amusingly inconsistent. One weekend they'll beat up a ranked Florida team on the road (this has happened twice now, Kenn State was also ranked), the next they'll lose twice to a mediocre team like South Florida.

12-0 7th inning, great effort & finish them off tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Nice to see fellow Norwalker Daniello go yard. It's great that he's worked his way into being the starting SS. When he got to UConn, I thought he would wind up a 2nd baseman or outfielder. It's nice to see he can play the position he's played and loved his entire life at the high D-I level.

Reaction Score
Final score 15 -1. Great game pitched by Kay. A win and sweep tomorrow would be great

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Final score 15 -1. Great game pitched by Kay. A win and sweep tomorrow would be great

Sweeping the #12 team in the country would be sweet! Let's go Huskies!!!

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Let's just play all our games on the road ;).

Reaction Score
Third game, UConn once again gets off to a quick start in the 1st inning with Sundberg scoring on a Bobby Melley sac fly.

Reaction Score
My WHUS2 feed is a little spotty today, but USF tied it up in the bottom of the 1st.

Reaction Score
What is it with the mental lapses on Sunday games and a chance to sweep. Error leads to run, balk and wild pitch leads to run and then the little things on the bases. For example, second inning. leadoff double by McDowell. Daniello then hits one to the wall in left center and McDowell doesn't tag up and get to third with one out. Yahn then flies out to center which would have scored a run. Instead he doesn't score and left stranded at second. These are little things that win games and help you to complete sweeps.
Unfortunately, Tabakman seems to have his struggles as well and now trails 5-1 and being pulled.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Why have the games been on whus2 instead of the original?

Reaction Score
Deroche-Duffin needs to start riding the pine. He doesn't look good up there. No chance against the off speed pitcher. Striking out way too much.

Reaction Score
A big 4 hit day. This team truly is hit or miss. Final UCF 5-1

Reaction Score
Why have the games been on whus2 instead of the original?

Chris Jones mentioned this on the broadcast. One reason is that the times for the games changed at the last minute due to weather. Also, WHUS is in the middle of its Radiothon, and it sounds like they want to give the regular programs a chance to raise money. As a result, it sounds like most if not all of the UConn baseball games this week will end up on WHUS2. The pledge drive concludes next weekend, so that could be as many as five games that are only on the WHUS2 internet feed.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Deroche-Duffin needs to start riding the pine. He doesn't look good up there. No chance against the off speed pitcher. Striking out way too much.

Who do we have off the bench that can give consistent ABs? Buckley?

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/041215aaa.html

Stats:

Game Notes
  • UConn is now 4-4 all-time against UCF
  • Vinny Siena singled to extend his reached-base streak to 26 games
  • The Husky bullpen tossed 4.2 scoreless innings and did not allow a hit
  • UConn lost for the first time this year when scoring in the first inning (12-1)
  • Max McDowell recorded his 14th multi-hit game, second on the squad behind Siena's 16
Up next, the Huskies return to New England for a pair of midweek contests with regional foes. First up is a trip to Fairfield on Tuesday, April 14 at 3:30 p.m. before the Huskies trek to Rhode Island to battle Bryant on Wednesday, April 15 at 3 p.m.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/041215aaa.html

Stats:

Game Notes
  • UConn is now 4-4 all-time against UCF
  • Vinny Siena singled to extend his reached-base streak to 26 games
  • The Husky bullpen tossed 4.2 scoreless innings and did not allow a hit
  • UConn lost for the first time this year when scoring in the first inning (12-1)
  • Max McDowell recorded his 14th multi-hit game, second on the squad behind Siena's 16
Up next, the Huskies return to New England for a pair of midweek contests with regional foes. First up is a trip to Fairfield on Tuesday, April 14 at 3:30 p.m. before the Huskies trek to Rhode Island to battle Bryant on Wednesday, April 15 at 3 p.m.

If your looking for a positive stat from today's game, the 4.2 scoreless innings from the bullpen crew of Trevor Holmes, Max Slade, and in particular Devin Over was certainly good to see. I get nervous over a bullpen where Penders only seems to be willing to pitch either Darras and Ruotolo in tight spots late in games. Over had pretty much disappeared over the last few weeks, and in my mind it is vitally important that he return to pitching effectively so that Penders can throw him back into that late inning close game bullpen mix.

Reaction Score
If your looking for a positive stat from today's game, the 4.2 scoreless innings from the bullpen crew of Trevor Holmes, Max Slade, and in particular Devin Over was certainly good to see. I get nervous over a bullpen where Penders only seems to be willing to pitch either Darras and Ruotolo in tight spots late in games. Over had pretty much disappeared over the last few weeks, and in my mind it is vitally important that he return to pitching effectively so that Penders can throw him back into that late inning close game bullpen mix.

Agreed... if they can solve BP riddles and limit those headshaking "dumb baseball" errors - they have shown they can play w/ most in the Country and can win the AAC.

Reaction Score
What is it with the mental lapses on Sunday games and a chance to sweep. Error leads to run, balk and wild pitch leads to run and then the little things on the bases. For example, second inning. leadoff double by McDowell. Daniello then hits one to the wall in left center and McDowell doesn't tag up and get to third with one out. Yahn then flies out to center which would have scored a run. Instead he doesn't score and left stranded at second. These are little things that win games and help you to complete sweeps.
Unfortunately, Tabakman seems to have his struggles as well and now trails 5-1 and being pulled.
I found it interesting that Chris Jones brought up this very topic in yesterday's game about McDowell not tagging up. He said that Penders said it was his fault because he yelled "Trouble, Trouble" which I guess means he felt the outfielder may not get to it and no need to tag up. Here's my issue with this. Why not have the runner in this scenario always be ready to tag. If the ball is caught, you tag and are on 3rd with 1 out. If the ball is not caught more than likely you will score anyways from 2nd and even if you don't you are on 3rd with no outs. It doesn't get mentioned but the same thing occurred in the first inning with Sundberg on 2nd and no outs and Siena hit one to the wall and Sundberg didn't tag. Fortunate enough the pitcher balked him down to third and he scored on a sac fly.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I found it interesting that Chris Jones brought up this very topic in yesterday's game about McDowell not tagging up. He said that Penders said it was his fault because he yelled "Trouble, Trouble" which I guess means he felt the outfielder may not get to it and no need to tag up. Here's my issue with this. Why not have the runner in this scenario always be ready to tag. If the ball is caught, you tag and are on 3rd with 1 out. If the ball is not caught more than likely you will score anyways from 2nd and even if you don't you are on 3rd with no outs. It doesn't get mentioned but the same thing occurred in the first inning with Sundberg on 2nd and no outs and Siena hit one to the wall and Sundberg didn't tag. Fortunate enough the pitcher balked him down to third and he scored on a sac fly.
I can give Sundberg a break on his because at least there's some thought that has to go into it. He's trying to give himself the chance to score if the ball drops in. If the outfielder is camped under it, yeah he should probably be tagged up. I don't know if that was the case on this play or not.

For McDowell... if there's a ball in the air and you're on 3rd with less than 2 outs, you just tag up. It's automatic. There is literally no upside to not tagging up unless it's a situation where it's so shallow that if you tag you won't be able to score once it drops (regardless of whether or not it falls in).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom