UConn Baseball - NCAA Tourney | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball - NCAA Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Host sites for regional play...

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/a...ivision-i-regionals-announced-2013-tournament

2013 DIVISION I BASEBALL REGIONAL HOSTS

CITY, STATE VENUE HOST (RECORD)

Baton Rouge, La. Alex Box Stadium LSU (52-9)
Blacksburg, Va. English Field Virginia Tech (38-20)
Bloomington, Ind. Bart Kaufman Field Indiana (43-14)
Chapel Hill, N.C. Boshamer Stadium North Carolina (52-8)
Charlottesville, Va. Davenport Field Virginia (47-10)
Columbia, S.C. Carolina Stadium South Carolina (39-18)
Corvallis, Ore. Goss Stadium Oregon State (45-10)
Eugene, Ore. PK Park Oregon (45-14)
Fullerton, Calif. Goodwin Field Cal State Fullerton (48-8)
Los Angeles, Calif. Jackie Robinson Stadium *UCLA (38-17)
Louisville, Ky. Jim Patterson Stadium Louisville (46-10)
Manhattan, Kan. Tointon Family Stadium Kansas State (41-17)
Nashville, Tenn. Hawkins Field Vanderbilt (51-9)
Raleigh, N.C. Doak Field North Carolina State (44-14)
Starkville, Miss. Dudy Noble Field Mississippi State (43-17)
Tallahassee, Fla. Dick Howser Stadium Florida State (44-15)

The ACC leads the way with five hosts, the SEC has four, and the Pac-12 has three. The Big East, Big 12, Big Ten and Big West each have one school hosting.

Rest of field announced tomorrow @ noon on the U.

Reaction Score
Columbia Regional
South Carolina
Clemson
Coastal Carolina
Connecticut

Reaction Score
I'll bet they're all tough. Would focus more on place than competition. If we keep pitching and hitting anything can happen.

Reaction Score
OFFICIAL

Blacksburg Regional

#1 VA Tech
#4 UConn

#2 Coastal Carolina
#3 Oklahoma

Winner advances to play winner of Baton Rouge Regional.

Reaction Score
Greg Auman (@gregauman)
5/27/13, 12:27 PM
So Big East baseball only gets two teams in NCAA field: Connecticut (auto) and Louisville. Notre Dame, Pitt, Seton Hall all missed cut.

Which means UConn knocked out ND for all practical purposes. Most thought ND would get an @ large. Also Seton Hall is a surprise.

Reaction Score
Obviously all regions are going to be tough, but not disappointed to be placed in Blacksburg regional. Also unless I missed something only 2 BE teams were selected to tourney. I know Pitt, SH and ND were possibilities. Announcer on selection show said to watch out for UConn, we had nothing to lose and have started playing well.

Reaction Score
Obviously all regions are going to be tough, but not disappointed to be placed in Blacksburg regional. Also unless I missed something only 2 BE teams were selected to tourney. I know Pitt, SH and ND were possibilities. Announcer on selection show said to watch out for UConn, we had nothing to lose and have started playing well.

B_Daniello11 12:41pm via Twitter for iPhone
Best storyline for NCAA regionals, ESPN U announcers quote " Watch out for Uconn"

Reaction Score
UConn-Virginia Tech game is Friday at 5:30.
Coastal Carolina-Oklahoma is at 1pm.

Reaction Score
Not that it means much, but we probably have a better baseball history than Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
I just went to the acc website to check out Virginia Tech's record and I couldn't help but notice BC's baseball record - 12 wins, 40 losses.

anyway, Congrats to Jim Penders and the UCONN baseball team. My father played for his grandfather (also Jim Penders) on the Stratford High baseball team in the 50's.

Reaction Score
I just went to the acc website to check out Virginia Tech's record and I couldn't help but notice BC's baseball record - 12 wins, 40 losses.

anyway, Congrats to Jim Penders and the UCONN baseball team. My father played for his grandfather (also Jim Penders) on the Stratford High baseball team in the 50's.
Unfortunately one of bcu's 12 wins was against us. My, how bcu's sports fortunes have risen since joining the ACC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is such exciting and fun news for the Huskies. I think it's key for the future that they are making regular appearances in the tournament. I think the draw was favorable, VT is one of the weaker host schools from what I can see.

Does anyone have a feel for what the AAC means for baseball? We'll be facing more southern schools, but I have no idea whether SMU, Houston, Memphis, Tulsa, and UCF field have decent baseball programs or not.

Reaction Score
This is such exciting and fun news for the Huskies. I think it's key for the future that they are making regular appearances in the tournament. I think the draw was favorable, VT is one of the weaker host schools from what I can see.
I agree, I live down here in Georgia and as much as I would have loved to see them go to Nashville or Columbia to get to go see them play, I think the Blacksburg regional is certainly a winnable region for them.

Reaction Score

Does anyone have a feel for what the AAC means for baseball? We'll be facing more southern schools, but I have no idea whether SMU, Houston, Memphis, Tulsa, and UCF field have decent baseball programs or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Cougars_baseball

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulane_Green_Wave_baseball

http://beamemphistiger.com/sports/baseball/tradition-history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCF_Knights_baseball

Looks like SMU and Tulsa discontinued their programs in the 80s.

The other programs look decent, nothing great, Tulane may be the best of the bunch with 2 CWS appearances this decade.

Reaction Score
RTD_MikeBarber 1:46pm via Web
On the blog: Virginia Tech will start senior left-hander Joe Mantiply on Friday against UConn. vtsports.blogs.timesdispatch.com/2013/05/28/hok… #Hokies #Hokieball

"Virginia Tech will start senior left-hander Joe Mantiply in the first game of the NCAA regional tournament the Hokies are hosting on Friday against Connecticut.
Mantiply went 6-0 with a 2.92 ERA in 12 starts and pitched twice in relief."

"Mantiply, who was drafted in the 28th round by the Philadelphia Phillies last year but opted to return to Tech for his senior season, pitched the Hokies (38-20) to a win over Virginia in the opening game of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament last week."

http://vtsports.blogs.timesdispatch.com/2013/05/28/hokies-to-start-mantiply-in-game-1-of-regionals/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom