Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
E9DE4CAF-B3EE-4800-BF3E-EDD13E61B013.jpeg
From last year’s game!

Reaction Score
Sucks 2 of the games will be @ 2:05.
The other 2 will be @ 7:05

Reaction Score
Love Saturday afternoon games in the Spring...

Oops, I didn't click on link.

I remember seeing another schedule and seeing 2:05. I thought they were during the week so I couldn't go due to work.

This will be good. Will try and go to all 4.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I cannot make the Saturday games because of work but will definitely try to make the Friday games.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight...UConn baseball in Hartford = good.

UConn basketball/football/hockey in Hartford =/= tears at the fabric of civilize UConn society.

FIFY.....

Seriously though.

I like the mix of both areas so the majority of fans no matter the sport can check them out live

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
FIFY.....

Seriously though.

I like the mix of both areas so the majority of fans no matter the sport can check them out live
I had to fix it again for myself...:eek:

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight...UConn baseball in Hartford = good.

UConn basketball or football in Hartford = tears at the fabric of civilize UConn society.

It's a limited number, not half/entire schedule. Gets fans that wouldn't/can't travel out to Storrs for games experience UConn baseball which is one of the best sports on campus.

Reaction Score
There were more people at the dunk game than all the games up in Storrs. So from that perspective it is a great thing. Kids deserve that exposure. The team lenders had put together with everything like the non baseball weather and no facilities to really speak of is a good story.

Reaction Score
There were more people at the dunk game than all the games up in Storrs. So from that perspective it is a great thing. Kids deserve that exposure. The team lenders had put together with everything like the non baseball weather and no facilities to really speak of is a good story.

I'm hoping attendance in Storrs will improve some once the new baseball facility is completed. As for now, it's a bit hard to get people to come to games currently when there are absolutely no amenities on site, along with having no lights thus having to play weekday afternoons when most of us have to work. For instance, there is something to be said for on site running water and flush toilets which the current baseball facility does not have. I would expect that given the attendance of the game in Hartford last season, UConn baseball will now always have a few games there. The extra exposure is great for the program

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's a limited number, not half/entire schedule. Gets fans that wouldn't/can't travel out to Storrs for games experience UConn baseball which is one of the best sports on campus.

Again, a negative point for basketball/football is spun into a positive for baseball.

Regardless of percentage, the home football slate is a total of 6 games most years and it should "gets fans that [wouldn't/couldn't] travel out to Storrs for game experience." Is there a negative effect on student attendance of having games in East Hartford? Maybe on the snowflakes of the current student body, but football sold out a large portion of their games (including students) from 2003 through 2010. It wasn't until 1) slow recovery from The Great Recession met 2) the dipping of team W/L performance that attendance (specifically student) took a downturn and it makes sense. It's no fun supporting a team that has a far greater chance to lose than win. Look at basketball. They sold out virtually every arena in which they played for 25 years. What's the attendance for a 12-13 team and for whom it seems a more than fair percentage of the vocal fanbase want a coaching change? Gampel, with 6,000 less seats and far better viewing angles, doesn't sell out any better than the XL Center.

Back to baseball...when I was in school in the late 90s, the baseball team played in front of friends and family...at least the games I went to. It was not until about 2006 that they began playing well and people outside the Greater Mansfield Hollow region took notice.

It's all about performance and expectations of winning, not venue and not opponent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Back to baseball...when I was in school in the late 90s, the baseball team played in front of friends and family...at least the games I went to. It was not until about 2006 that they began playing well and people outside the Greater Mansfield Hollow region took notice.

One other big change took place for UConn baseball. WHUS started carrying UConn baseball games. Before 2006, UConn baseball was rare event on UConn's radio station. Starting around 2006 or so, WHUS gradually ramped up the number of games the WHUS sports department would carry. First the station started with the post season tournaments, then they started carrying more and more of the home schedule, and eventually started going on the road with the team as well. Earlier this decade a commitment was made by Chris Jones to broadcast virtually every game on the schedule. Having games regularly on the radio and/or the internet made it much easier for people to follow this team, and it is the big reason why I am so much into this team now.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Again, a negative point for basketball/football is spun into a positive for baseball.

Regardless of percentage, the home football slate is a total of 6 games most years and it should "gets fans that [wouldn't/couldn't] travel out to Storrs for game experience." Is there a negative effect on student attendance of having games in East Hartford? Maybe on the snowflakes of the current student body, but football sold out a large portion of their games (including students) from 2003 through 2010. It wasn't until 1) slow recovery from The Great Recession met 2) the dipping of team W/L performance that attendance (specifically student) took a downturn and it makes sense. It's no fun supporting a team that has a far greater chance to lose than win. Look at basketball. They sold out virtually every arena in which they played for 25 years. What's the attendance for a 12-13 team and for whom it seems a more than fair percentage of the vocal fanbase want a coaching change? Gampel, with 6,000 less seats and far better viewing angles, doesn't sell out any better than the XL Center.

It's all about performance and expectations of winning, not venue and not opponent.
Apple and oranges, right?
If it was really all about performance and expectations of winning, not venue and not opponent, then the baseball team would draw the same numbers in Storrs.

FWIW, the XL is a great venue for hockey too. One common link is that for both baseball and hockey there isn't an up to date appropriated sized venue in Storrs. That won't always be the case though.

uconn-baseball-jpg.13475

Reaction Score
Hartford Prices (for UConn Athletic Fund Donors)

4 Game Pass
Home Plate Club $100 per ticket
Stadium Club $80 per ticket
Reserved $45 per ticket
General Admission $35 per ticket

Single Game Tickets
Reserved $13 per ticket
General Admission (Adult) $10 per ticket
General Admission (Youth/Senior) $5 per ticket

Reaction Score
One other big change took place for UConn baseball. WHUS started carrying UConn baseball games. Before 2006, UConn baseball was rare event on UConn's radio station. Starting around 2006 or so, WHUS gradually ramped up the number of games the WHUS sports department would carry. First the station started with the post season tournaments, then they started carrying more and more of the home schedule, and eventually started going on the road with the team as well. Earlier this decade a commitment was made by Chris Jones to broadcast virtually every game on the schedule. Having games regularly on the radio and/or the internet made it much easier for people to follow this team, and it is the big reason why I am so much into this team now.

I can attest to this. Nobody knows more about UConn baseball then Chris Jones and he is the voice of UConn baseball. At one point he missed one game from Spring 2013 to Spring 2016. I've been the board operator for a lot of the games he has done on WHUS the last few years. His professionalism is off the charts and I'd put him up there with some of the best play by play baseball guys.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Apple and oranges, right?
If it was really all about performance and expectations of winning, not venue and not opponent, then the baseball team would draw the same numbers in Storrs.

FWIW, the XL is a great venue for hockey too. One common link is that for both baseball and hockey there isn't an up to date appropriated sized venue in Storrs. That won't always be the case though.

uconn-baseball-jpg.13475

There are certainly differences between northeast college baseball and football or basketball and the comment about performance and expectations of winning has much more to do with football and basketball.

Baseball begins in February, but the home slate does not begin until April, is always subject to weather, and the weekday games are played while most who care are at work or in class due to lack of lights. Also, the number of baseball games does not exactly lend itself to being the "events" that football should be and that basketball games once were when season loss totals were regularly in the single digits.

I think George Springer will make more baseball fans iside the Connecticut boarders take notice and I agree that a few games at "The Dunk" is good for the baseball program, as they continue to build a following, but the reasons sited above are pretty similar to why it is bad to have off-campus basketball and football. Football had drawn better than 92.5% capacity (37,000) with a packed student section from 2003-10 and only began to dip in the Pasqualoni years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom