Men - UConn baseball coach Jim Penders left with lasting memories, and more determination than ever. | The Boneyard

Men UConn baseball coach Jim Penders left with lasting memories, and more determination than ever.

Reaction Score

-> This has always been the toughest day of the year for Jim Penders, the day his players scatter all over the country, never to meet as a complete corps again. “This is the gut-wrenching day, my least favorite day of the year because you’ve got to say ‘goodbye,’” Penders said Tuesday before boarding a plane home from California. “When that last out is recorded, we’ll never all be together again. That’s the saddest part of these things. It’s just so sudden, unlike any other NCAA sport, they leave for summer ball, for internships, it’s almost immediate scatter.” …

…The NCAA provided a charter so at least this time the coaches and players didn’t have to leave on several separate commercial flights; they were able to say their goodbyes and relive the season during the six-hour flight home.<-

-> “To get one step closer to Omaha, in my tenure we haven’t been that close, is what made it so painful,” Penders said. “We realize, and I realize, that Stanford had the better team, but when you win the first one, and you hang on the way we did, you can taste it, you can smell Omaha. And we got so freaking close, it makes it even tougher. But at the same time it makes you even hungrier to get back there and bang down that door.” <-

-> So the opportunity for UConn baseball to become the next big thing at home; the team from the Northeast to break into the sport’s southern- and western-dominated elite group, is in the offing. But there is one more game to win, one more step to take, one more place to go.

“We’re going to get to Omaha,” Penders said. “I don’t know how, but I know that we’re going to do it. It’s really hard to get there, but I know when we do it’s going to be so awesome.” <-

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here<<

-> “What I told them throughout this postseason, I wanted them to have fun, stay liquid,” Penders recalled. “And I said, ‘You all know, this is not enough. Big East tournament is not enough, Regionals is not enough, Super Regionals is not enough.’ But I want you guys to know that you guys are always enough for me. Whatever you’re about, it’s always been enough for me. They need to know that. They left it all out on the field.”

Penders said there was disappointment “to a man” that the Huskies came so close. “We felt the state behind us, we didn’t want to disappoint anybody. We felt like we had the team to do it. One days’ perspective here, Stanford was the better team, we should take no shame in losing to a fine opponent. What makes it so difficult is that we were just that one step away. We needed to play our ‘A’ game on Sunday or Monday, and we didn’t do that. That’s what’s a gut-punch. But at the same time, there wasn’t anybody that didn’t try as hard as they could to win that game.” <-

->You feel disappointed that we came up short of the destination we all had in mind,” the coach said. “But also feel fueled for next year, to do our best to get back. If we can do it with two returning position players, why can’t we do it with four or five returning position players? I know that’s the spirit that was on the charter flight home.”

UConn will also add some talented players to the mix, several of them through the transfer portal as well as some talented, Connecticut-born incoming freshman, including Xavier’s Drew Kron, St. Paul’s Ryan Daniels and Coginchaug’s Kolby Pascarelli.<-

Reaction Score
Besides the obvious names we know will be gone, some insight into others as well in there

Guilford’s Matt Donlan, who boasts the best arm behind the plate that Penders says he’s ever coached, could be a mid- to late-round draft pick, as well. Casey Dana has a chance to get drafted, while Erik Stock and Zack Bushling have also graduated. Pitcher Enzo Stafanoni has another year of eligibility, but will most likely start a job with the Harvard Endowment Fund in Boston.

Reaction Score
I would like to share a post from my son. He did it on Instagram and not sure if anyone ran across it.

Screenshot_20220617-123742_Instagram.jpg

Reaction Score
I would like to share a post from my son. He did it on Instagram and not sure if anyone ran across it.
It's been an absolute pleasure to watch your son represent UConn baseball the past few seasons. Think I can speak for everyone on this board in saying Erik exemplifies everything that we love about the program and always plays the game the right way -- and it doesn't hurt that seemingly every other AB for 2-plus seasons ended with a laser in the gaps. Thanks for sharing his post and good luck in the rest of your family's baseball journey!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's been an absolute pleasure to watch your son represent UConn baseball the past few seasons. Think I can speak for everyone on this board in saying Erik exemplifies everything that we love about the program and always plays the game the right way -- and it doesn't hurt that seemingly every other AB for 2-plus seasons ended with a laser in the gaps. Thanks for sharing his post and good luck in the rest of your family's baseball journey!
I want to thank you all for the support given my son, even when there was questions on what a southern kid would want to play in the NE. I have enjoyed each of your posts and how you live and breath Husky baseball.
Hoping the next stage is being drafted. Our plan is to attend some more games in Storrs, since we have family in CT.
Thanks again to all of you. I hope to meet you all in person next time I'm at "The Doug"!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I want to thank you all for the support given my son, even when there was questions on what a southern kid would want to play in the NE. I have enjoyed each of your posts and how you live and breath Husky baseball.
Hoping the next stage is being drafted. Our plan is to attend some more games in Storrs, since we have family in CT.
Thanks again to all of you. I hope to meet you all in person next time I'm at "The Doug"!
I was lucky to have sat with some scouts during an early season game in Storrs and listened to how the scouts loved the way Erik hit the ball. With his plus arm, one scout was telling the other scout how someone needs to find a spot for him!!

Reaction Score
Awesome. I always follow our former players and will certainly be doing that with this group. It’s amazing how powerful a connection can be with your school. I did not play sports in college so I imagine with the right team that connection is even stronger. For me my love for Uconn has never waned. The baseball team has been a big part of it and it seems Penders and his staff are awesome and just bring in great kids. It really sucked losing Monday but this team was so much fun to follow.

Reaction Score
Eric Stock hit from the day he showed up. Rarely could you see a college kid come through so often in the clutch. A pleasure to root for and an unexpected surprise Husky great!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom