Men - UConn Baseball 2023 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2023

Reaction Score
Definitely host, winning a regional on our home turf would boost our already strong local recruiting ties and would be great for the fans.
Where would "home" be if you get a regional? Stoors or somewhere nearby? Students are usually gone by tourney time.

Reaction Score
Where would "home" be if you get a regional? Stoors or somewhere nearby? Students are usually gone by tourney time.

This question has come up in the past. Coach Penders and company have pretty much said in past interviews that with the new ballpark, if UConn were to host a regional the games would be in Storrs. I fully expect that if UConn were selected to host a regional, that the games would be played in Storrs.

Reaction Score
The weather forecast right now is looking wet in Philadelphia this weekend. UConn might very well end up with their fourth straight weekend of having to play a doubleheader in Big East play.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

As dbmill said, probably in Storrs, with added bleachers etc to increase attendance to about 3k.

I am not opposed to Norwich or Hartford though, UConn drew excellently to Norwich in 2009 the last time we hosted (6k or so vs Oregon, better than most non-SEC teams that hosted that year).

Reaction Score
As dbmill said, probably in Storrs, with added bleachers etc to increase attendance to about 3k.

I am not opposed to Norwich or Hartford though, UConn drew excellently to Norwich in 2009 the last time we hosted (6k or so vs Oregon, better than most non-SEC teams that hosted that year).
We didnt spend millions on a state of the art field to not host a regional on campus. With the hillside and expanded seating on the patio area there is plenty of seating and space. For reference, Marylands stadium last year only holds 2,500 and it is old and cramped with only one entrance to the stadium.

Reaction Score
Hey everyone, I haven’t posted on the baseball boards as much as I did last year cuz school always seems to get in the way. Doesn’t mean I haven’t been following along though! Here’s a fun fact: This is Penders 20th season with UConn. In that span, he's had 16 seasons (including 2023) with 30 or more wins and is currently sitting at 686 total wins. Possible he sees 700 by the end of the year. Unreal stuff for a baseball program from the northeast

Reaction Score
Hey everyone, I haven’t posted on the baseball boards as much as I did last year cuz school always seems to get in the way. Doesn’t mean I haven’t been following along though! Here’s a fun fact: This is Penders 20th season with UConn. In that span, he's had 16 seasons (including 2023) with 30 or more wins and is currently sitting at 686 total wins. Possible he sees 700 by the end of the year. Unreal stuff for a baseball program from the northeast

Yeah, school and work does have a habit of getting in the way of doing things just for the pleasure of it. Anyway, good to see you back on the board, even if for now it is just for this post.

Reaction Score

Passed Ball here <<

-> But Penders, in his 20th season at the UConn's helm, isn't all that different from many veteran coaches whose teams ascend in the rankings. "Coaches don't enjoy it," he noted. "It's for fans, everybody outside the program, it's for media. The rankings are fun to talk about, but it's poison for people inside the program. The second you start to believe that stuff, it's going to beat you. The game will not be kind to you if you start to walk around like you're the 10th-best team in the country." <-

-> "The only poll that matters is (Matt) Garbowski behind the plate, and the left-field and right-field poles," Penders said, with a smile. "That's it. Until the end of July. The one in July, that matters." <-

-> Huber, who is tied for the team lead with 10 home runs, had an MRI taken on Tuesday and will be out for "weeks," per Penders. <-

Reaction Score
There are 4 weekends left to the regular season. There are 6 players on UConn's 37 man playing roster who have not appeared in a game this season. 5 of these players are freshmen, one would assume that they are being redshirted this season. They are the following:

Levi McAllister
Ryan Juliano
Noah Sorenson
Gavin Greger
Ryan VanDeWater

The last player on the playing roster who has not seen any game time this season is Chris Brown. That Brown hasn't played in a game this shows a couple things, how good UConn's infield depth is season, and perhaps how far Brown has dropped from a couple seasons ago when he looked like he was a budding star at 3B. Brown is also again in the Transfer Portal (he was in the Transfer Portal last summer as well), so I supposes it is possible that this may have had an impact on his not getting any playing time this season. Still, it was obvious from how players were used during fall ball games and scrimmages that Brown was behind a bunch of players in the infield.

There are also 3 players not on the official playing roster. One of them is Hector Alejandro, who is missing the season due to injury. The other 2 are freshmen pitchers who are being redshirted:

Sam Clark
J.J. Hood

Always interesting to see what happens with these redshirts in the coming season. Some might be nursing injuries. In the past some redshirts end up leaving the team, while there are those who end have a big impact on the team with their play on the field. We'll see what happens with this group.

Reaction Score
Is Chris brown even on team? His name is on roster but I have been to a couple games and don’t recall seeing him although I could have missed him too. When you have dropped off face of earth like he has no one would blame him for seeing writing on wall and finding a plan b

Reaction Score
Is Chris brown even on team? His name is on roster but I have been to a couple games and don’t recall seeing him although I could have missed him too. When you have dropped off face of earth like he has no one would blame him for seeing writing on wall and finding a plan b

Chris Brown was certainly with the team during fall ball, I did see him get some playing time in fall ball games and scrimmages. I recall that just prior to the start of the season, he did get mentioned during the pre season coaching interviews about individual players on the team. As for seeing the writing on the wall, I'm sure that is at least part of the reason he is listed in the Transfer Portal. Of course, he was listed in the Transfer Portal last summer as well, and was still with the team during fall ball.

Reaction Score
Chris Brown was certainly with the team during fall ball, I did see him get some playing time in fall ball games and scrimmages. I recall that just prior to the start of the season, he did get mentioned during the pre season coaching interviews about individual players on the team. As for seeing the writing on the wall, I'm sure that is at least part of the reason he is listed in the Transfer Portal. Of course, he was listed in the Transfer Portal last summer as well, and was still with the team during fall ball.
he's been at all the home games I've been too

Reaction Score

Yes great crowd in Norwich that Friday night in 2010 vs Oregon. Saturday afternoon they killed CCSU and then Sunday was filled with rain delays and ended in loss to Oregon. I wouldn't mind Norwich or Hartford but with a new ballpark it makes sense to host in Storrs. I can still hear the sound of the ball exploding off Olt's bat against CCSU.

Reaction Score
UConn up to #9 in D1Baseball Top 25 Poll:

UConn “up” to #23 in Baseball America Top 25:

-> Previous ranking: No. 24
Last Week: 3-0
Overall: 32-11, 8-3 in Big East (0-1 vs. Top 25)
Weekend Record: 9-0-2
Results
April 25:
Rhode Island: W 9-5
April 29-30: @ Villanova: W 7-3, W 9-1
Upcoming
May 5-7:
Seton Hall

UConn continued its winning ways with a perfect week that consisted of a win over Rhode Island and an abbreviated series sweep of Villanova. The standout performance of the week for UConn belonged to righthander Stephen Quigley, who threw 7.2 scoreless innings with 10 strikeouts in its game two victory against Villanova. While its overall record is an impressive 32-11, Connecticut is a half-game behind Creighton in the Big East standings. UConn this weekend hosts Seton Hall. <-

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
D7DEEBB4-A363-427E-AFDD-2E2D57C2815F.jpeg

03EE383F-6562-4156-A416-866F000ED88C.jpeg

Reaction Score
UConn up to #9 in D1Baseball Top 25 Poll:

UConn “up” to #23 in Baseball America Top 25:

-> Previous ranking: No. 24
Last Week: 3-0
Overall: 32-11, 8-3 in Big East (0-1 vs. Top 25)
Weekend Record: 9-0-2
Results
April 25:
Rhode Island: W 9-5
April 29-30: @ Villanova: W 7-3, W 9-1
Upcoming
May 5-7:
Seton Hall

UConn continued its winning ways with a perfect week that consisted of a win over Rhode Island and an abbreviated series sweep of Villanova. The standout performance of the week for UConn belonged to righthander Stephen Quigley, who threw 7.2 scoreless innings with 10 strikeouts in its game two victory against Villanova. While its overall record is an impressive 32-11, Connecticut is a half-game behind Creighton in the Big East standings. UConn this weekend hosts Seton Hall. <-
UConn up 4 spots to #9 in USA Today NCAA Coaches Poll:

Reaction Score
Looks like Jim Penders is well liked by his peers.

Once again, this may be partly the result of UConn making the NCAA Tournament 8 out the last 12 years and the last 4 Tourneys in a row, and also reaching the super regionals last year. It all helps to build things up for the UConn Baseball program.

Reaction Score
I like being #9, it’s great recognition, but I just feel like our pitching is super suspect to make a run past regionals.

Reaction Score
I like being #9, it’s great recognition, but I just feel like our pitching is super suspect to make a run past regionals.
You may very well be right, but it could be that a bunch of good programs’ staffs are ashambles this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom