Men - UConn Baseball 2022 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2022

Reaction Score

I had a busy morning, but was able to get to Storrs for the last part of the scrimmage. After the scrimmage, my wife and I had a chance to say hello to Chris Jones, who has gotten enough of my emails over the years, and who I have met a number of times in the past at events like the fall alumni game and barbecue. Anyway, he has seen me enough that he knows me by sight by now. Jones volunteered at one point before I asked that his interviews with the coaching staff on the upcoming season will be posted before the start of the season. Guess he knows by now what is on my mind just prior to the season starting.

Also saw Dom Amore of the Hartford Courant at the scrimmage, so I am half expecting a UConn baseball story in the paper in the coming week.

Reaction Score

-> Connecticut returned to its long-time conference home last year after a seven-year sabbatical in the American Athletic Conference and cruised to the Big East regular-season title, winning by two games. It beat Xavier two of three times in the conference tournament to make its third consecutive regional and seventh in the last 11 NCAA tournaments. The Huskies lost five draft picks, including Big East Player of the Year Kyler Fedko, off last year’s team. They then suffered an even bigger blow during the offseason when elite two-way talent Reggie Crawford — he of the 100-mph fastball and the light tower power (13 HR, 62 RBI) from the left side — had to have Tommy John surgery that will force him to miss the 2021 season. And yet, UConn remains the team to beat in the Big East and the preeminent program in the Northeast. That’s because the Huskies reload rather than rebuild.

This year, that starts with swiping transfer Casey Dana from conference foe Seton Hall after he hit .306, 7, 36 and was an All-Big East second-team member for the Pirates. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Dana will provide some thump at the plate as will Division II Limestone College transfer Ben Huber. The 6-foot-3, 245-pound blonde bomber hit .439, 10, 48 last season. He’ll slot into the middle of UConn’s lineup, possibly batting cleanup, where he is expected to be a force. LaSalle transfer David Smith will be at the top of the lineup where he has good speed and can also load up and drive the baseball. Between Smith and Huber, you’ll find hit machine Erik Stock, who started his career at Old Dominion. Stock has slashed .381/.453/.560 in his two seasons with the Huskies. He showed some pop last season as well with 14 doubles, two triples and six home runs as he was named All-Big East first team. Stock also stole eight bases in nine tries. He just is a baseball player. He does everything above average and makes winning play after winning play, including with his defense in center field. He’ll be tasked with helping his fellow outfielders as Dana is making the transition to the outfield in right and Kevin Ferrer (.275, 1, 20) is a bat-first left fielder that is primed for a breakout campaign with a little more patience at the plate. Ferrer won’t have too many grounders to field with third-year sophomore third baseman Chris Brown (.296, 5, 38) playing in front of him. He’s a vacuum that continues to get better and better defensively. He has all the tools to be a true prospect at the hot corner on the next level. Fifth-year senior shortstop Zach Bushling hit a team-low (among starters) .250 last season but produces some of the best at-bats on the team. He was second on the team with 25 walks drawn pushing his on-base percentage to .372. When he gets on bases, he can cause some havoc as well (10 SB last season).

On the mound, UConn returns 6-foot-6, 234-pound Austin Peterson to front the rotation. The Purdue bounce back went 7-1, 2.58 while holding hitters to a .201 average. He was named to the All-Big East second team last season and is a preseason All-Big East selection this spring. He knows how to attack the zone, works with three pitches and moves his 88-93-mph fastball around the zone effortlessly. Peterson is the head of a pitching staff that amassed 151 more strikeouts than the next closest team in the Big East. The Huskies will have to replace 127 of those with the departure of Ben Casparius (8-5, 4.03), but third-year sophomore Pat Gallagher (5-2, 4.44) took his game to another level late in the season last year. He struck out more than a batter per inning in five conference starts, going 3-0, 2.85, including pitching 5.2 scoreless innings in the Big East Tournament championship game. Gallagher has a plus slider and changeup that aren’t always on at the same time, but when they are, hitters are in trouble. He was 2-0, 3.90 with 33 strikeouts in 25.1 innings this summer in the Cape Cod League.

Fifth-year junior Enzo Stefanoni is battling with freshman Ian Cooke for the final starting roles. Stefanoni should be fresh as he comes over from Harvard having barely thrown the last two seasons with the Ivy League cancelling the 2021 season. He throws a lot of strikes and mixes two diverse breaking balls — a slow loopy curveball and a sharp-biting slider. He was 5-1, 2.82 in 2019. Cooke has Friday night starter potential down the road. He has an 89-93 mph fastball with sink that he tunnels pretty well with a plus slider that gets a lot of swings and misses. Speaking of sliders, 5-foot-8 slider machine Justin Willis (4-0, 2.60, 1 SV), who began his career at Vanderbilt, returned from a two-year absence to become one of Connecticut’s most dynamic bullpen arms, allowing only eight hits in 16 appearances last season. Another likely high-leverage bullpen arm is Cole Chudoba, a transfer from Division II Assumption College. He struck out 40 in 35 innings last season and could be used as the Huskies’ closer with a fastball he can run into the mid-90s and a hard slider. Chudoba and some other newcomers will have to fill some important roles. UConn has a lot of depth on the staff but outside of Willis, Brendan O’Donnell (0-0, 13.14) is the only returning reliever that made at least 10 appearances. Finding the right roles will be key for the Huskies to avoid coming out of the gates slow like last year’s 4-10 start.<-

This analysis seems to think the starting outfield for UConn will be Ferrer, Stock, and Casey Dana. I'm inclined to think either TC Simmons, David Smith or possibly Korey Morton will see the vast majority of the time in center field this season. Assuming that Casey Dana starts in the outfield, I'm thinking that Ferrer will certainly get playing time, but he will be a good bat coming off the bench. I'm also expecting Morton to be a bench player who gets playing some playing time as well.

Reaction Score
From reading the D1Baseball Big East preview and the pitching preview from the UConn Blog, it further confirms from what I had been reading during fall ball that freshmen Ian Cooke and Jack Sullivan could play big roles on the 2022 UConn pitching staff. Also very possible that sophomore pitcher Brendan O'Donnell might also see a good chunk of time on the mound, given how his summer went, and the interest that he got from summer ball on the Cape. To me, how the pitching staff develops is going to be very interesting this spring season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This analysis seems to think the starting outfield for UConn will be Ferrer, Stock, and Casey Dana. I'm inclined to think either TC Simmons, David Smith or possibly Korey Morton will see the vast majority of the time in center field this season. Assuming that Casey Dana starts in the outfield, I'm thinking that Ferrer will certainly get playing time, but he will be a good bat coming off the bench. I'm also expecting Morton to be a bench player who gets playing some playing time as well.

Considering the lack of news that comes from fall ball, it would be a bit of a surprise to me if Erik Stock ends up in center field. But it is possible that he did see time there in the fall, but we just didn't hear about it. I could be wrong, but still, I don't recall hearing about him playing CF in summer ball or anywhere else.

Reaction Score
Given the arm Stock showed from the outfield, I was expecting him to be moved from left to right. But we’ll see. I still expect to see one of Ferrer or Dana at DH, one as a corner OF and either Smith or Simmons in CF.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Jonesy will release any preseason interviews with Mac and Hourigan as he has done in the past? Those were great and gave you first hand insight into how they saw the team stacking up for at least the beginning of the year….

Reaction Score

Nice to see. The MLB lock out has messed up their spring training schedule. Coming home to UConn to work out is a great for former players and our our current players. The Huskies get to interact with professionals and the pros get to use top notch facilities and become mentors.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Jonesy will release any preseason interviews with Mac and Hourigan as he has done in the past? Those were great and gave you first hand insight into how they saw the team stacking up for at least the beginning of the year….

Please see this post from this past Saturday:

I had a busy morning, but was able to get to Storrs for the last part of the scrimmage. After the scrimmage, my wife and I had a chance to say hello to Chris Jones, who has gotten enough of my emails over the years, and who I have met a number of times in the past at events like the fall alumni game and barbecue. Anyway, he has seen me enough that he knows me by sight by now. Jones volunteered at one point before I asked that his interviews with the coaching staff on the upcoming season will be posted before the start of the season. Guess he knows by now what is on my mind just prior to the season starting.

Also saw Dom Amore of the Hartford Courant at the scrimmage, so I am half expecting a UConn baseball story in the paper in the coming week.

Reaction Score
Nice to see. The MLB lock out has messed up their spring training schedule. Coming home to UConn to work out is a great for former players and our our current players. The Huskies get to interact with professionals and the pros get to use top notch facilities and become mentors.
Reminds me of the 1998-99 NBA lockout when Ray returned to Storrs. Good karma.

Reaction Score

I was able to get through it. I don't pay much attention when he tells me how good guys that won't be playing will be, because everyone says that. But interpreting what he said makes me think that what I was assuming was correct: we have ten candidates for nine spots in the lineup -- Dunlop, Huber, Fedko, Bushling, Smith, Brown, Dana, Stock, Ferrer and Simmons. The most likely subs to make a contribution sound like Padilla, Grabowski and Morton.

But, as I say all the time on the other boards, I never assume that when a coach says something his goal is to make a truthful statement, so we'll see. But my guess as to an opening day order:

Bushling, Fedko, Stock, Huber, Dana, Brown, Ferrer, Dunlop, Simmons.

Reaction Score
Sounds like (P) Brendan O’Donnell will be unavailable the first few weekends…

Reaction Score

Very nice and informative interview. The main thing that strikes me from this interview is the potential position player depth on the team.

Catcher - The coaching staff just loves Matt Donlan. Terrific defensively, and they think he is going to hit as well, his bat started to come on towards the end of the Cape Cod summer season, and it continued in fall ball. Also pretty high on the skills of freshman Matt Garbowski. Both Donlan and Garbowski (a lefty bat) are potential D.H. candidates when not behind the plate. Also some very nice words for third string catcher Ryan Hyde, who the staff was really getting to like before a hip injury caused him to miss all of last season.

Ben Huber - A middle of the order power guy at 1B. Sounds like his glove is pretty solid in the field as well.

Christian Fedko - Could see time at 2B or at D.H., depending what happens with how the rest of the team develops.

David Smith - 2B/OF - Could see time at multiple positions, including 2B and CF. A switch hitter with speed who could get 30+ stolen bases in the lead off position.

Zach Bushling - Penciled in at SS, but can play any of the infield positions.

Chris Brown - Could be a potential draft pick in the MLB draft if he continues to grow his game at 3B.

As for the other young infielders, Bryan Padilla is starting to come along nicely. Jackson Ferrigno and Todd Pedersen also got some positive comments, but they both seem to be behind Padilla at this point.

Erik Stock - Coaching staff loves having him back, that's for sure. No mention of him being a potential CF candidate, or any other spot as well. I would assume he anchors the outfield from his spot in left field.

Kevin Ferrer - His defense in the outfield has improved quite a bit from his freshman year. Coaching staff loves his bat, the main thing for him is to stay healthy.

T.C. Simmons - Coaching staff loves his defense in CF. They think his bat isn't bad either. Suspect if he hits, he plays CF, and from what was said in the interview, he has been hitting.

Casey Dana - A corner guy in the outfield, seems like the coaching staff has a spot reserved for him in RF (he was new to the outfield last season at Seton Hall). Another middle of the order power guy.

Korey Morton - Love his athleticism, he potential as a power/speed guy. He has really worked on his swing. Suspect he will get some time coming off the bench.

Outfielders Phoenix Billings and Zach Stephenson also get positive mentions, something to keep in mind for the future. Billings as a corner outfielder, and Stephenson has really come on. He is a potential future CF who can play any of the outfield positions.

Reaction Score
I was able to get through it. I don't pay much attention when he tells me how good guys that won't be playing will be, because everyone says that. But interpreting what he said makes me think that what I was assuming was correct: we have ten candidates for nine spots in the lineup -- Dunlop, Huber, Fedko, Bushling, Smith, Brown, Dana, Stock, Ferrer and Simmons. The most likely subs to make a contribution sound like Padilla, Grabowski and Morton.

But, as I say all the time on the other boards, I never assume that when a coach says something his goal is to make a truthful statement, so we'll see. But my guess as to an opening day order:

Bushling, Fedko, Stock, Huber, Dana, Brown, Ferrer, Dunlop, Simmons.

I'm still inclined to think David Smith gets into the lineup at either 2B or CF, but we'll see what happens. Other than that, I pretty much agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom