Uconn Band | The Boneyard

Uconn Band

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are lucky to have such an amazing band! Their participation add so much to the collegiate atmosphere. Do these dedicated hard working students get scholarships? They should.
No they do not get scholarships. They do get class credits.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite pars of game day. Kids are terrific!

Reaction Score
indeed, great halftime show yesterday, and they amp up the vibe at the Husky walk too...and on that note, almost to a man, when you say good luck to the players as they walk by they say thank you. We are closer to the start of it so it makes it easier to hear. Diaco must be teaching manners 101, and he has a firm handshake and thanks people for coming too.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
My Grandpa was music director for the City of New Haven Public Schools in the mid-20th century (he wrote the Hillhouse Hymn) and was obsessed with the quality of the HS marching bands, so we grew up immersed in the culture. When I go to a game the band's performance is very important to me. The UCMB is a state treasure and is the prinicipal source of college atmosphere at the Rent. Unfortunatley I couldn't attend the game yesterday due to illness (had to stay within 5 feet of a bathroom since Friday), but for me even when the team isn't doing well the UCMB is worth the rice of admission.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Being a UCMB alum I can tell you that for me, just being able to perform at the games was worth it. Plus it was a family that I entered into when I got to school. Moving up to school from out of state I had no one I knew yet being in the UCMB made it quickly feel like home. I have tons of really close friends that I stay in touch with through the UCMB and while a scholarship would have been great, I never once wanted one because of what I did. We were all out there because it was a blast and Dr Mills, the director, is an amazing guy who we loved! My only wish was that I graduated a year later as I never got to perform at The Rent except as an Alumn on homecoming. However, there was something special about being able to march from the music building up to Memorial every home game through campus and back.

Reaction Score
With a "White Out" being pushed I was surprised to see them in their blue coats? Why no white t-shirts for the white out?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I used to have family in the Pitt band. She did not have a scholarship, but she traveled with the team to many away games (regular season and bowls). She had a blast.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I knew a kid who claimed to have an oboe scholarship to be in the marching band. The scholarship may have been academic (music theory) and he happened to be in the band. Situations like that may not be uncommon.

On a related note, were they playing a new song on our offensive 3rd downs yesterday? If they were, keep it up! We actually converted well on third downs.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
With a "White Out" being pushed I was surprised to see them in their blue coats? Why no white t-shirts for the white out?
Yeah that and none of the coaches wearing white was curious. For really hot games in the past they wore white tees and blue overalls. Probably what they typically wear under the coats.

Kudos to the field crew for painting the end zones white. They do the same thing with the gray uniforms and it's subtle but I like it.

Reaction Score
I used to have family in the Pitt band. She did not have a scholarship, but she traveled with the team to many away games (regular season and bowls). She had a blast.
My daughter was in both the marching and Pep bands. Went to Fiesta bowl and 2-3 other bowls. 2 final fours for both men and women hoops. Big East tourneys for both. Was a great experience

Reaction Score
I knew a kid who claimed to have an oboe scholarship to be in the marching band. The scholarship may have been academic (music theory) and he happened to be in the band. Situations like that may not be uncommon.

On a related note, were they playing a new song on our offensive 3rd downs yesterday? If they were, keep it up! We actually converted well on third downs.
They do get schollys for music education side. Most kids in marching band major in other areas and are not associated with the music department except for marching or pep bands

Reaction Score
The band is the best I have ever seen it (I've had season tickets since Memorial Stadium), but let's not forget the twirler. She is also the best UCONN twirler I've seen. She is extremely athletic and presents herself wonderfully. I could use more drumline.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Makes me happy to see comments like this. I'm obviously biased. :)

I can't wait for the BCU game, because no matter how the game turns out, we will win halftime by about 200.

I do wish they would kill the stupid mic though. It makes the band all but unlistenable from my section. We have 300 in a small stadium- we can carry the place.

Reaction Score
Makes me happy to see comments like this. I'm obviously biased. :)

I can't wait for the BCU game, because no matter how the game turns out, we will win halftime by about 200.

I do wish they would kill the stupid mic though. It makes the band all but unlistenable from my section. We have 300 in a small stadium- we can carry the place.

Not my perception, the band is not loud enough. In section 200 (second level, mid-field) it wasn't loud enough to really get into. It was kind of quiet and droning. I'd like more mics, or maybe just better ones that can clearly handle more volume?

Also, more energy in the playlist. They need stuff that makes you want to dance. In Florida there are some great high school bands in my area. Some are considered fantastic in terms of skill and the old folks love them and follow them around. Others, are not considered technically as good but they jam and the average spectator can't help but start moving to it. The kids are absolutely partying out there while playing. It is awesome. The student section would love it. Pop songs, hip hop by a live band, Back in Black quick renditions with a hip hop beat. The Rent needs that. When you wonder where the students are, the answer lies in the entertainment. You have to give them what they want. It isn't just about winning football, it's about giving them the high that comes with a building full of energy. The band, the DJ, the offense....everything needs to be high energy, high volume.

Reaction Score
I have the privilege of being able to watch and listen to them warm up in the parking lot before games. My wife and I always make sure to say hi to the kids, thank them for doing a great job, and have even given them shelter under our tent when it rained while they were waiting to head in. We are lucky to have them and I'm glad that Benedict and Goetz have started to utilize them more for in-game entertainment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom