UConn Band Tower & Marching Field Improvement Project Now Underway | The Boneyard

UConn Band Tower & Marching Field Improvement Project Now Underway

Reaction Score
This was a long time in the making. Several years ago, President Herbst was lobbied for a band practice building like the ones at UVA---and UMass--but there were too many competing projects. This was a feasible alternative. Kudos to David Mills and the fundraising team. The marching band is a UConn treasure.

Reaction Score
Here's an idea. How about they just add around 50,000 "temporary" seats as part of this "upgrade" for people who want to enjoy watching the band. The "temporary" seats may need to be firmly anchored with strong steel and concrete support but that of course is just a safety issue. Some of them may even need back supports since back pain is becoming such a serious issue and one would not want to discriminate against people with back pain who want to watch. Finally some may even need to be enclosed since the weather in Storrs is not always sunny and dry.

When the band is not using it it could even be used for "other university purposes"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's an idea. How about they just add around 50,000 "temporary" seats as part of this "upgrade" for people who want to enjoy watching the band. The "temporary" seats may need to be firmly anchored with strong steel and concrete support but that of course is just a safety issue. Some of them may even need back supports since back pain is becoming such a serious issue and one would not want to discriminate against people with back pain who want to watch. Finally some may even need to be enclosed since the weather in Storrs is not always sunny and dry.

When the band is not using it it could even be used for "other university purposes"
We don't want The Pride of Connecticut marching around on asphalt either. Really should through a nice turf field in there. It is more realistic and better on our guys knees etc. I have just the spot up on Horsebarn Hill or perhaps on the Separatist tract if you want to keep it closer to it current location.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is great news, they deserve it. I went to that game in the Big House a few years ago. I must admit the UM marching band made a spectacular pregame entrance. But comparing halftime programs, I thought The Pride of Connecticut was clearly better.

Reaction Score
Not that impressed by our band.

It's unforgivable they don't play the full UConn fight song after each touchdown. They play 15 seconds of Uconnnnnnnnnn Huskyyyyyyy...end scene. Sounds terrible on TV. They only play the fight song after the extra point and by then TV has gone to commercials. Too late. You miss it entirely. The full UConn Husky fight song should start immediately after the touchdown...play softer for the extra point...than start up loud again. Not that hard. Marching band 101.

Pep band is even worse with their obsession with Neck and Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake.

Reaction Score

It's unforgivable they don't play the full UConn fight song after each touchdown. They play 15 seconds of Uconnnnnnnnnn Huskyyyyyyy...end scene. Sounds terrible on TV. They only play the fight song after the extra point and by then TV has gone to commercials. Too late. You miss it entirely. The full UConn Husky fight song should start immediately after the touchdown...play softer for the extra point...than start up loud again. Not that hard. Marching band 101.

Pep band is even worse with their obsession with Neck and Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake.

You're an idiot. There's no other words to describe you.

Reaction Score

The fact you took the time to actually write this useless post tells all of us what a moron you are!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

As a former band director - don't get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be nice - you know little about marching bands.

Reaction Score

Your avatar and knowledge with this statement speaks volumes....;) Pun intended.....101
Take some time to do some research on what the band is allowed to play and when. It's unforgivable that a fan dishing out slander has no understanding of what the band is allowed to do. For one the song is too long to be played after a touchdown for TV or in house promo reasons. 15 seconds of UConn Huskyyy has a reason.

I would advise some interaction with the staff to gain some insight on what really goes on for the band. If you attend games the band sets up hours before the game behind the scoreboard handicap lot. Dr Mills, Marvin McNeill, Jessica and any number of assistants are available and will gladly converse and answer questions.
You ask that the band plays softer for the extra point. :confused: That would draw a flag on the home team as the band cannot play while the game is in play.

Think you should research Marching band 102.....Head bang

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I took the dog for a swim today at Mansfield Hollow and noticed the horns section practicing by Mirror Lake. I swear it's the only thing I noticed while looking around campus this beautiful late summer day. :cool:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The band needs work. Not as much as the FB team but work none the less.
Greatness mean not settling for the uninsipring pregame show that has extended moments of silence and milling about.

Reaction Score
Good for the band.

Why doesn't the football practice fields have a tower?

Reaction Score
Greatness mean not settling for the uninsipring pregame show that has extended moments of silence and milling about.

Give me a break. The problem isn't the pregame; there's plenty of inspiring music and movement. Many visitors have mentioned how great our band is and applaud during our pregame. The problem is our own fans are outside the stadium still watering down at their tailgates. There's no buzz, no excitement, no people! I could offer $100 to anyone seated at the pre-game and risk very little. Put our pre-game in a stadium full of cheering fans and it's a different experience. Don't believe it? Watch Auburn's pre-game and ours. Now picture their presentation performing for our empty stadium and ours performing our exact same pregame down there. Think they'd be blasé? Think we'd display that degree of spirit? Our band works extremely hard performing for an embarrassingly (and insultingly) small crowd. That's not on the band, that's on us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom