Uconn Athletic Department Revenue And Expenses For 2010-2011 Released | The Boneyard

Uconn Athletic Department Revenue And Expenses For 2010-2011 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.ope.ed.gov/athletics/Ins...4743d31312f332f3230313120333a31323a343720504d

Department of Education
Equity in Athletics

Total Revenue
$63,043,322

Total Expenses
$62,948,800

Football Revenue
$17,528,602

Football Expenses
$17,901,730

Basketball Revenue
$7,924,225

Basketball Expenses
$8,341,406

Before you go bat crazy on me, I understand that this data is only collected for the purposes of gender equity, but it is where all the lazy journalists get their information about how much a program "makes". The numbers aren't exactly what they appear to be, but that doesn't stop the stories from coming out.

For an explanation, http://articles.courant.com/2010-07...ials-football-program-uconn-athletic-director

Reaction Score
It is to some degree silliness...but even if it were true, if you look at comparable numbers for say a 1AA program, like Villanova, despite winning a national championship it lost $5 million. Before going to 1A, UCONN lost about $3.5 million on football annually.

Reaction Score
Does this include paying to play in the BCS bowl?

Reaction Score
How are we only making $8M in basketball when UL is making $40M? UCONN needs to do a better job market our basketball programs to the press. I am sure UCONN makes around $18M in basketball for men when you take in donations etc, but press will keep referring to that $7.9M number forever.

Reaction Score
if those numbers are to be believed there is a bit of an oddity there. overall we're profitable, which is great obviously, but we're losing money on both of the "money making" sports. the anecdote is that "football/basketball pays for every other sport", but presumably our women's basketball program is doing all the heavy lifting. Geno should have a statue on campus if that's the case.

Reaction Score
It's all about how you report revenue. There is no standard on reporting. Uconn reports that it made 25m from BB and FB combined but a total of 63m. So where did the other 38m come from? It's all about how it is reported and thus you cannot compare to other schools.

Reaction Score
How are we only making $8M in basketball when UL is making $40M? UCONN needs to do a better job market our basketball programs to the press. I am sure UCONN makes around $18M in basketball for men when you take in donations etc, but press will keep referring to that $7.9M number forever.

Different accounting practices.

Reaction Score
Not enough info to show profitability. Says nothing about direct institutional support or student fees.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Accounting methodology may be a small part of it but the reality is that we aren't even close to Louisville in terms of attendance, ticket revenues or donations in men's basketball. Their revenue in this sport is stagerring when compared to the field. Only schools like Kentucky and UNC are in the same ballpark (Cuse in attendance but not donations, Duke in donations but not attendance).

Reaction Score
Accounting methodology may be a small part of it but the reality is that we aren't even close to Louisville in terms of attendance, ticket revenues or donations in men's basketball. Their revenue in this sport is stagerring when compared to the field. Only schools like Kentucky and UNC are in the same ballpark (Cuse in attendance but not donations, Duke in donations but not attendance).

I wouldn't call it small. Looking at the 2005 figures (which break things down by sport), Louisville was including contributions under basketball, and UConn wasn't. Back then, UConn was at 47 total revenues for sports and Louisville was at 41 million. That gave Louisville a 9 million bump under basketball. I also noticed that Louisville was including conference revenues from TV by sport while UConn wasn't.

So, though I'm sure you're right about outstanding support at Louisville, I would not say the accounting difference in not considerable. It could be as high as $10 million in contributions plus $7 million in TV/conference money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we really do want to be viewed as a blue blood men's hoops program we need to step up our game significantly in terms of support (both physically and monetarily).

A couple years back (the last time I saw the numbers) both Marquette & Xavier had better attendance and considerably higher donations for men's basketball than we did. I have to think that this is something that Hathaway (in part by not replacing the fundraiser who left and in part by believing the job of promoting/marketing the program would do itself) dropped the ball on. Yes, the economy played a role but the last I checked southwestern Ohio was hit far worse than we were while Milwaukee was not spared by the collapse.

By all rights we should already be well past the point where people are b!tch!ng about Gampel being far too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom