UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses

Reaction Score
If the minor sports have so many "funders" how are they losing 23 million a year? How does the best Women's basketball team in the country with just 13 scholarships lose 3 million? On a per scholarship basis they lose much more than football which seems impossible.

UConn should hire the accounting guy from Louisville's athletic department. If I remember correctly, the Cards keep all of the money from games at the Yum Center and the operating expenses for their games there are charged to the arena instead of the athletic department.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These stories are not net positives for UCONN but there is some good news tucked in between the gloom and doom. UCONN had revenues of 40 million dollars last year exclusive of institutional support and students fees. $40 million!

By comparison, the best of UCONN's AAC compadres pulled in 34 million (Cincy), 32 million (Houston), 30 million (Memphis) and 29 million (UCF and ECU). Nobody in the AAC is able to compete on the level of the P5 without dipping into the pockets of taxpayers and/or students. Benedict and his staff are doing better than anyone, however, in raising their own revenue even with poor to middling performances by the FB and MBB teams.

I think as the product gets better, and the AAC receives a new media deal, revenue will rise. Then "all" the university will need to do is get better control of AD expenses. Whether that is doable without eliminating some sports remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
How is UConn losing $3M on hockey? The most recent revenue numbers I can find state that in 16-17, the hockey program took in ~$3.4M in revenue, to lose that much they'd have to spend $6.4M. For comparison, Minnesota, arguably the biggest name program in the country, has never spent that much on hockey, ever. So if UConn is spending over $6M, what the hell is it on?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How is UConn losing $3M on hockey? The most recent revenue numbers I can find state that in 16-17, the hockey program took in ~$3.4M in revenue, to lose that much they'd have to spend $6.4M. For comparison, Minnesota, arguably the biggest name program in the country, has never spent that much on hockey, ever. So if UConn is spending over $6M, what the hell is it on?

You already posted this and were given the answer.

Playing at XL.

The hockey team is the biggest boondoggle on the balance sheet.

Reaction Score

Playing at XL.

Sorry, the post isn't showing up for me. Looked and couldn't find it in my activity history and it was gone, figured I'd never pressed send.

Reaction Score

Playing at XL.

Last I could find - under the old multi-year contract which expired by a few years back (?2015?) the XL rental/lease cost per game was $50k. They are currently year-to-year I believe.

What is there -17/18 games a year there? That accounts for $1m on the high end.

Reaction Score
I think cutting at least a half dozen sports is inevitable.
So you are thinking Men's X-C, Women's X-C, Men's Swimming and Diving, Women's Swimming and Diving, Men's Golf, Men's Tennis, and Women's Tennis? That's seven of the lowest profile sports, but how much will that save?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Last I could find - under the old multi-year contract which expired by a few years back (?2015?) the XL rental/lease cost per game was $50k. What is there -17/18 games a year there? That accounts for $1m on the high end.

Hmmmm it’s UConn. Just think of the craziest expenses you can dream of.

Was there a HE entry fee they are spreading over multiple years?

Were they buying radio time for broadcasts?

Do they owe Diaco?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So you are thinking Men's X-C, Women's X-C, Men's Swimming and Diving, Women's Swimming and Diving, Men's Golf, Men's Tennis, and Women's Tennis? That's seven of the lowest profile sports, but how much will that save?
About $150 dollars, but it’s on the table to show all things are serious and they are serious.

Reaction Score
About $150 dollars, but it’s on the table to show all things are serious and they are serious.
One way to look at it. But creating a meaningless demonstration that solves nothing yet deprives hundreds of student athletes the opportunity to do their sport at their top state university seems a bit stupid to me.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
For better or worse, Title XI will ensure that the softball stadium does get an upgrade. Soccer is used by both men's and women's teams (women's lax, too?) and with the donation noted, should be safe.
women's lax plays on the field inside the track behind gampel.

Reaction Score
With regard to Title 9 and non revenue sports saying 'drop all non revenue sports' is not as simple as it seems.
20 years ago Providence College dropped their baseball team as well as Tennis, Golf, and swimming. There was a huge uproar as baseball was the school's oldest sport, and was good enough to win the Big East and to lose to Florida State just before the College World Series.
In this era of Politics and Me Too imagine the liberal uproar if non revenue women's sports like women's hockey get cut.
One thing I haven't seen on voluminous threads on NBE/UConn is the value of regional rivalries. When I went to PC, my parents, who were UConn women's season ticket holders, would come to games when UConn woul play at Providence. Anecdotally I would see families / friends who had family members who went to both schools and that weekend would have a 'reunion ' of sorts. Highly doubt there are families that have members that go to both UConn and say, East Carolina. Olympic sports also benefited from his trips to UConn, New York, and Philly.
UConn is logical as an 11th member as Dayton and St. Louis teams' profile has fallen off and Gonzaga is too far away.
The whole point is moot if NBE president don't offer UConn a slot, and as someone said months ago, $$$ from NBE payout only works if Football is dropped or goes Independent or FCS.

Reaction Score
At my alma mater...there are 34 Competitive Club Sports..clubs have no schollies, and the students compete on their own dime...using university supplied facilities

Sports like men' soccer, men and women's lacrosse, crew, men and women's rugby, men and women's water polo, etc. that are not represented in NCAA teams of the university.

Lacrosse, for example, plays in the Southeastern Lacrosse Conference...along with Clemson, GT, VT, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Wake, Georgia...

Men's soccer plays in the Southeast Collegiate Soccer Alliance League (Region 2).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At my alma mater...there are 34 Competitive Club Sports..clubs have no schollies, and the students compete on their own dime...using university supplied facilities

Sports like men' soccer, men and women's lacrosse, crew, men and women's rugby, men and women's water polo, etc. that are not represented in NCAA teams of the university.

Lacrosse, for example, plays in the Southeastern Lacrosse Conference...along with Clemson, GT, VT, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Wake, Georgia...

Men's soccer plays in the Southeast Collegiate Soccer Alliance League (Region 2).

I did a club sport myself, its fun; but, a lot of work, even more driving, and its 4 or more guys to a hotel room.

Its great that FSU does offer such; economics and legal (Title XI) are part of the reason. While schools like UConn, ND, UNC, Stanford had strong men's and women's soccer programs for decades, FSU (and Florida, Texas A&M, Auburn, etc.), the sport changed in the early 2000's when due to XI mandates began to pour money into Women's Soccer and other programs in order to try to make-up the imbalance caused by the money and scholarships that go into mens' football. Of the top NCCA Top 25 women's soccer teams at the end of 2018, 23 play FBS football and 10 do not have a men's soccer program. Also, some of the programs you mentioned have both - a club and varsity program, UNC being the prime example.

Then of course, because we're talking college kids, there's this league, which FSU does have a team in...Teams | US Quidditch

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
LOL @ “in the era of Politics and Me Too”

Around how long has Title IX been on the books?

Reaction Score
The end started the
Great timing: UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses - Hartford Courant

>>The biggest individual team culprit of the UConn athletic department’s 2018 deficit was the school’s football program, which lost $8.7 million. Additionally, men’s basketball lost about $5 million, women’s basketball lost about $3.1 million and the rest of the school’s sports lost about $22.3 million among them.

Ticket sales during the 2017-18 season showed the men’s basketball team had its lowest attendance numbers in 30 years, which led to a reduction in revenue generated by the team. While the revenue produced by the football program held even from the previous year, the women’s basketball team saw an increase of about $1.2 million thanks, in part, to improved attendance.<<
Great timing: UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses - Hartford Courant

>>The biggest individual team culprit of the UConn athletic department’s 2018 deficit was the school’s football program, which lost $8.7 million. Additionally, men’s basketball lost about $5 million, women’s basketball lost about $3.1 million and the rest of the school’s sports lost about $22.3 million among them.

Ticket sales during the 2017-18 season showed the men’s basketball team had its lowest attendance numbers in 30 years, which led to a reduction in revenue generated by the team. While the revenue produced by the football program held even from the previous year, the women’s basketball team saw an increase of about $1.2 million thanks, in part, to improved attendance.<<

The end started the day Randi quit and Susan started. It’s been a series of very bad decisions since then ! Horrible teams and a 40 million $ deficit didn’t happen overnight

Reaction Score
They both are disasters for UConn. At the same time, the taxpayers of CT are subsidizing the entity (ESPN) that could have used its influence to avoid this whole disaster.
Best post so far in 2019. Been saying for years, ESPN needs to feel Connecticut's wrath. They have not only been terrible corporate neighbors but, they have actively sabotaged UConn getting into a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
It looks like Rutgers lost as much money as UConn has over the last several years; but, there is no panic in New Brunswick because the fracking B1G is expected to give them a $43.7 Million check in 2021. I need a drink...

Rutgers report details how much money athletics will receive from Big Ten, and you won't believe the numbers

Here is how CSS estimates Rutgers’ future payouts from the Big Ten to go:
Year: B1G full-distribution estimate | RU estimated distribution
  • 2018: $50,000,000 | $23,841,721
  • 2019: $51,500,000 | $26,242,246
  • 2020: $53,045,000 | $28,643,801
  • 2021: $54,636,350 | $43,705,600
  • 2022: $56,275,441 | $46,029,566
  • 2023: $57,963,704 | $48,941,204
  • 2024: $59,702,615 | $50,970,215
  • 2025: $61,493,693 | $53,055,193
  • 2026: $63,338,504 | $56,178,379
  • 2027: $65,238,659 | $65,238,659
  • 2028: $67,195,819 | $67,195,819
  • 2029: $69,211,694 | $69,211,694

Reaction Score
Here is how CSS estimates Rutgers’ future payouts from the Big Ten to go:
Year: B1G full-distribution estimate | RU estimated distribution
  • 2029: $69,211,694 | $69,211,694

I don't often pity Rutgers' athletic department; but, I do have a twinge of sympathy for them every time they have to talk to their Faculty Union, which is basically a bunch of folks who are still mad that they work for a State U and not the Ivy U down Route 1. If they had their way, they would dismantle the entire Athletic Department.

Rutgers faculty union blasts athletics report while calling on President Barchi to decrease spending on sports

Reaction Score
This is what worries me the most. How are smaller schools going to compete in any meaningful way? I know the P5 members don’t care, but this divide is going to continue to grow. I’d rather have $70M from the B1G and deal with an annoying Faculty Union (who will never get their way, imho).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom