UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agree, except that virtually no one pays full freight.

They collect the full freight though. Nobody cares if mommy or Chase writes the check.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They collect the full freight though. Nobody cares if mommy or Chase writes the check.
Do they though? What about merit grants?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity does anyone know the exact costs associated with renting the XL Center for a basketball game and Rentschler for a football game? Also assume you have to take into account lost revenues from parking, concessions, etc.

Reaction Score
LOL. BCU is the cabbose in everything, they neither planned nor executed anything.
Statements from former BC AD DeFilippo clearly state that their goal was to the New England's only representative to the P5. They began the action when they and Miami were the first of the Big East defectors and traitors.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Statements from former BC AD DeFilippo clearly state that their goal was to the New England's only representative to the P5. They began the action when they and Miami were the first of the Big East defectors and traitors.

When are people gonna learn that Gene was just mouthing off with nothing behind it?

So he said, it, who cares. Doesn't mean anything. Dude has an ego, that's it, there's no deeper meaning there.

Reaction Score

Gene didn't make any decisions of any kind and he had no influence in the ACC. Regardless of their goals, BCU had no power to make anything happen. These statements by GD after the fact were the equivalent of a roster taking credit for the sunrise.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do they though? What about merit grants?

Merit grants that UConn provides? Unless there is secret money somewhere it comes from the operating budget or a third party.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity does anyone know the exact costs associated with renting the XL Center for a basketball game and Rentschler for a football game? Also assume you have to take into account lost revenues from parking, concessions, etc.

Under current lease contract with the State which expires in 2023 - UConn is on the hook for any revenue shortfall up to a $25k annually in addition to the $170k game day (x 6 game minimum) cost.

“UConn keeps revenues from ticket sales, merchandise sales, and sponsorship, and the stadium keeps concession and parking revenues. If concession and parking revenues do not cover all operating expenses, CRDA may charge UConn to make up the difference.

Edit add... UConn/CDRA/Global Spectrum/XL lease is now a year to year agreement - but under old multi-year agreement which expired it was $50k per event.

Reaction Score
I don't think so.

View attachment 38431
And that doesn't include Merit Scholarships.

But the aid doesn't necessarily come from the school - meaning the school gets the $ as if they paid full freight. And scholarship money that comes from the foundation doesn't count either - because the school gets the payout from the endowment.

My son gets a roughly $25K academic scholarship from his school - and I don't know if that means that they are just "charging us less" or if they are actually taking money from some endowed fund and "paying" the school on his behalf.

Maybe @upstater can tell us how this stuff works?

Reaction Score
There's a Title IX problem with that. Need to offset football schollies. So Field Hockey, plus whatever else you choose. Strongly doubt that new soccer/baseball/softball fields will be scrapped.
UConn got full D-1 women's hockey with membership in Hockey East more than a decade before the men because of football. That was the direct Title 9 trade.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Merit grants that UConn provides? Unless there is secret money somewhere it comes from the operating budget or a third party.
So you think UConn grants are made from a separate account rather than reduced tuition? I don't know the answer but if you are debiting an account labeled Merit Scholarship Pool for $100 and crediting an account labeled Tuition Revenue for $100, that's still a net nothing, right?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So I have a few questions. How does UConn have this massive deficit but other G5 schools don't? How come we don't hear about ECU or Tulane or Ohio or Western Michigan having these deficits? They clearly don't make up for it in basketball or TV revenue? Definitely not in ticket sales. So why is this a problem at UConn and not elsewhere?

Second, where does the FCS football team play? Memorial is gone and there's no way they put games at The Rent and pay that rent money. Then what does the state do with the stadium? It would be empty outside the random soccer game here or there. Is the state willing to have that happen. Same with the XL Center?

Finally, how does joining the BE save the revenue issue. So we drop some travel costs and schollys for FB. However, the BE TV deal isn't huge and is up for renegotiation soon. Can't see how that fully cuts that revenue gap.

The issue shouldn't be the 8.5 or 5 million tags for football or basketball. It's the 22.1 million spent on non revenue sports. Why are we wasting money on new facilities that are costing us more money than they bring in? That's the head scratcher for me. I get the Title IX part but they don't need all those programs to make up for that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I have a few questions. How does UConn have this massive deficit but other G5 schools don't? How come we don't hear about ECU or Tulane or Ohio or Western Michigan having these deficits? They clearly don't make up for it in basketball or TV revenue? Definitely not in ticket sales. So why is this a problem at UConn and not elsewhere?
If UConn is dying, so is the entire AAC, as illustrated by these articles from the past year:

Cincy with $102 million deficit between 2014 and 2017:
Soaring subsidies: UC’s four-year athletic deficit up to nearly $102 million

45% of Houston's AD budget from student fees (but luckily they have that billionaire benefactor):
University of Houston faces a widening money gap to keep pace in big-time sports

40% of UCF's AD budget from student fees (which will probably increase once they stop making New Years' 6 bowls):
UCF athletics apply student fees in attempt to bridge financial handicap

Basically, the upper half of the conference is deficit spending or relying heavily on subsidies from other university funds like student fees in an attempt to remain attractive to the P5 if there is more expansion at the next window. To most of these schools, taking on water seems like the best plan while hoping and waiting for a lifeline from the P5. I hope for UConn's sake that lifeline comes (to us), but I'm preparing for another painful kick to the groin. As some have noted, as the revenue gap grows, the P5 may lose incentive to throw any more lifelines.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But the aid doesn't necessarily come from the school - meaning the school gets the $ as if they paid full freight. And scholarship money that comes from the foundation doesn't count either - because the school gets the payout from the endowment.

My son gets a roughly $25K academic scholarship from his school - and I don't know if that means that they are just "charging us less" or if they are actually taking money from some endowed fund and "paying" the school on his behalf.

Maybe @upstater can tell us how this stuff works?

It would seem awfully difficult to do any accounting that doesn’t have transactions in to make them whole for the full cost. How would you manage the fund otherwise?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its clear MBB is a liability. Shut it down.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UConn got full D-1 women's hockey with membership in Hockey East more than a decade before the men because of football. That was the direct Title 9 trade.
+ entirely new women’s crew

Reaction Score
The $14.1 million mentioned, was that net or gross revenue? Do we know?

C

Chief00

If its accurate then don't release anything. If its grossly in accurate or missing major chucks of revenue /royalties/etc, I think its foolish to not address it. You could issue a statement or pick a couple of your favorite reporters to write your version of the story.
The UConn Foundation offsets may not be part of this breakdown. Donors give money for basketball priority seating.

Reaction Score
When are people gonna learn that Gene was just mouthing off with nothing behind it?

So he said, it, who cares. Doesn't mean anything. Dude has an ego, that's it, there's no deeper meaning there.
He is a bad guy.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't think there is any way around UConn having to shut down, at least temporarily, some of its non-revenue Olympic sports. An $81M AD budget is along the lines of several P5 ADs but without the benefit of having P5 money. We are certainly paying our Old Money Club penance for being far too slow to bring football up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom