UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses

Reaction Score
Great timing: UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses - Hartford Courant

>>The biggest individual team culprit of the UConn athletic department’s 2018 deficit was the school’s football program, which lost $8.7 million. Additionally, men’s basketball lost about $5 million, women’s basketball lost about $3.1 million and the rest of the school’s sports lost about $22.3 million among them.

Ticket sales during the 2017-18 season showed the men’s basketball team had its lowest attendance numbers in 30 years, which led to a reduction in revenue generated by the team. While the revenue produced by the football program held even from the previous year, the women’s basketball team saw an increase of about $1.2 million thanks, in part, to improved attendance.<<

So, I believe that you'll see the deficit coming down in both football and basketball when the teams starts winning. I think football will turn it around next year, but we'll still lose money, because most football fans in CT are fair weather fans. (JMO, but I saw it when I was in Connecticut. Not only football fans, but Connecticut do not support losers.). I believe that you'll - if we can win games next year - that fans will come back...8 years of PP and BD, turned people away.

Reaction Score
Thoughts and Prayers for Fraser's $1mm check last week. When the AD goes belly-up in 5 years i can't wait to see what the knucklehead administration converts Shenkman into.....

Reaction Score
If cuts need to be made, cut everything but Basketball, Football and Hockey. Those are the only three sports that generate real interest.

I'm a baseball fan first, but big time college baseball in the Northeast is a joke because of the weather. They spend the first month of the season on the road and then come home to snow, ice and rain, as soon as it gets warm out they are back in Florida for the season ending tournament.......and enough with the we used to be great in soccer, nobody cared then and nobody cares now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does anyone member when @jimmyserraro was mocked for suggesting the football program be dropped? i do...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Spin it any way, this is the beginning of the end of our AD as we know it.
don't tease us - you do mean the db DB, right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone member when @jimmyserraro was mocked for suggesting the football program be dropped? i do...
People here thought HF.D was a lunatic. Search posts by @Voldemort everything he said SIX YEARS AGO is exactly how all this has played out.

but the blue goggled mods couldnt handle the truth. Shame

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
People here thought HF.D was a lunatic. Search posts by @Voldemort everything he said SIX YEARS AGO is exactly how all this has played out.

I mean... he was a lunatic... but he understood the urgency then much better than most.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If cuts need to be made, cut everything but Basketball, Football and Hockey. Those are the only three sports that generate real interest.

I'm a baseball fan first, but big time college baseball in the Northeast is a joke because of the weather. They spend the first month of the season on the road and then come home to snow, ice and rain, as soon as it gets warm out they are back in Florida for the season ending tournament..and enough with the we used to be great in soccer, nobody cared then and nobody cares now.

If they aren’t going to drop football the sport to drop is hockey. They lose bundles renting XL and when that is shuttered they are homeless.

Then they can shelve the pathetic building they were going to waste money on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

i/got/a/feeling/not/everything/worked/out

Reaction Score
Shenkman 2025: The Susan Herbst Center for Diversity, Inclusion, and Acceptance

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I'm a baseball fan first, but big time college baseball in the Northeast is a joke because of the weather. They spend the first month of the season on the road and then come home to snow, ice and rain, as soon as it gets warm out they are back in Florida for the season ending tournament..and enough with the we used to be great in soccer, nobody cared then and nobody cares now.
That's crazy
Baseball, Soccer and Field Hockey are important to the school
Besides all this talk of cutting sport no way due to regs etc will the gov't allow UConn to keep one or two women's sports

Reaction Score
That's crazy
Baseball, Soccer and Field Hockey are important to the school
Besides all this talk of cutting sport no way due to regs etc will the gov't allow UConn to keep one or two women's sports

Football with its 85 scholarships keeps several women's sports alive (including field hockey) so that part of your argument is BS.......and please elaborate on the importance of baseball and soccer with attendance and TV viewership figures. If few purchase tickets to attend and nobody watches on TV (if they are even on TV) it's probably not nearly as important as you think it is.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don’t see how anyone gets a prize or pat for predicting the hard times we would have post big east. It was very foreseeable. It’s why board has been a basketcase since the AAC was born. It’s just that not everyone comes here to only talk doom and gloom.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
A majority of the football deficit can be directly tied to attendance. When we had a full stadium- we were earning another $6Million in ticket revenue. If we could get attendance up...…..

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t see how anyone gets a prize or pat for predicting the hard times we would have post big east. It was very foreseeable. It’s why board has been a basket cast since the AAC was born. It’s just that not everyone comes here to only talk doom and gloom.

@CTMike You wanna tell Jimmy or should I?

Reaction Score
To anyone who thinks UCONN should drop football, please remember that the state of CT also funds a full scholarship football team at Central, can we please make sure that program is eliminated by the state before we eliminate the one that people actually care about.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@CTMike You wanna tell Jimmy or should I?
Jimmy grayed out again? Jimbo has a difficult time using this forum. I think he’s too tough for the soft hands that frequent this place. He should be coaching a pee wee football program somewhere, turning boys to men.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To anyone who thinks UCONN should drop football, please remember that the state of CT also funds a full scholarship football team at Central, can we please make sure that program is eliminated by the state before we eliminate the one that people actually care about.

It’s 40 scholarships and the CSU funding is going to go to zero in the next budget so they will be scrambling to keep the lights on.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Central completely drops athletics completely. They left their AD position vacant for 10 months to save on the run rate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Jimmy grayed out again? Jimbo has a difficult time using this forum. I think he’s too tough for the soft hands that frequent this place. He should be coaching a pee wee football program somewhere, turning boys to men.

Jimbo is an insightful poster who gets what is going on better than 98% of the sycophants who post here. But insight and quality of post aren’t the metrics that keep one in good graces.

Reaction Score
It’s 40 scholarships and the CSU funding is going to go to zero in the next budget so they will be scrambling to keep the lights on.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Central completely drops athletics completely. They left their AD position vacant for 10 months to save on the run rate.

Fine, but lets see that happen before UCONN football gets cut.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fine, but lets see that happen before UCONN football gets cut.

Not really how it works... UConn gets a block grant that it determines how to use.

But the CSU will stupidly be completely destroyed by the legislature in the next cycle.
I suspect all sports at Central are DOA.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how the cost of a scholarship is determined in this 40 million budget deficit figure? Are they costing a scholarship out at retail value, or real incremental cost to the school?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom