Uconn at a crossroads - Zags Blog (j. Silver) | The Boneyard

Uconn at a crossroads - Zags Blog (j. Silver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I am an ignoramus when it comes to basketball. But my take is this: If a skank like Memphis can carve out success in a raided CUSA then a quality school like UConn should be able to continue to succeed in the Big East or the proposed "national conference".

Nothing can replace what Big East basketball was for sure.

This has been pointed out by others, but much of Memphis' success can be attributed to the methods of John Calipari and the complete lack of admissions standards.

Reaction Score
Plus for some of that time L'ville and Cincy were in the league with Memphis.

And we are talking about success as compared to the success that Uconn has had. There has really been almost no better program in the country than the Huskies over the last 15 years. Can Uconn be successful? yes. But, I think you need a good conference affiliation with top notch games and television exposure to keep that up. Otherwise you become Xavier (and this is not a knock on them, a very good program, but not what Uconn fans have become accustomed to)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And we are talking about success as compared to the success that Uconn has had. There has really been almost no better program in the country than the Huskies over the last 15 years. Can Uconn be successful? yes. But, I think you need a good conference affiliation with top notch games and television exposure to keep that up. Otherwise you become Xavier (and this is not a knock on them, a very good program, but not what Uconn fans have become accustomed to)

Exactly. The better comparison than Memphis might be Gonzaga. They have remained relevant, but don't get the attention and haven't been able to win a championship. They are swimming upstream against the odds all the time, and are fortunate that Mark Few has stayed with them. Make no mistake, this new league will suck for basketball. And don't forget the money. The league splits the NCAA Shares. So the more teams the Big East put in the tournament, and the deeper they went, the more we made. The BE NCAA shares are worth more to the basketball schools than the TV money, over $2M a year. You can kiss that money goodbye.

Reaction Score
It seems pretty likely that there will be more movement in the B1G and ACC over the next 1-2 years. So it's really a matter of weathering the storm and maintaining until we get the call. Assuming everyone comes back next season I think we have the potential to be a top 10-15 team, and that will make recruiting easier. It is imperative we schedule the most challenging teams Indiana, Kansas, UNC etc. In 1979 we weren't a national brand with 3 national titles in the bank. And if anyone can get it done it's Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The better comparison than Memphis might be Gonzaga. They have remained relevant, but don't get the attention and haven't been able to win a championship. They are swimming upstream against the odds all the time, and are fortunate that Mark Few has stayed with them. Make no mistake, this new league will suck for basketball. And don't forget the money. The league splits the NCAA Shares. So the more teams the Big East put in the tournament, and the deeper they went, the more we made. The BE NCAA shares are worth more to the basketball schools than the TV money, over $2M a year. You can kiss that money goodbye.
Programs like Gonzaga and Butler are nice stories and any mid major should take their template and run with it. But this simply is not what UCONN basketball is and help me god if that is what UCONN has to aspire to become in the future. Let me remind you that we have been one of the three most dominant programs in the past 20 years with 3 titles and 4 final fours. UCONN is a giant in college hoops, a great springboard for elite recruits to realize their potential and fulfill their dreams at the next level. We as a fanbase and more importantly our administration needs to embrace that and stop settling for mediocrity.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Programs like Gonzaga and Butler are nice stories and any mid major should take their template and run with it. But this simply is not what UCONN basketball is and help me god if that is what UCONN has to aspire to become in the future. Let me remind you that we have been one of the three most dominant programs in the past 20 years with 3 titles and 4 final fours. UCONN is a giant in college hoops, a great springboard for elite recruits to realize their potential and fulfill their dreams at the next level. We as a fanbase and more importantly our administration needs to embrace that and stop settling for mediocrity.

You are preaching to the choir here. But what exactly do you exepct the administration to do? I'm merely pointing out that our current path is one that presents some real challenges to the basketball program. The football program already has challenges.

Reaction Score
The key is keeping the conference tour. at MSG. NYC kids want to play at MSG and near their home that is why very few over the years end up in the ACC. NYC is our main recruiting area and if the NBE retains MSG we will be OK. Also look for Houston to be on the rise. They are 8-2. Start 5 under classmen. Many of them were 4 star recruits. They will have some growing pains this year but look for them to make the NCAA tour. the next two years.

Reaction Score

And those schools were successful because they went out and hired big time coaches. Memphis hired Calipari, Louisville spent what it took to hire Pitino, Cincinnati hired Huggy Bear. Of the 3 only Huggins wasn't a name, but they spent what it took to keep him until the scandals that finally rocked the team. That is what you do to succeed in a mid-major conference. You don't hire some former player who nobody has ever heard of outside your fan base. You think when Rick Pitino called a recruit, the kid cared what conference it was? Hell no. It was Rick Pitino on the phone. Same with Calipari. Same with Huggins. Those guys have to borrow a term from Susan Herbst, gravitas. And that is what UConn needs to do. We have a chance to make that move in April. Bring in a big time coach, whatever it costs. and that is what will save UConn basketball. Otherwise, we'll be lucky to be Xavier.

It is so interesting that people here are more concerned with protecting Jim Calhoun's feelings that they are with maintaining a championship basketball program. When the Big East, even the weakened Big East was in the picture, you could make the case that you could take a flyer on Ollie. But with the changing conference situation, that simply is not a realistic direction to take any more. He is a non-entity and non-entities in the mid-major world deliver mid-level teams. You need big names to bring big time teams consistently.

Reaction Score
You are preaching to the choir here. But what exactly do you exepct the administration to do? I'm merely pointing out that our current path is one that presents some real challenges to the basketball program. The football program already has challenges.
I expect the administration to do the same as any self-respecting person to do.................sell the university for what it is, be the aggressor, and stop waiting around hoping for things to come to you. If realignment has taught me anything, is that "illusion is real". again, i think uconn needs to be the aggressor. the more time we stand idle, accepting our fate for what is, the more we devalue our brand. i think the administration should break away from the catholic 7, the remaining big east, the new big east and whatever other crap is out of there. GO INDEPENDENT. stand up for uconn, say we dont belong with these other schools, we will stand alone, put our games on SNY, play whoever will play us, and wait for the dust to settle. my guess, is a major conference will feel threatened by this, and scoop us up. right now, there is no urgency because we are standing idle, accepting our fate, devaluing our brand, and looking quite desperate.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn has already passed the crossroads. And they took the wrong turn.

Reaction Score

I have a difficult time comparing UConn to a small Catholic school.

I know what you're saying, but we need to stretch to find comparisons to the situation UConn is in. It is still the only game in the state, with good facilities coming, proximity to recruits in NYC. I can't think of a proper comparison simply because there are no CUSA schools with UConn's profile, currently or in the past. In fact, there's no comparison for this anywhere in the country.

I brought up Oklahoma and Arkansas earlier for comparisons, but of course they are in BCS conferences.

The thing is, however, it's hard to sell Arkansas kids on top competition in the SEC. At best, you say, you can play Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I expect the administration to do the same as any self-respecting person to do.................sell the university for what it is, be the aggressor, and stop waiting around hoping for things to come to you. If realignment has taught me anything, is that "illusion is real". again, i think uconn needs to be the aggressor. the more time we stand idle, accepting our fate for what is, the more we devalue our brand. i think the administration should break away from the catholic 7, the remaining big east, the new big east and whatever other crap is out of there. GO INDEPENDENT. stand up for uconn, say we dont belong with these other schools, we will stand alone, put our games on SNY, play whoever will play us, and wait for the dust to settle. my guess, is a major conference will feel threatened by this, and scoop us up. right now, there is no urgency because we are standing idle, accepting our fate, devaluing our brand, and looking quite desperate.

How can you go independent when February games are conference games?

Reaction Score
How can you go independent when February games are conference games?
you get creative, agree to some home and homes and play on the road...... not ideal, but can certainly be done, esp for the 1 season if that long we would have to do it for.

Reaction Score
UConn was a strong regional power before the BE.
It is even stronger now with or without the conference.
Our schedule will be very good whether you believe it or not.
Our facilities will be the equal of any in the nation.
We are in the middle of one of the best basketball recruiting areas in the country.
Our fan base is large and it ain't going away.
We will still be followed by a large and active media contingent.
And we have made four final fours in the last 13 years and have hung three national championships banner.
And if anyone cares, academically we're one of the finest public universities in the nation.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not accurate. Md an Rutgers got into a better conference than Ville and there was no PR going on. Jurich capitalized on a feud between FSU and tobacco road. The only appearance that matters is that people believe he was the person responsible for getting into the ACC. He wasn't. If it comes to crowing like a peacock to get into the ACC or being quiet to get into the B!G I'm telling SH and WM to stay quiet. The ACC is going to get torn apart like the BE and the last thing I want to see happen is UConn going through this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom