UConn as Arizona '97 | The Boneyard

UConn as Arizona '97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The story is mostly about Florida, but buried in there is this:

"For a better parallel to UConn, I'll take Arizona's 1997 national champs, with their hydra-headed backcourt of Mike Bibby, Miles Simon and Jason Terry. The Huskies' Shabazz Napier is a more dominant presence than any of those three, but Ryan Boatright and swingman DeAndre Daniels give this UConn team two more points of attack than the school's last champions, the 2011 team that featured Kemba Walker and little else.

"I remember stalking the RCA Dome before that 1997 final, hunting for someone -- anyone -- willing to say on the record that Lute Olson's Wildcats would beat Kentucky coach Rick Pitino's, which were only one year removed from their intimidating run to the 1996 title. I found two: UCLA coach Steve Lavin, who knew Arizona painfully well from Pac-10 play; and Dick Jerardi of thePhiladelphia Daily News, who works in a city that knows both good guard play and how it can put a stamp on a tournament game.

"That night Arizona defeated Kentucky, 84-79, and did so from the free-throw line, where the Tucsonites' backcourt threesome sank 22 of 25 shots. Over the past two weeks I've had Zona flashbacks while watching UConn in the clutch: With fewer than five minutes to play and in overtime -- which is to say, when they put the ball in the hands of Napier, Boatright and Daniels -- the Huskies are shooting 92% from the line."

A little unfair to our 2011 team, but I like the comparison. Especially the outcome.

Reaction Score
Napiers game is bibby like. Loved that zona squad so much. Only team other than the huskies I really pulled for . Simon was my guy , now he is a espn analyst

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I loved the '97 Tournament. I loved that UofA beat Kentucky. And I also recall it fondly for watching Fairfield give UNC the scare of their lives.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I loved the '97 Tournament. I loved that UofA beat Kentucky. And I also recall it fondly for watching Fairfield give UNC the scare of their lives.
That's right, and that was like a 17-loss Fairfield team.
Always liked Mike Bibby, he was so key for those Sacramento teams

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
the 2011 team that featured Kemba Walker and little else.
Yeah this makes total sense: nothing besides Kemba, other than, you know, current NBA contributor Jeremy Lamb and the guy who has carried us back to the Final Four. That team just had no one.

Reaction Score
That's right, and that was like a 17-loss Fairfield team.
Always liked Mike Bibby, he was so key for those Sacramento teams

Yeah I was hoping they won at least one title.. too bad Bibby was the only one who had any balls in the clutch. Peja, Christie, Webber all shrunk in crunch time when they had a chance to beat the lakers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Napiers game is bibby like. Loved that zona squad so much. Only team other than the huskies I really pulled for . Simon was my guy , now he is a espn analyst

But didn't he earn extra credit for schtupping the coach's wife?

Reaction Score
UK was a 7 point fav in that game, Florida is 6.5 right now maybe heading to 7...............

Reaction Score
For some reason I thought Arizona was a 7 seed that year, because I remembered they had lost a ton of games, like 9 or 10. I remember thinking they were such HUGE underdogs with such a low rating. Seemed like more similarities. Anyhow, I went back and actually looked it up. They were a 4 seed. So, in a way we have the same seed this year, because if the NCAA didn't screw the AAC then we should have been a 4 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom