UConn/Army is a playoff game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn/Army is a playoff game

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So the eligibility rules apply differently to different bowls? Lots of misinformation out there. Posters on Army's message board think only 1 FCS win can count.

Bowl Hopes - AcademyWars.com

"Army West Point is one of those five-win teams. However, unlike the others, the Black Knights are expected to finish 5-6 instead of 5-7. Army has two wins against FCS opposition and can only count one of those for bowl eligibility."
They'll get a waiver.

Reaction Score
I try not to be condescending or sarcastic whenever possible on the board. Also, I am not questioning the math or the possibilities of getting into a bowl, as I have no idea. What I am wondering is, does anyone question if Coach Mora will fail to motivate this team to perform at their best? Is that even in question? If Division I football players have to be told how important the next game is, I am not even sure what to think.

no team ever has performed it’s best week after week. We came out flat against UMass at home. you can talk about how important everything is but humans aren’t machines.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Sorry, but that quote says exactly the opposite of what is being presented. "Provided Army gains eligibility" is a condition. The contractual obligation is for tie-ins per the schedule if the condition is met. If there are any provisions for an eligibility waiver, they have not been shown in this thread or the other.

Reaction Score
I cannot imagine coach Mora and his staff letting the team go on the field being flat after all they have gone through, achieved, and the possibility of getting selected for a bowl game. I have read on this site, a number of post recommending coach Mora be considered COTY. If so, he will not let them come out not fired up. Army will play hard till the last second of the game. The old man predicts a UConn victory. Wish I could go. GO HUSKIES!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sorry, but that quote says exactly the opposite of what is being presented. "Provided Army gains eligibility" is a condition. The contractual obligation is for tie-ins per the schedule if the condition is met. If there are any provisions for an eligibility waiver, they have not been shown in this thread or the other.
I've seen two different sites say that Army had to get to 7 wins because of the two FCS wins.

Here's one of them:

Reaction Score
I’m not sure. I’m trying to remember if Shizzle has ever been wrong on this site? If he says they only need 6 I would think you can take that to the bank.

Reaction Score
I have run the numbers. Assuming we beat Army we will be the 1st team out with regards to playing in a bowl. If we lose, we might as well forget about it. If Army beats us, there is a decent chance they will go 6-6.

The staff needs to impart this on the players this week. The Liberty game was really big; the Army game is what will ultimately determine if we play in a bowl game. It is win or go home for both squads.
I agree. There are still quite a few teams in established conferences that are still fighting for bowl eligibility over the next several weeks. Yes, we're eligible now, but those schools take precedence if they too become eligible. I say we win we're in, plain and simple. We control our destiny. We lose we're sitting watching the scoreboards for a few weeks (since we've probably finished our season after Saturday much earlier than most). I think Mora and staff will have us ready to compete. This team's been building momentum since the 2nd half meltdown against Ball State. Mindset is clearly different. I'm a ton less cautiously optimistic with this bunch. They showed me a lot last week. We were up at halftime, then, honestly, we looked totally dominated in the 3rd quarter, but we fought til the end in the 4th quarter. We didn't quit...and we won. Momentum for this team is real....This team truly believes it can win now. We're gonna be a problem for Army come Saturday....just sayin....

Reaction Score
In 2020 the NCAA gave waivers so that a bunch of 3 win and 4 win teams could take the bowl spots ahead of a 9-2 Army team. Army was out of any bowl and got into one at the last minute, but after 3 and 4 win SEC teams got picked up and there were no more willing participants left. The NCAA could care less if some Army team was in a bowl, there is not some mythical waiver for them on the way.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
In 2020 the NCAA gave waivers so that a bunch of 3 win and 4 win teams could take the bowl spots ahead of a 9-2 Army team. Army was out of any bowl and got into one at the last minute, but after 3 and 4 win SEC teams got picked up and there were no more willing participants left. The NCAA could care less if some Army team was in a bowl, there is not some mythical waiver for them on the way.
Army likely declined a bowl that year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Army likely declined a bowl that year.
Nope. They played in the Liberty Bowl, losing to WVU.

They were earmarked for the Independence Bowl, and would've gone, but that bowl got cancelled. Between other bowls cancelling and conference affiliations already booked - including the Military Bowl cancelling - there was no bowl left. But some team opted to not go to the Liberty Bowl, offered it to Army, and they went.

There were only 23 non-CFP bowl games played. The threshold was dropped to 5 wins as few teams played a full schedule. There were 52 teams that qualified.

Last edited:

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We. Are. Bowling.
  1. America loves a comeback story.
  2. Mora has been getting spots on Game Day, etc., which generates interest in the program.
  3. UCONN fans, in general, travel well.
  4. UCONN football fans WILL TRAVEL for a bowl game this year.
All of the above means more interest, eyeballs, and ultimately, MONEY for the bowl lucky enough to have us.

We. Are. Bowling.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Nope. They played in the Liberty Bowl, losing to WVU.

They were earmarked for the Independence Bowl, and would've gone, but that bowl got cancelled. Between other bowls cancelling and conference affiliations already booked - including the Military Bowl cancelling - there was no bowl left. But some team opted to not go to the Liberty Bowl, offered it to Army, and they went.

There were only 23 non-CFP bowl games played. The threshold was dropped to 5 wins as few teams played a full schedule. There were 52 teams that qualified.
Point being that was a freak year. In a normal year, if Army gets to 6 wins, one of the military bowls will take them even if they play two FCS teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom