UConn/Army is a playoff game | The Boneyard

UConn/Army is a playoff game

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I have run the numbers. Assuming we beat Army we will be the 1st team out with regards to playing in a bowl. If we lose, we might as well forget about it. If Army beats us, there is a decent chance they will go 6-6.

The staff needs to impart this on the players this week. The Liberty game was really big; the Army game is what will ultimately determine if we play in a bowl game. It is win or go home for both squads.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing we won't be in a bowl. It's too good of a story, Mora is too big of a name. We will find our way into a bowl.

The chance to go 8-5 is reason enough to want to beat Army. That would be incredible.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing we won't be in a bowl. It's too good of a story, Mora is too big of a name. We will find our way into a bowl.

The chance to go 8-5 is reason enough to want to beat Army. That would be incredible.
I did my math wrong: we are second to last in. Army would still get in with six wins even with two FCS because they have a special deal.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I tend to agree. What's the alternative? 6-6 Rice?

Reaction Score
I did my math wrong: we are fourth to last in. Army would still get in with six wins even with two FCS because they have a special deal.
I think we're fine regardless. But we definitely want to win to make it a sure thing, because on the .001% chance we go 6-6 and don't get a bowl because we're without a conference, it will be a really, really bad look for the program and the national sentiment will either be outrage that we're playing, or an indictment of our independent status. And we know how fast the national media can change on us.

Reaction Score
The staff needs to impart this on the players this week. The Liberty game was really big; the Army game is what will ultimately determine if we play in a bowl game. It is win or go home for both squads.

I try not to be condescending or sarcastic whenever possible on the board. Also, I am not questioning the math or the possibilities of getting into a bowl, as I have no idea. What I am wondering is, does anyone question if Coach Mora will fail to motivate this team to perform at their best? Is that even in question? If Division I football players have to be told how important the next game is, I am not even sure what to think.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I try not to be condescending or sarcastic whenever possible on the board. Also, I am not questioning the math or the possibilities of getting into a bowl, as I have no idea. What I am wondering is, does anyone question if Coach Mora will fail to motivate this team to perform at their best? Is that even in question?
No, but I'm not sure if the squad realizes that it is not a sure thing yet.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Thought some bowls were conference affiliated or had a wild card option (so to speak).
They do. If Rice gets to 6 wins, they will qualify for a C-USA bowl as long as the league has the same number of bowl teams (or less) as bowls.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I went through the numbers and unless there are a few upsets I have at the end of the season 79 teams eligible for bowl games with Notre Dame and Liberty getting two spots

AAC with Seven
ACC with Ten
Big Twelve with eight
Big Ten with ten
C-USA with six
MAC with six
Mountain West with six
PAC Twelve with seven
SEC with ten
Sun-Belt with seven
then Notre Dame takes an ACC spot, with BYU with another win they are in a bowl, then Liberty gets an at-large

That leaves two spots and if UConn wins next week I think there is no way they don't get one.

Reaction Score
Army will score points and will shorten the game. Will be the first game this year when we lean heavily on our offense

Reaction Score
Army will score points and will shorten the game. Will be the first game this year when we lean heavily on our offense
As much as I love Army (my dad was a '45 graduate), they have really struggled this year. They only scored a total of 16 points the last two weeks, losing to Air Force and Troy (!). They only had 78 yards on the ground against AFA, but that is still their forte. The Cadets are only 3-3 at home, with wins over Villanova, Colgate and Louisiana-Monroe and losses to UT-SA, Georgia State and Troy. I like our chances.

Reaction Score
I did my math wrong: we are second to last in. Army would still get in with six wins even with two FCS because they have a special deal.
Is it true Army has a special deal? I see people posting everywhere about Army's 2 FCS wins and I can't find anything about a special deal.

Reaction Score
Is it true Army has a special deal? I see people posting everywhere about Army's 2 FCS wins and I can't find anything about a special deal.
Idk the details, but according to CBS's projections, the Independence bowl is earmarked for Army. Ctrl+F Army on this page and you'll see that it's supposed to be an AAC vs. Army matchup that's currently "projected" to be Tulane vs. Coastal Carolina. 2022 College Football Bowl Predictions - NCAA Bowl Game Projections

Reaction Score
From the “Bowl Math” thread:
… but 2 of their current 3 wins are against FCS teams (Colgate & Villanova). Unless they received some special NCAA waiver - historically they can only count one of the two FCS wins towards bowl eligibility.

Army Bowl agreement w/ ESPN - “Provided that Army gains bowl eligibility in each season, the schedule for each year from 2020-2025 will be:

2020: Independence Bowl
2021: ESPN Owned and Operated Bowl Game
2022: Independence Bowl
2023: ESPN Owned and Operated Bowl Game
2024: Independence Bowl
2025: ESPN Owned and Operated Bowl Game”

Reaction Score
From the “Bowl Math” thread:
Maybe I'm missing something and I could very well be. I don't see anything that says Army can count 2 FCS wins towards the 6 win requirement.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm missing something and I could very well be. I don't see anything that says Army can count 2 FCS wins towards the 6 win requirement.
If they get to six regardless of playing 1 or 2 FCS teams, they will play in the Independence bowl. That bowl doesn't care. It's a contracted bowl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom